cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headlight conversion

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone have any ideas on why I have no high beams when changing from seal beams to halogen? All wiring and connections on lamps are clean and tight, connector on light stalk is tight. This is on 1996 FL60. lights switched fine with the sealed beams.

Thanks,

Jim
17 REPLIES 17

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear the high beam now works with engine running.

I hope these 'rampage' lights do not cause excessive amounts of glare to oncoming drivers. If you find you are getting flashed by drivers on the other side of the road, then this is occurring, and simply lowering the aim of the bulb is not going to cut it, as the optics of the reflector and lens simply cannot properly form a beam which does not blind oncoming traffic.

Lots of foreground light is feel good light, but it also constricts ones pupils, making it harder to see objects at the limit of the lights output. So the human behind the wheel thinks they can see better, but can actually see worse.

This can be proven with actual testing data, and will contradict the impression of the human driving, 99.5% of the time.

Lots of foreground light is only helpful at low speeds, like 25mph or slower. Those who drive at highway speed with fog lights on are actually impairing their ability to see, but think they can see better.

Whenever I see somebody with their 'fog' lights on at any speed above 25mph, my contempt for humanity notches up another level.

I put fog in quotes as most additional lighting on vehicles does not even remotely resemble the desirable pattern of a real fog light. They are simply fashion accessories. An extra 'look at meeeeeeee' included in the marketing package to appeal to the proudly ignorant.

If one is really interested in upgrading their forward lighting, it is not just a matter of new housings and brighter bulbs. There is science involved, not just new purchase feel good must work better tomfoolery.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
Jim-Linda wrote:
Single lamp each side, kit has housing that replaces sealed beam, H4 lamp, rubber cover for the original connector. Original connector and contact on H4 are the same, low beam works,

Jim

Jim,
This is interesting as the H4 lamp is the same connector as the 6012 you removed. I have run into cases where there were features of the OE connector that did not work with the composite headlamp assembly, but those were usually very obvious.

Matt

Connector is exactly the same, only change was to crank the Cat.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
Single lamp each side, kit has housing that replaces sealed beam, H4 lamp, rubber cover for the original connector. Original connector and contact on H4 are the same, low beam works,

Jim

Jim,
This is interesting as the H4 lamp is the same connector as the 6012 you removed. I have run into cases where there were features of the OE connector that did not work with the composite headlamp assembly, but those were usually very obvious.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Problem solved!! DW said "did you try it with engine running?", no I answered, engine running shouldn't have anything to do with lights... wrong, cranked up, lights now go low/high beam as always. There is a nice meal in her future.

Thanks all,

Jim

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
The only non-sealed lamps I am aware of are Hella and Cibe.

I was under the impression that ALL halogen lights had replaceable bulbs that come out the back; thus not sealed.

Most of the new 6012 headlights are actually 6012H and are a halogen lamp sealed in the reflector.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
The only non-sealed lamps I am aware of are Hella and Cibe.

I was under the impression that ALL halogen lights had replaceable bulbs that come out the back; thus not sealed.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My 9004 Hella 80/100 bulbs came in a box Made In India. Bet your sweet patottie they're genuine. A fast makeup of 2 wires clips on one end and 1/4" MALE spade terminals on the other will tell you which terminal is high beam. But the bulb instantly gets to a thousand degrees so beware.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Hella manfacturers lamps and fixtures for some of the most exotic vehicles in the world. I have no idea what Rampage is
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll pull a bulb out, but the part I ordered from Summit was supposed to be Hella but box has Rampage on it. The description on the box did state it is a conversion kit to halogen from sealed beam. I'll wait til Monday and see what the horse's mouth says, thanks

Jim

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
They do have single filament h4 bulbs. Does you h4 bulb have one or 2?

The H4 plug has 3 terminals, ground high beam and low beam.

I'd make sure that the bulbs themselves are actually capable of firing the high beam filament

If these are the rectangular 5x7 6054 Hella sealed beam replacements, it is said that once the low beam is adjusted properly, the high beam is up in the tree tops and ineffective.

Cibie200MM With Phillips extreme h4 bulbs are what I desire, but firmly in the want side of the need/want list.

I am using GE nighthawk 6054 as they are the best sealed beam in this size format. And They get within 0.3v of alternator voltage by bypassing the headlamp switch and using relays instead. That alone was good for an estimated 30% brightness increase.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an inquiry to Summit, catalog said it was Hella, the box says Rampage ???

Jim

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The only non-sealed lamps I am aware of are Hella and Cibe. When I swapped mine back in the 80's, long before anything American made, there was an adapter cable that came along with them. Been too long, I have no idea what the pin flip was
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest that you contact the company that makes the conversion kit that you bought for advice.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II

Jim