cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grommets to seal battery cables

bdoyle
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Century Plastics battery box that is installed in the front storage bay of my fifth wheel. I have been looking for some kind of grommet that will fit around the cable to seal against the cutouts in the box. Been going thru lots of duct tape sealing this box and there has to be a better way.
Thanks, Brian
19 REPLIES 19

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
mike-s wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Have at it if you like but you are fixing a non-existent problem. If it was necessary to seal it, the box would have come that way.
If the box was designed to be externally vented, it would have been made to seal better.

:? Isn't that what I said?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Have at it if you like but you are fixing a non-existent problem. If it was necessary to seal it, the box would have come that way.
If the box was designed to be externally vented, it would have been made to seal better.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bdoyle wrote:
The box is vented to the outside with two 1.5 - 2 inch dia hoses. An inverter / charger is also mounted in that storage cabinet. I really don't want hydrogen gas building up in the compartment. Since the box does not seal by design, I normally wrap a few turns of duct tape around the box. I do have a watering kit installed so I really don't have to access to batteries that often. I just thought there might be a better way of doing this. It is not a round hole in the box, it is more of a slot maybe 1 inch wide 1 3/4 deep with a flat on the top. Just wondering if some one had come across something that was made for that box.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find these on eBay. They seal. They grip the cord. They have enough material to fit a quarter inch thick wall and they are corrosion proof. Been using them for years. They are effective strain reliefs. I just bought some for the new 130 amp Meanwell charger.

bdoyle
Explorer
Explorer
There is no strain on the cables as everything is pretty much tied down. I recently bought a repo mobile home to fix up and retire in. They have some sealant that they goop around pipes and wires that is almost impossible to cut thru. I could probably 'cast' some of this around that cables.
Thinking about casting I used to make molds to cast partholding fixtures with devcon mix. I could give my kid a drawing and have her 3d print a mold up. I was always using a durometer 90 rubber but thet make softer.
I was also considering the bulkhead fittings but then I would have to seal up the other slots. I just haven't given much time to a good solution.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
bdoyle wrote:
Just wondering if some one had come across something that was made for that box.
I'd explore the weatherstripping section at your local big box store. You may be able to find something which can be glued along the inside edge of the top, so that it seals when the lid is pulled tight by the hold down straps. That would eliminate the need for duct tape. It also shouldn't be hard to find some closed-cell foam which can go around the cables and fill that gap. Maybe cut a chunk off one of those floating pool "noodles."

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
One possible solution would be to seal the wire insulation to the hole (or a perforated plate over the hole with more closely sized holes) with some sort of caulking/sealant. So long as there isn't significant strain on the wires causing them to move this should hold just fine.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could use a bulkhead battery connector as used on sealed battery boxes. Can use a boot over the terminal on end of wire like in 2nd photo if needed. I used these on a sealed battery box with lead acid battery in a previous TT. An AGM battery would be a good upgrade but should still be vented as they can vent gas if they get overcharged.

MTS Products makes an inexpensive sealed battery box for RVs. I was in the parts section of an RV dealer once and they had a stack of used ones for sale at the back for $5. Got a couple of them that looked like new. These boxes are used in FWs. Has a built-in gasket and a flange on top and bottom.

bdoyle
Explorer
Explorer
The box is vented to the outside with two 1.5 - 2 inch dia hoses. An inverter / charger is also mounted in that storage cabinet. I really don't want hydrogen gas building up in the compartment. Since the box does not seal by design, I normally wrap a few turns of duct tape around the box. I do have a watering kit installed so I really don't have to access to batteries that often. I just thought there might be a better way of doing this. It is not a round hole in the box, it is more of a slot maybe 1 inch wide 1 3/4 deep with a flat on the top. Just wondering if some one had come across something that was made for that box.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
prichardson wrote:
Why do you feel that it needs to be sealed that well? Unless you are using an AGM battery the box needs to be vented. If an AGM or other sealed battery there is no need for a tightly sealed container.

X2 What are you trying to accomplish by sealing the box?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you feel that it needs to be sealed that well? Unless you are using an AGM battery the box needs to be vented. If an AGM or other sealed battery there is no need for a tightly sealed container.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
folivier wrote:
Does it need to be waterproof?

I was wondering that too.
Battery boxes usually are not completely sealed.....by design.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dell electronics or Digikey
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Along with Ace or TrueValue, I know Harbor Freight carries kits of grommets and O rings.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.