cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator to run 30amp RV

coodle0216
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at purchasing a Yamaha Generator. What would be the difference between getting one EF2400 ISHC Inverter Generator (that says it will run a 13500 BTU AC also) vs getting two EF2000 IS Generators with the connector cable (one will run the RV but not the AC / two will run the RV and AC) ?? Can anyone help us ??
Thanks !!
10 REPLIES 10

coodle0216
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your answers,it gives us more to think about.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
coodle0216 wrote:
We are looking at purchasing a Yamaha Generator. What would be the difference between getting one EF2400 ISHC Inverter Generator (that says it will run a 13500 BTU AC also) vs getting two EF2000 IS Generators with the connector cable (one will run the RV but not the AC / two will run the RV and AC) ?? Can anyone help us ??
Thanks !!

It might depend on altitude above sea level whether 2400 is enough.

Also just for battery charging, our Honda 3000 (2800VA) will run 130 amps worth of (non PF corrected) battery chargers. Ay more amps and it pops its breaker (at sea level)

So if you have a big battery bank and need high amps to get it recharged in short time doing 50-90s off grid, you might need the 4000 instead of the 2400.

We can run our 15 size a/c off one 15a from shore power or gen as long as nothing else 120v is on at sea level at 90F. Power management is part of RVing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this is very true with the big motorhomes. I guess money talks haha... You probably can't tell if it is the motor or the generator running in those things.

In my case my generator is in plain view sitting on my truck tailgate so I would be spotted and pistol whipped right off the bat hehe...

My problem is I like to follow the rules the best I can. If the rules get to strict then I just move on to another spot somewhere.

I think the folks out West probably get away it more then we do here on the East side of the US. Things are really stretched out on the west side of the Mississippi. There is definitely more Dispersed camping out West. Here on the East side the public camp grounds seems to have all the rules in place.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
As much as you see the restrictions everywhere I can tell you from experience that not a lot of people fololw them. I have heard generators running at some really annoying hours. I will say however that I'm not upset as I would run mine as well when your in a tin can and the temperature is climbing. The manufacturers NEED to make them quieter at a reasonable price. I was at the Pine Cone in Jersey during the fourth of July weekend when the power went out there and their well water and sewer was run by power. The well water backed up into my trailer and ruined my hose by leaving a yellowy residue on everything! I had to throw it away and lose a day their which of course they didnt offer to reimburse. I also lost the water filter as the muck backed up into that as well. we were so miserable sitting in the dark with no power that we left and I'm not sure if we'll go back there anymore. We have spent a lot of money there so, so much for customer service. There is a person there who is very rude. Getting back to my actual reply, I will always carry my generator with me now as I'm not sweating or losing my valuable vacation time not having power when I need it.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like everyone wants to get their trailer setup to run everything from a generator. We thought the same but after running the roads alot we found out real quick we couldn't run a generator anywhere we wanted to. Lots of generator run time restrictions just about everywhere we go here on the East side of the USA.

Yet time and time again I see all kinds of folks getting all setup with the generators. They must be mostly camping at private places. For sure the public places all seem to have generator run time restrictions in place. You sure can't cool down a trailer just running a generator a couple of hours in the morning and maybe three hours in the early evening.

After figuring all of this out I spent my time on beefing up my trilaer to run for long periods of times on my battery system. I only use my 2KW Honda generator to recharge the battery banks in the run time allowed when camping off the power grids. This of course does not include running the air conditioner or high wattage microwave units...

Just saying...
Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to go with the Yamaha 2400ishc versus the 3000 watt version since it was light enough for me to handle alone and would start/run our 13.5K A/C if we things just go too hot while we were camping. And I didn't want to go the extra expense of buying two 2,000 watt units.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
Debated like you which was best. Went with the Yamaha 2400, Lots cheaper than two Hondas and no problem running 13.5 btu A/C (with hard start capacitor). For us, it's a secondary backup hurricane generator also. Really could probably get away with a one of the 1000 watt gens just to charge batteries but that's all it would be good for. Nice to be able to run A/C if needed. Plus, it is heavy but I can pick it up and move if needed. Not so easy with the 3000's and larger.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I went with one honda 3000 vs 2 honda 2000. I find myself during our camping outings we usually always use the ac at some point. I like the bigger tank and not having to hook two together. But certainly there would be advantages to two. Personal preference for sure. If you were going to do a lot of camping without ac then I would go for the two.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer the two. Only use one if you don't need the AC, use both if you do. They are lighter and easier to move than the 2400 watt genny.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
coodle0216 wrote:
What would be the difference between getting one EF2400 ISHC Inverter Generator...vs getting two EF2000 IS Generators with the connector cable...?

The big difference, which must already be abundantly apparent, is you will have one generator to tote around verses two generators to tote around. The other difference, which also must already be abundantly apparent, is you will have 2400 watts verses 4000 watts.