cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator vs solar power

NonnaJ
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2018 Jayco Hummingbird is wired for solar power. Should we buy a solar generator or skip the solar, park in the shade and by a gas generator?
Will it charge our battery so we can turn it off during "quiet times" and still have power?
Which way is cheaper?

โš Please see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
82 REPLIES 82

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
I think Pnichols meant - when propane furnace fails. Not really an emergency for most people, can be easily remedied with propane heater. I wouldn't be able to sleep with furnace cycling, anyway. Thick duvet is better - never fails

We've had an anomaly in our main propane system occur twice in the last 3 years that many would have considered to be "main propane system failure".

After owning our RV for about 9 years, I began to smell propane slightly on the outside of the RV around it's built-in 18 gallon propane tank area. It was coming from a leak in the threads of the main shutoff valve where it was screwed into the tank. I of course had it repaired. Some people would consider that as a main propane system failure and ceased using the system immediately if they had noticed it on an RV trip - maybe a long ways from a repair facility.

Earlier this year the same slight propane smell begain again while the RV was in storage in our back yard. A few days ago a different RV repair shop said it was the same cause and they are at this time repariing it. Again, some people would consider that as a main propane system failure and ceased using the system immediately if they had noticed it on an RV trip.

Fortunately for us, neither of the two times this occured constituted an "emergency" situation during drycamping calling for use of one of our generators to keep the refrigerator running on 120V AC, or to run an electric heater in cold weather on 120V AC. We can't sit around in the evening, or sleep, or eat breakfast in a sleeping bag - those backpacking type days are over for us - even when inside a box on wheels.

Things happen - and at least one generator along can provide a great Plan B.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes for a true expedition into the cold I would bring a bag rated for the conditions.

But then like air conditioning if it is cold enough (<10F) to have the furnace run near continuous I am looking for utility power. Not just the furnace but for the electric tank heaters, hot water circulation, and a space heater. Then I am out looking for propane in the very cold as often as gasoline in the heat.

So yes I try to avoid off-grid camping in those conditions. And yes when I was younger I have snowshoed into the wilderness with a backpack.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think Pnichols meant - when propane furnace fails. Not really an emergency for most people, can be easily remedied with propane heater. I wouldn't be able to sleep with furnace cycling, anyway. Thick duvet is better - never fails ๐Ÿ˜‰

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
My propane refrigerator can also operate from a generator's 120V AC.

I have a backup singler burner camping stove and a Weber grill (both of which use uses those little green propane bottles - of which I carry several) to somewhat backup the galley propane stove and heat kettles of water to somewhat backup the water heater.

I guess it would be best if I replaced the camping stove with an electric hot plate, replaced the Weber with an electric equivalent, and installed a 120V AC electric element kit in the water heater (in combination with it's propane burner) ... to provide for an all-electric generator backup of our RV's main propane system.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane fails? Then my fridge, stove and water heat is not working... time to roll out. Truck has heat.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:

Also, no emergency heat if your propane system should fail ...

Except for Canadian prairies in winter or intentional stay at high elevations (again, in winter) - such an emergency is unlikely. Not to the point when a good duvet wouldn't help, and not in the areas of Time2roll.
Besides, there are all kinds of propane space heaters (for emergencies, though many people use it as a regular source of heat).

There are ways to live comfortably without a generator. The only thing you can't have is A/C, - this horse has been beaten to death already.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
No generator, no gas can. Very simple to me.

Also, no emergency heat if your propane system should fail ... unless you're in a motorhome and can idle the big engine and use the cab's heater. ๐Ÿ˜‰

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
time2roll wrote:
should also add, no AC.
bumpy
Why exclude utility power when needed?

Besides if I am that far off-grid the last thing I want to do is run for gasoline. Kinda defeats the purpose (to me). And further if I want the peace and solitude of being away then I still do not want a generator running near continuous. Again defeats the purpose for me.

You are free to choose your own path as my road has its bumps too.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

should also add, no AC.
bumpy

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

MrWizard
i wonder if maybe
start a new discussion about 'gas cans'

the OP's question has been answered
and he has probably been scared away
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The long fill tube is blocked shut by a valve until you lift up the can by it's handle while pulling the lever that opens the fill tube's valve.

The Type-2 cans are a very safe and convenient way to transport gasoline. I believe that there are also stainless steel versions of them.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
This last page made me firmer yet in my conclusion that installing a decent size solar before everything else and not carrying a generator was the right choice.

But, grid power would've been better yet.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

This link has a more detailed description of the Type-2 can that I carry in our RV:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15583

Does the long fill tube have a cover for the end.. mesh maybe? Osha certified +++

Much better than the "no spill" plastic cans that spill as you fill.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman ... your can is Type-1.

What I use is Type-2, which has two openings in the top - with one of them having a long flexible metal dispensing spout for precise aim and the other being a spring loaded fill opening. One of the openings has a pressure relief valve - which is probably meant to vent fume pressure automatically so maybe one doesn't get liquid spewed on them when atttempting to refill or dispense after the can has been exposed to high temperatures.

This link has a more detailed description of the Type-2 can that I carry in our RV:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15583