Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help on coach battery wiring

Blkbart
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
New to class A motorhomes. I have a 2003 Itasca 34HD and I just replaced the Trojan T105 plus batteries. I was pretty thorough in viewing the batteries wiring with pictures and diagraming them. I have the batteries installed now and went in the motorhome to try the 12 volt systems and start the generator. No go? The batteries are wired in series and I have the 13.6 volts reading. The coach seems to have two 12V sources coming from the, one having a large round fuse placed in the cable, the other comes directly from the coach to the rearward posts. Upon pulling the coach tray out, there was an arc from the battery frame structure and the larger round fuse/link. I immediately pushed the tray back in and took the ground cable off of the chassis. I had to take the cores in, so the batteries were taken out.
The wiring was not really well routed and the large round fuse/link shorted, I think it might have set a breaker off? I found it odd that they had two positive leads going to the coach, one with the round fuse/link and the other one direct no fuse or link. The red wire without the link has a yellow tape band around it. I went over to a friendโ€™s 2005 to view its wiring. It has 3 12volt batteries and simply a ground wire and a red positive wire. Mine has the tow 12volt leads coming inโ€ฆ I sure would appreciate any advice or suggestions on getting this figured out. Pictures would be great too.
Thanks,
Bart
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice pics.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Blkbart
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my God, I feel so stupid! I'm used to gas generators, a friend came by and told me to hold the button down longer. IT STARTED! Wow ,an entire day of stress going over and over the wiring the wiring. Chalk this one up to "Stupid Newbie"
Thanks for all of y0ur replies,
Bart
:R :S

Blkbart
Explorer
Explorer
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipO46IloxtBVWJJkFciqsnkzBAmL5o9YhrX0rdab

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipP-amx3KnFpm6yjHvHCtMIQ94su5fhwsLW9ar_r

Blkbart
Explorer
Explorer
All wires hooked up, terminals all clean, 4 new Trojan T105+ batteries. Inside panel - Chassis/engine 12+ volts - Coach 12+ volts.
Generator will not start?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was an arc and .. Did you blow the fuse?????

Round fuses are not new to me.

Posibilities are
blown fuse
Batteries connected wrong (Backwards)
switch (Battery disconnect) turned off

ANd last Wrong battery. >Generators often start on the house batteries BUT NOT ALWAYS.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago / Itasca Wiring Diagrams are available online

003 Journey DL/Horizon P34HD Wiring Diagram Book
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Blkbart
Explorer
Explorer
I will take pictures tomorrow of the round fuse link and the what I suspect are positive leads from the coach/chassis. Does Winnebago/Itasca typically use red cabling for their positive cables? Sure appreciate your help.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The second wire might go to items that are non switched like smoke alarm or high draw like slides to minimize wire loss. Perhaps the gen as you didn't indicated what else works or not.

Do whatever is required with wiring and different fuse to ensure that that loose round fuse can will never be able to touch ground.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Before and after images of what YOU did would be even better. ๐Ÿ™‚

ROUND fuse just hanging in the wire is something new tp me.