cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grounding fixed in place 5th wheel

Hackerlyone
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there everyone! New to the forums and I need a bit of electrical help. I've got 2 RVs, well a 5th wheel and an RV, one I live in and its fixed in place pretty much, it's a 35 foot old as dirt 5th wheel from I wanna say the late 80s or early 90s.... No idea TBH lol. Anyways it just sits there on the first, flat tires, been leveled and we ran two 120v 30amp wires from a warehouse nearby on the same property via a pole then dropped that down into a set of 2x2 plugs. The 5th wheel plugs into one of those plugs and some other stuff into the other 3. Anyways I think I need to ground this beezy and should ground this thing because I've got a lot of expensive electronics and radios in here and lately I've noticed a drop in my swr consistent with a bad ground so I've got an 8 foot copper grounding rod. I've got the clamps and 6awg wire. Now do I drive it in next to the pole, then run the ground from inside the outlet to the rid and then strip the paint from a section of the hull and clamp a wire from there to the same rod or what? Keep in mind I'm pretty poor even though I have some nice electronics (I saved forever or bought junk and broken stuff and fixed it) and I just straight out can't afford a lot of stuff. Asking the people who own the property and ran the wires and pole for he isn't a good idea, they won't do it or don't care and the less contact we have right now the better. So what to do? Ground rid bybpoke, poke to ground then clamp on frame to same ground? I've seen mobile homes call for 2 rods but they're wired totally different. Oh yeah it 120 not 240. Any help here would be great and anyone travelling to Sequoia National Park up the 198 hwy drop me a msg to BBQ
15 REPLIES 15

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine