cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ground Fault outlet will not trip when converter is running

Hogan
Explorer
Explorer
NEED HELP! I have chased this problem the better part of 2 days and $300 and had no luck!
When my 2008 HHII 32.5UKTG fifth wheel is plugged into 110V. and the converter is running the ground fault outlet in the kitchen will not trip when the test button is pressed. If the converter is not running and still plugged in the test button works correctly. The converter is on the same circuit as the ground fault outlet which is a good thing.
If I remove the batteries from the system by removing the chassis ground wire or one of the positive post wires with the converter running the outlet works just fine. If appears I have an open ground when the batteries are connected and the converter is running.
I have replaced both the outlet and the converter with no change other than to my bank account.
Do I have to chase every 12v circuit checking for open grounds?

HELP I am at a loss.
"our time is short and the future terrifyingly long" Ansel Adams
16 REPLIES 16

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I am not exactly an expert on electricity. But I don't believe your problem is with the 12volt side of your converter. I believe one has nothing to do with the other, other than of course your converter is converting 110 to 12. So I would just concentrate on the 110 side of it. An open ground on the 12 volt side should not make any difference to the 110 side of it. It will be fun to see what the electrical experts on the forum come up with. It has to be a very easy fix. Say here is a thought. Do you have two GFIs on the rig? On one of the rigs I had the two gfis were on the same breaker and one of them was wired wrong which made the other one not work as well. So if you have two try disconnecting the other one and see what happens. Like I said I am no electrical expert. I only know what I know and that aint much. ๐Ÿ™‚

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too am at a loss. The 120VAC System has nothing to do with the 12VDC system. They both share the GREEN WIRE frame ground is about the only thing common.

The 120VAC INPUT to the Converter has three wires coming from the SHORE POWER SIDE being HOT (Black wire) - NEUTRAL (White Wire which must not be connected to the trailer frame ground) and GROUND (Green wire which connects to the trailer ground).

This is a drawing for the WFCO 8900 series Power Distribution Panel which shows this and is kinda hard to follow the grounding scheme.

This is another drawing showing where my 120VAC and 12VDC lines are grounded.

I would use one of these units on your incoming 120VAC Voltages from shore power and make sure all three leads are wired properly. (LOWES)

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS