cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help! Colemen Mach AC wiring

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
My blower motor went out and I installed a new one. Thought I was ready to go but an unrelated wire came loose and I wasn't sure where it went. Turns out they are all loose because the connectors have opened and are brittle. You can't tighten them because they break. Picture of the area is attached. I think I have a wiring diagram. I'll include that in a reply.

Electrical wiring isn't my thing. I know enough to get me in trouble and with a heat wave hitting tomorrow, I don't want to make a mistake here. Maybe you guys can walk me through this. Fist step I believe would be seeing if the diagram is correct and then figuring out where a couple of wires go.

Bill, Carol & Striker The Cat
2005 Everest 323k, Anderson gooseneck adapter
2007 Dodge Crew Cab, 5.9L, auto, drw, 4wd, 3.73 axle, B&W gooseneck hitch
15 REPLIES 15

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much. Good to know that crazy part if my brain still works too. What caused the connectors to heat up. Was it because they weren't making full contact with the terminals?

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through a short description of capacitors. Is it possible the unknown terminal is #1 on the relay? I can't even explain my reasoning. It's really a hunch that I think is from that part of my brain that sometimes solves problems without thinking (if that makes sense)?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The DELCO PACKARD push on terminal

Take this image down to a NAPA store and inquire.

See the middle tang that looks like a ramp? This is the friction that keeps the assembly tight. The ramp also allows FULL ELECTRICAL CONTACT to the male counterpart.

Your terminals heated and cooled beyond annealment. A classic electrical fire-starter.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
PK. you have 3 capacitors- run capacitors for the blower and compressor, and a start capacitor for the compressor (the small black one). Ignore the one hooked to the blower (unless those wires have come loose as well).

Disregard the wires that go through to the blower.

You have a yellow coming in from the front, it goes to a run capacitor, to a terminal with three wires hooked to it- 2 yellows and a white. The white goes out to the compressor, the other yellow goes to the start capacitor. The other terminal on the start capacitor has a yellow wire which goes to terminal #1 on the black relay box at the top. Terminal 2 of the relay box has a red wire which goes to the other side of the run capacitor above. That terminal has another red wire on it which goes out to the compressor.
The purple wire comes in from the front and goes to terminal 5 on the relay box, that terminal also has a black wire going out to the compressor.

That should be all the wires.
-- Chris Bryant

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Man, gotta start replacing connectors. Had three come loose nust trying to take a couple more pictures. It's amazing the thing even ran. The motor was still working. It was the bearing seals that went bad on it. I'm just shocked these connectors didn't vibrate loose. Also shocked that coleman has no consumer tech support.

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
CORRECTION: Red wire goes in on left and continues to fan motor. Yellow wires goes two places from the right terminals. One is to the smaller capacitor up front that has the other yellow wire going to the unknown terminal. The other yellow wire on big capacitor goes outside the compartment towards the front of the unit. A white wire also comes off that side going to the compressor.

New picture:
https://ibb.co/euVv5Q

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
So that bigger one must also be a capacitor. It has two terminals with three connections each. The smaller ones have two terminals with two connections each.

On the bigger one, a red wire comes from terminal 2 on the relay and connects to the left side. A yellow wire comes off that terminal and goes through the smaller capabitor to the unknown location.

OOPS READ CORRECTION BELOW.

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, that's background. The loose yellow wire has no marking other than the standard info (14 awg, etc). It comes off the right side of the run capacitor which is in front on bottom.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The diagram shows 2 schematics- yours is the one on the right. The top black box is a starting relay. You do have the dotted (optional) wires.

Terminal 1 on the relay should have a red wire going down to the start capacitor- which is the small black one.

-- Chris Bryant

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a closeup of what I'm callanimg the junction box.

https://ibb.co/guXgek

Red is 2. Empty is 1. Top left is 5 (I'm thinking the two terminals are connected to each other). There is no 3 or 4.

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta find a better way to do the images. Are they useable yet?

I hope I'm using the right terms. Correct me if I am wrong.

At the bottom of the picture are two capacitors with the fan start capacitor right rear. It's wired correctly and tbe connectors are new. The other one in front is the run capacitor. It has two yellow wires. The one on the right is pulled out front. That is the main one I need to find the terminal for. The large relay is back left.

Near the top is what I think is a black junction box. On the right are terminals that I believe are numbered 1 & 2, with 1 on the bottom. Upper left has I believe black and purple wires connected and is numbered 5. The connector on the black wire fell apart. So it isn't really connected (hollywood magic). But I'm 99% positive thats where it goes.

Again the picture:

https://ibb.co/dCQCkQ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Step by step
  • Can you separate and hold up that loose wire to view (without possibly pulling another wire off)? If the wire has a number or color code stripe on it twist it to get an image
  • One step at a time here

bearsnob
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, believe me, I realized immediately that I should have taken some pics. I'm 60 and have never seen anything like this.

Here are the images of the wiring and diagram side by side.

https://ibb.co/dCQCkQ

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The following is NOT an admonishment. You are paying enough penalty.

I have a rule...

I never ever EVER work on a multi-wire component without first taking several different angle images with my cell phone.

Secondly PUSH ON TERMINALS should be coded to have a TEN AMPERE limit. but the don't.

This is why I search out DELCO PACKARD push on terminals. They are nt cheap but they are a lot cheaper than what standard garbage push on terminals will destroy.