cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handheld air compressor

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I've been seeing commercials for those handheld air compressors. Basically, they look like an electric drill. They're battery operated. If they work as the commercial says, they would be a heck of lot easier to carry than the normal air compressor/tank type unit. Have any of you Rv'ers tried these yet? Don't want to spend money and find out lots of folks on this forum say they're junk.
20 REPLIES 20

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the videos Oldwizard1. I'll watch them both.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
Don't want to spend money and find out lots of folks on this forum say they're junk.

No experience, but they look like cheap junk to me !

If you have a Class A motorhome you are going to need a REAL 12VDC (connect to engine battery) compressor.

2 videos worth watching

Which Cordless Tire Inflator is Best?

Which Portable Tire Pump is Best?

I like Milwaukee M12 inflator, even if it will not go to 100 psi (as the manufacturer states).

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not exactly a handheld but it does have a handle, but I have the Dewalt inflator, and for the same reason as 3 Tons: I have multiple batteries to use with it. It will inflate to at least 110 psi, which is what my trailers are rated to, but it does take a while. It's rated to 160 psi. But not having to worry about any cord to connect to battery or outlet is nice. I can just set the pressure to what I want, and then wander off to do other stuff. It will shut off when it reaches the set pressure, or will shut down if running too long. I've run it for 15 minutes, and neither the housing nor the battery got warm.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
salem wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. Several good suggestions. I'm more interested in the battery operated one's more so than the electric ones I believe. Thanks to those who submitted websites. I'll definitely be researching those.

Assuming you have a particular brand of cordless tools, this is a great option. But for occasional use and universal application especially if youโ€™re not just adding to your cordless tools(no battery to buy) a good corded 12v electric compressor is still the less expensive and most bang for the buck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Ryobi because it uses the same battery as my other tools (hedge trimmer, etc), HD has one by Ridgid with lifetime battery warrantyโ€ฆ

3 tons

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your responses. Several good suggestions. I'm more interested in the battery operated one's more so than the electric ones I believe. Thanks to those who submitted websites. I'll definitely be researching those.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a Ryobi. Rated for 150 psi however I donโ€™t own any tires that need that much pressure. No problem with getting 75 psi.
Ryobi

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Viair is the top of the line for handheld. There are several different models which vary by volume and pressure.
I have used several different brands over the years on everything from motorhomes to boat trailers.
For us there is no need for a tank compressor.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jimh is spot on with the Viair recommendation. Depends if you want a Scamazon throw away (which may work just fineโ€ฆor not) for bike tires and an emergency, or if you are purchasing a tool to use and presumably for a long time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
As many have said most will do the job if you have lots of time. Pay attention to the duty cycle. That is the percentage of time that you can run them. I bought one that is by the same manufacturer that my other battery tools. That way I already have several extra batteries.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hand held Makita unit which uses one of my power tool batteries. I use it for my air bags and hitch on occasion which is very convenient. Haven't had the occasion to use it on one of my tires, but it will pump to 80 PSI no problem, albeit slow. I can set the pressure and leave. The inflator will shut off automatically.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you notice, they refer to those things as "inflaters", not "compressors". I got one, small enough to carry on a motorcycle, and it worked very well considering it's size. It took about 5 minutes to inflate a 15" car tire from 15 psi to 45 psi.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have one I use on my car... Worked well when i had a bolt in the tire (I kid you not a quarter inch lag bolt is what the tire store found)

on a 22.5 the thing would still be pumping tomorrow. But on the car it only took about half an hour.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no experience with handheld compressors but can make a recommendation for a small, low cost air compressor.

I have been using a Slime compressor for over 10 years. It has enough capacity to pump up 19.5 commercial tires to over 100psi. The model I have is no longer sold but Amazon has a similar model 42007 for $65. If you do get one it will take 15 minutes or more to pump up a larger tire to the 100psi range. I recommend stopping every 10 minutes or so and allow the unit to cool down for 5 minutes or so.