Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI breaker keeps flipping..

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
So i have a 1990 Excella 29.
It has the mid bath.
My manual shows schematics as rear bath so maybe they never upgraded the manual.

Anyway, whats on this circuit?
-battery charger
-bath outlet
-exterior outlet
-2 other interior outlets

I unplugged anything on the circuit including the charger.
Breaker still flips off.

Take wire out of breaker?
Breaker happy.

Any ideas?
Thanks for reading!
12 REPLIES 12

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:
groundhogy wrote:

-battery charger
-bath outlet
-exterior outlet

Breaker still flips off.

Breaker happy.

Is this a combination GFI/circuit breaker? Or are you referring to a standard circuit breaker and a downstream GFI outlet?

Assuming a combo GFI/CB

What is tripping, the GFI of the circuit breaker? There is a difference and it matters.

Don't spend money needlessly. If you removed everything on the breaker including the load wire from the breaker and it stops tripping, there is nothing wrong with the breaker. For the breaker/GFI to trip there has to be a load somewhere whether it's a shorted wire, shorted outlet, or an appliance you didn't think of. But something downstream of the breaker is leaking voltage or the GFI would not trip.

If it was me I'd take a sheet of paper and draw a rectangle on it. That's your RV. put a star where your circuit breaker box is located. Now put a circle in every place you think represents the location of an outlet.

Hook up the load wire and start with outside outlets or outlets in outside compartments. Pull the outlet cover and outlet with the power disconnected and see if you see moisture.
If no moisture or obvious damage you're going to have to figure out how to disconnect the wires (label them first) and see what outlets cause the trip. Test the CB with the outlets disconnected one at a time.

Keep disconnecting outlets one at a time until your GFI stops tripping. Once you find this oputlet, make note on your diagram of which outlets still have power, they are not suspect. Mark which outlets have no power, they are all suspect.

At the first suspect outlet remove teh outlet and wire nut the white wires together and wire nut the black wires together. If the GFI still trips you are at the wrong outlet. Keep removing and wire nutting outlets until you finally find the the outlet that is causing the trip.

If OP has self contained device outlets which doesn't require a workbox is a reality of a lot of RVs they will not be able to "disconnect" and isolate outlets.

The Romex is not cut, there are no splices, wire nuts, crimps, instead the sheathing is opened and wires are fanned out and outlet device is placed across the wires. Once the wires are in place, the outlet device is pressed together and the insulation on the wires is pierced and displaced to make electrical contact..

This is typical of many RVs, it is quick and effective means of assembling the RV. These devices also are very low profile so they easily fit in the thin walls of a RV where standard workboxes with sufficient fill capacity will not fit.

I also have found that more often than not, there is nearly zero slack or extra wire when RV manufacturers use these devices..

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
groundhogy wrote:

-battery charger
-bath outlet
-exterior outlet

Breaker still flips off.

Breaker happy.

Is this a combination GFI/circuit breaker? Or are you referring to a standard circuit breaker and a downstream GFI outlet?

Assuming a combo GFI/CB

What is tripping, the GFI of the circuit breaker? There is a difference and it matters.

Don't spend money needlessly. If you removed everything on the breaker including the load wire from the breaker and it stops tripping, there is nothing wrong with the breaker. For the breaker/GFI to trip there has to be a load somewhere whether it's a shorted wire, shorted outlet, or an appliance you didn't think of. But something downstream of the breaker is leaking voltage or the GFI would not trip.

If it was me I'd take a sheet of paper and draw a rectangle on it. That's your RV. put a star where your circuit breaker box is located. Now put a circle in every place you think represents the location of an outlet.

Hook up the load wire and start with outside outlets or outlets in outside compartments. Pull the outlet cover and outlet with the power disconnected and see if you see moisture.
If no moisture or obvious damage you're going to have to figure out how to disconnect the wires (label them first) and see what outlets cause the trip. Test the CB with the outlets disconnected one at a time.

Keep disconnecting outlets one at a time until your GFI stops tripping. Once you find this oputlet, make note on your diagram of which outlets still have power, they are not suspect. Mark which outlets have no power, they are all suspect.

At the first suspect outlet remove teh outlet and wire nut the white wires together and wire nut the black wires together. If the GFI still trips you are at the wrong outlet. Keep removing and wire nutting outlets until you finally find the the outlet that is causing the trip.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
First step - replace the GFI breaker. They do go bad and way before 32 years.

If GFI continues to trip, then it is doing its job. Disconnect stuff one by one until you find the problem. Hope it isn't concealed.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
groundhogy wrote:
Gdetrailer
That could also be true.
I got back from Az in Jan, it was all 8 degrees at night. My poo hose froze along with the dump exit.
I bought a red heat lamp and have it under the trailer.
Plugged into the side outlet full time.

If you do not have one, they do make "in use" outdoor outlet covers which I would suggest..

HERE

They are designed to allow you to have items plugged in and the wire exits out the bottom to prevent rain from getting to the outlet and plug.

NEC requirement for new construction and retrofits..

Beats the old open clamshell "in use" ones that slammed shut as you pulled the plug out..

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Way8yxm... thanks. Looks like fridge not on circuit

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer
That could also be true.
I got back from Az in Jan, it was all 8 degrees at night. My poo hose froze along with the dump exit.
I bought a red heat lamp and have it under the trailer.
Plugged into the side outlet full time.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is the breaker popping or the GFCI popping?
2 different issues with generally different causes.

Breaker popping = overload (if being used), or generally live short to ground (overload again, but more and quicker)

GFCI popping = ground fault. In which case, I'd probably start with what GDEtrailer said.

You also have a 30+ year old camper and that may be a 30+ year old breaker. Both the breaker or the GFCI may be wore out.

Other possibilities, rodent damage to wires (not good and may be hard to find) could cause a ground fault or a live short.
Overloaded/burnt/melted outlet on that circuit.
Not sure if you asked what was on that circuit or were telling us, but
Barring moisture in the exterior outlet, start by disconnecting one outlet or light at a time. Then flip the breaker or GFI and see if it holds.
You may discover something by removing an outlet, or you will narrow it down to the offending outlet or appliance.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several possible answers
#1 suspect is the outside outlet... Full of water in many cases
Sometimes the fridge is on the GFCI (Need not be but they do it anyway) and sometimes the heat element in the fridge. can short to ground. or in my fridge (Which was NOT on the GFCI) there was a terminal board that if you did not follow instructions got wet and would have done the trip... (Dealer did not follow directions.. I did).

Easy to check the fridge though. when the GFCI trips. does it still say "AC" or does it switch to "GAS" (or LP)? if it says AC. that's NOT a suspect.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pull and check the exterior outlets for moisture intrusion if they are indeed on the same circuit as the GFCI breaker..

Assuming you like myself have had an extremely soggy last couple of months in PA heavy wind driven rain can get past the outdoor outlet covers..

I would recommend keeping the GFCI breaker, find and fix the problem. Not only is it required per NEC in wet locations such as bath, kitchen and outdoor outlets it most definitely save your life in the event of being exposed to a faulty appliance..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
They do fail after a while.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Should I order another (if available) GFI style breaker?

Should I forget the GFI and install a regular breaker?
(The manual says they normally install a regular breaker except if RV being shipped to a state that demands GFI)

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
So in my mind, a couple things swimming around.,

-is there actually a wire problem in the walls? Or in some outlet?

-Or is it just some moisture causing a stray amount of current to trigger the breaker?

-or.. breakers do wear out