cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with I’d of this capacitor

Tciambotti1
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought an 88 Starcraft. It has a duo therm brisk air on the roof. When powering on, I have power to the compressor and can get the fan to run if I start it by hand. I’m assuming the capacitor is the issue. Can anyone I’d this one? All of the markings are gone. Thanks everyone.

I guess I have a question first. How do you attach photos here?
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good chance the start cap is .. capped (Ok so I'm a retired police dispatcher and that's slang for Killed).

There are numbers on it

Often something like 25 - 75 mFD
300 volt

Using your phone or camera "Shoot" the numbers
Now go to your local Electric Motor shop and show 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
Go with a 30-5uf 370vac that the most common. Also if you can still read the name plate on the fan motor they usually alway state what size cap for it.

If you can also read the compresser model/make any hvac supply can look up correct MFD.
go with 440v as a little more durable .

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Be on the safe side and de energize the capacitor before you play with it.
de energize

Now why did you go tell him about that. LOL I’ve work on electric motors for 30 + years and the new guy alway find out how they feel within a day or two!
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a 30-5uf 370vac that the most common. Also if you can still read the name plate on the fan motor they usually alway state what size cap for it.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tciambotti1 wrote:
Taxman2436 wrote:
Do you know the make and model of the A/C unit?

Lenny

Not really. I can’t find any model number or stamped plate for that matter. All I have to go on right now is that the pop up is an 88 and the covers say duo therm brisk air. The capacitor is a 3 post ( herm, c, f )

That is a combo fan and compressor cap.

Herm=compressor
C=common
F=fan

Tciambotti1
Explorer
Explorer
Taxman2436 wrote:

Lenny

Not really. I can’t find any model number or stamped plate for that matter. All I have to go on right now is that the pop up is an 88 and the covers say duo therm brisk air. The capacitor is a 3 post ( herm, c, f )

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Be on the safe side and de energize the capacitor before you play with it.
de energize
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’d not sure. Need more information, picture.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Tciambotti1 wrote:
I just bought an 88 Starcraft. It has a duo therm brisk air on the roof. When powering on, I have power to the compressor and can get the fan to run if I start it by hand. I’m assuming the capacitor is the issue. Can anyone I’d this one? All of the markings are gone. Thanks everyone.

I guess I have a question first. How do you attach photos here?

The fan capacitors are usuallly 5 to 7 uf at 370vac and compressor capacitor is usually a 35uf at 370vac. Any capacitor in those ranges will work.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS