cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help upgrading to lp/electric heater 120 switch

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
I am upgrading my LP 6g water heater that doesn't work with a dual LP/Eletric heater from Atwood. The question/ issue I ran into is my 120 panel doesn't have room to add another breaker. I saw on a youtube video a rocker switch someone was using to switch between the microwave and the eletronic water heater. Basically, you can either have 120 going to microwave or the heater but not both.

Has anyone else done this or can help me figure out the correct switch to buy? I will already have the lighted LP/electronic switch (12v) for turning the heater on and off. Just need to supply the 120v.

Heard double pull/double throw and also 3 way on-off-on switch, but can't figure out which iOS the correct one.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and nay links that might help me.
14 REPLIES 14

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You are going to need more to finish your upgrade

According to your profile you have a 1996 vintage RV

Atwood changed controls schemes on their combo water heaters in 2004
One set of t-stat for both electric and propane, circuit board that controls electric and propane and DC circuit to accomplish this

So you will need 120V AC circuit breaker (twin CBs are easy way to accomplish an individual feed to electric element)
A dual DC on/off switch panel ---one DC on/off for electric and one DC on/off for propane (uses the SAME DC feeder FUSED circuit)

Here is a manual explains wiring and a wiring schematic for new version of Atwood Combo Water Heater

***Link Removed***

Combo DC On/Off Panel & wiring

***Link Removed***

Thank you for finding that. I talked to Atwood rep about it and the kit I order will have the dual switch setup, so that's why I'm just looking for the 120v parts. My vintage RV (crazy its vintage) only have an LP water heater stock, I"m going to bypass the over the range LP on switch and run their dual switch as the on/off.

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Malster1 wrote:
I am upgrading my LP 6g water heater that doesn't work with a dual LP/Eletric heater from Atwood. The question/ issue I ran into is my 120 panel doesn't have room to add another breaker. I saw on a youtube video a rocker switch someone was using to switch between the microwave and the eletronic water heater. Basically, you can either have 120 going to microwave or the heater but not both.

Has anyone else done this or can help me figure out the correct switch to buy? I will already have the lighted LP/electronic switch (12v) for turning the heater on and off. Just need to supply the 120v.

Heard double pull/double throw and also 3 way on-off-on switch, but can't figure out which iOS the correct one.

My Bigfoot has the microwave/electric hot water switch.....looks like a light switch. I can pull it and check the wiring if you need.

That would be great! If is has any markings on brands and how it's wired. I did pickup a dual single slot breaker, but I'm still worried the wife may not turn one off to turn one on and then poof popped breakers.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Malster1 wrote:

My Bigfoot has the microwave/electric hot water switch.....looks like a light switch. I can pull it and check the wiring if you need.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Malster1 wrote:
Joe417 wrote:
That sounds like a great idea. I need to implement something like that in our 5th W. That would stop a lot of running to reset the breaker. Still wouldn't stop it all as the wife has a hair dryer and electric skillet.

I do a lot of electrical work and would go with a standard 3 way light switch simply because they are easy to find and cheap. Most are made for 15Amp. Not sure if they make a 20 amp version.

I was wondering if a 3 way switch would work too. Any wiring drawings you could share? I'm pretty new to modding 120v. 12v i am good with.

Thanks in advance.

It would work as all OP wants to do is switch the hot between 2 high load appliances. No need to break the neutral.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are going to need more to finish your upgrade

According to your profile you have a 1996 vintage RV

Atwood changed controls schemes on their combo water heaters in 2004
One set of t-stat for both electric and propane, circuit board that controls electric and propane and DC circuit to accomplish this

So you will need 120V AC circuit breaker (twin CBs are easy way to accomplish an individual feed to electric element)
A dual DC on/off switch panel ---one DC on/off for electric and one DC on/off for propane (uses the SAME DC feeder FUSED circuit)

Here is a manual explains wiring and a wiring schematic for new version of Atwood Combo Water Heater

Manual.......see pgs 23,24,25

Combo DC On/Off Panel & wiring

Panel $9

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
As these guys said, if your camper can use a standard double breaker it might be the easiest for you.

If not this may help.

Joe and Evelyn

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You can normally remove a one inch thick breaker and install a twin breaker which gives you two circuits from a single space. Only breaker I would leave as a one inch is the main if equipped.
Twin breaker
Make sure you take one of yours to insure it is the same mounting.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Why not put a couple of 1/2-width breakers in your converter panel?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
You would only need one switch. With it selecting the power between the microwave and WH. I'll draw you a quick sketch and attach it.
Joe and Evelyn

MrWizard
Look for electronic surplus house, or look on line
It will have 6 termenal connections on back , most likely a toggle switch
Not a rocker switch
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
Joe417 wrote:
That sounds like a great idea. I need to implement something like that in our 5th W. That would stop a lot of running to reset the breaker. Still wouldn't stop it all as the wife has a hair dryer and electric skillet.

I do a lot of electrical work and would go with a standard 3 way light switch simply because they are easy to find and cheap. Most are made for 15Amp. Not sure if they make a 20 amp version.

I was wondering if a 3 way switch would work too. Any wiring drawings you could share? I'm pretty new to modding 120v. 12v i am good with.

Thanks in advance.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer

Any electrical/hardware store sells them.
Joe and Evelyn

Malster1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, any links to where I can get one? My local big box Loses was clueless.

MrWizard
Double Pole, double throw
Switch hot and neutral
You 20 amp switch

Be Very CAREFUL when wiring the switch
Don't cross cross the hot and neutral wires at the switch
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s