cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generac vs Onan generator

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
I highly respect the opinions I get here so I am inquiring as I'm looking at a coach that has a Generac generator. I would like to know how well they compare to an Onan in dependability? I have had Onans for the past 12 years and am comfortable with how they operate but know nothing about Generac except seeing them in other RVs. Are parts and service easily available or are they a "red-headed stepchild" in that situation? Replacing it is not something I would want to do after doing that on my old coach a year ago.
Thanks!
Jim & Linda E.
'04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36WDD, 2 slides
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Demco Kar-Bar & baseplate
Brake Buddy Classic

"Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me it won't be easy."
"If I can't buy what I need, I'll make it myself."
27 REPLIES 27

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If its a Kohler engine, and I'd bet it is, there is probably no better engine made. They are used in many heavy hard working commercial equipment.
The generator itself, I know nothing about, except mine has over 1,000 hrs w/ no problems.
But overall, it is a louder Genset than most Onans
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all of the input. I guess we won't pass on a good deal but will be informed about it if the Generac fails in the future. On our present MH except for exercising, we only use it in the summer when driving for A/C or at a rest stop to use the Microwave. We don't boondock otherwise.
Thanks!
Jim & Linda E.
'04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36WDD, 2 slides
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Demco Kar-Bar & baseplate
Brake Buddy Classic

"Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me it won't be easy."
"If I can't buy what I need, I'll make it myself."

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Generac no longer makes RV generators so Onan is about the only choice if buying new.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We rented a Class C with Generac that we used a number of times over the short time we had the RV. It started easily, ran smoothly, and made electricity. We've had two ONAN gensets. The first was a "BFA", ancestor of the Emerald Series. Twin cylinder 1800-RPM MACHINES. Our Microlite 4KY starts, runs, produces too, but I wouldn't call it a "machine." Just something that works. Generac gave me the same impression. A bigger Generac like 5500 might be more like the comparable ONAN Emerald.
Based only on what I've read here, ONAN is the better choice. It may not be all that much better a machine, but offers much wider availability of parts and service. It seems there are more parts on line, more shops willing to work on ONAN but not Generac. Finally with ONAN you can fall back to the professional but expensive Cummins/ONAN truck shops.
Two coaches equal, I'd want the one with ONAN. Better coach with Generac? Probably better off with the better coach, Generac and all.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Now weight determines quality ??
Reread the thread,......he wasn't talkin about batteries !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Onan makes 20 MEGAWATT generators. I prefer KATO and LIMA but that's a whole different ballgame.

Every LAST Generac I sold developed generator problems. Get bit fourteen or nineteen times and it tends to make a person Gun Shy. In short, the comebacks ate any profit involved then went after my wallet.

I paid $2,200 in 1982 for a Kato 12-turn 12.5 KW alternator (without reg). Best money I've ever spent on a generator. But now Kato makes only huge units.

RE: My opinion on Onan versus generac. Too little info here to assess the two's lifespan. Someone who owns a generac or Onan for a mere three thousand hours of use is not an "expert" on durability. Check the WEIGHT difference between the two gen sets. If the Generac turns out to be substantially lighter, it ain't because they use helium in the metal.

raroberts
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a lot of trouble getting parts for my generac 5.5
Now I have low oil pressure and the engine needs tearing down to investigate. It will cost me about $2k extra, but I'm just going to replace my unit with an Onan. So, mu opinion, when you have a choice, don't get a Generac RV gen set.
08 F450 4X4 Lariat
07 Stellar 37' 5W Toyhauler
95 XR600R
03 XR400
07 660 Rhino
75 Z1B

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would be a little leary of the Generac Impact 3600- nice idea, but they seem to have quite a few inverter related problems.
-- Chris Bryant

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Generac 5500 in my 03 mh. PO worked for FEMA and ran it 24/7 for thirty days while in New Orleans after Katrina. I currently have about 1500 hours on it and the only problem I had was a dry rotted fuel line. It's quiet and reliable. I do regular maintenance on it.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Generac generators for RVs are not made anymore. So, you have a choice between Onan, Powertech (if a diesel), paying the big bucks for Kohler, or getting a portable genset.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 5500 Generac is a Kohler engine,...maybe all are. The engine is just as good and service is just as available (maybe more so) as Onan. But........given a choice, I'd take the Onan. While Onan is a noisy pos, the Generac is worse. But that's after using my eu1000 almost exclusively for years,...(solar mixed in).big one for Micro only.
Rich

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Mine (2001) came with a 5.5 GENERAC. Only one major problem,a crankshaft oil seal blew out...oil all over the place. Had a shop remove, rebuild and reinstall. Around 2300 bucks. HOWEVER....during Sandy, I started it up and with an extension cord nightmare, the genny provided lights and TV and the fridge for 4 straight days. It RAN for 4 straight days! (The motorhomes' 75 gallon gas tank..recently filled, helped out too!)
Reading here on the Forum, either GENERAC or ONAN...both are good, both have problems. And...btw, parts for GENERAC are available. Dealers seem really far and few between, so any major work...find a good shop.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Generac and Onan are equally large companies, and both make wonderful products.

I have a buddy who has a Generac, and it works great! I have an Onan, and it worked great for the first 15 years that I had the RV. . .

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com