Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Microwave

BARRY2010
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what has happened to our microwave so I'm bringing
it to the pro's. On our last trip out we were cooking some potatoes in the micro when it just stopped. Clock - everything went out as if the microwave was unplugged. The first thing I checked was the breaker - all good. So today I was able to pull it out. It was still plugged in to the outlet. I plugged it into another outlet but nothing happened. Is there a fuse on the inside of the microwave that I could check - trying to avoid having to get another. It is a HighPointe model # EM925RSL Thanks for any help.
17 REPLIES 17

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Microwave ovens are relatively dangerous to work on. The power supply for the magnetron is capable of supplying a few thousand volts at significant currentsโ€”certainly enough to be lethal. The high voltage capacitors are typically wired with some sort of a bleeder to discharge them when the oven is off, but especially with an oven that's known to be having some difficulties it's quite unwise to rely on that. That's not to say that one cannot repair one's oven safelyโ€”just that it's vitally important to have a little bit of information and exercise due caution.

There are a few things that commonly cause the main fuse in the oven to blow: door safety switch problems (either from the door getting misaligned, junk building up on the switch, or the switch itself going bad), a shorted magnetron, and just plain old age of the fuse. If a replacement of it makes the oven work, it's probably the last one on the list.

There's a quite comprehensive and understandable guide to microwave oven repair including good safety information here.

Another thing that can cause the fuse to blow is unreliable camp site power which is what I suspect caused mine to blow. We were hosting at a camp ground where the only powered site was for the host. There was only one pedestal and we had to share with the other host. I suspect that in the sharing process there was an errant surge when the microwave was turned on and the fuse protected the unit as it was intended.

YES due caution is imperative when working on electrical units but with due care a fuse can be easily and safely replaced.

The video I linked in previous post was a little sketchy on the safety aspect. The guy was poking around with a screw driver and used a metal screwdriver to pry the fuse out.

It would have been much better if the guy had kept the screwdriver away from "Stuff" and used a pair of rubber-handled (or even plastic) pliers to remove and replace the fuse. Aside from that the procedure is quite simple and can be easily done by someone that knows how to use tools and respects electricity.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Microwave ovens are relatively dangerous to work on. The power supply for the magnetron is capable of supplying a few thousand volts at significant currentsโ€”certainly enough to be lethal. The high voltage capacitors are typically wired with some sort of a bleeder to discharge them when the oven is off, but especially with an oven that's known to be having some difficulties it's quite unwise to rely on that. That's not to say that one cannot repair one's oven safelyโ€”just that it's vitally important to have a little bit of information and exercise due caution.

There are a few things that commonly cause the main fuse in the oven to blow: door safety switch problems (either from the door getting misaligned, junk building up on the switch, or the switch itself going bad), a shorted magnetron, and just plain old age of the fuse. If a replacement of it makes the oven work, it's probably the last one on the list.

There's a quite comprehensive and understandable guide to microwave oven repair including good safety information here.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
falconman wrote:
It's a $100 microwave, buy a new one.

Certainly a viable option if using tools is not your thing, however, if you can turn a screwdriver and you are fairly intelligent when it comes to respecting electricity (remember the unit is unplugged so all you have to worry about is the capacitors) then the savings is worth it.

Sure would be a shame to spend another hundred on a new unit when a half hour of tool time and a three dollar part would get it going again.

Mine is a Microwave/convection oven as I have no gas oven in my rig so it would cost much more than a hundred to replace.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
deltamaster wrote:

Oh, I taped the extra fuse to the inside of the cabinet cover so if it happens again I am ready to go!

I agree with everything in your post, Except taping the fuse inside the cabinet. Tape gets old and loses it's adhesive properties. And you go driving down a bumpy road and the fuse in loose inside the cabinet. The last thing you want is for that fuse to get loose and cause a short in your electronics possibly causing a fire. Find a better place for your extras.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
It's a $100 microwave, buy a new one.

bobrizer2
Explorer
Explorer
The fuse in question is either a 15amp or a 20 amp ceramic fuse available at Lowes or Home depot. If changing the fuse fixes it, then you are good to go. However, it doesn't always fix it. There are 3 or more thermostats, door switches, a diode, a cap, a control board, a transformer, and a magnetron tube that could also be your problem. If you have a volt meter, these componets are easily checked. There are several good U tube videos that will show you how. Just be careful to discharge the cap before messing around in there as it can store enough juice to kill you.

If your problem turns out to be a thermostat, switch, diode, or cap, these are easily and cheaply replacable. Anything else, I would be looking for a new microwave. Since it died while you were cooking, my bet would be a thermostat.
Big Bob

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
deltamaster wrote:
Oh, I taped the extra fuse to the inside of the cabinet cover so if it happens again I am ready to go!

Great idea. And it also works for receipts on many items.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
I just found this youtube video of someone replacing the fuse in theirs.

Microwave fuse replacement.

Very simple procedure on this one in the video. Mine was just as simple.

Key thing is to remember to watch where you put your tools and fingers.

Make sure you get a 120 VOLT fuse and not use a vehicle fuse as they look similar but are not.

I ran a Google search by your model number and found several pages of search result regarding the same problem you have.

Like I said, simple and inexpensive repair.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Microwaves are expendable. Recycle it and spend the $ for another one. Not worth the time or energy to fix them IMHO.

Au-contrer!

Two years out ours did the same thing so I set it on the campground picnic table on an old towel and started pulling screws. I removed the cabinet cover and found a nifty little fuse inside. I went to Ace hardware and found a replacement fuse... decided to buy two as they were cheap. Replaced the fuse and all was hunky-dory again!

That was six years ago and I just heated up a sandwich with the same unit a couple hours ago!

Since you have it out of the cabinet the hard part is done. Pull a few screws and replace the fuse. LOTS cheaper than a replacement unit! Could last you another six years or more!

Back in the day our grandparents would REPAIR things when they broke. These days we are all-too often quick to toss stuff and buy new. often times that is not necessary. A few hand tools and a little dexterity, a steady hand and a little care and caution and MANY things can be repaired by someone with a little knowledge and a lot of willpower. Fix it yourself and not only do you save money but you also get the satisfaction of taking care of yourself and being eco-friendly. After all, that thing you toss has to go SOMEWHERE.

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's five years old, I would take the cover off and replace the fuse. You need to be careful not to put your fingers or metal tools into/on to any part of the electronics. THere are capacitors inside that may hold a substantial charge.

Power the microwave back up on the bench and make sure it's functional before reinstalling.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Moved from Forum Technical Support

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Plug something into the microwave outlet to be sure you were getting power to the microwave to begin with. If yes I would buy a new one. Not worth time effort and money for the average person to repair

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Microwaves are expendable. Recycle it and spend the $ for another one. Not worth the time or energy to fix them IMHO.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
gfci = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter

It monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second.

Your house kitchen and bathroom have them. It looks pretty much like a normal outlet with a TEST button.

Here is one Double Click Me

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side