cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hidden wires to dead light fixture

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really expect to have anyone come up with an easy solution to this, just wondered if anyone had similar problems, and what did they do.

I have a non-functioning double light fixture above my dinette. I tried replacing the light fixture, but in the process discovered that the wires were dead. The problem is the wires lead up to a hole under my cabinets to a small space between the bottom of the cabinet and the bottom shelf inside. I don't see anyway to get to these wires without ripping out a bunch of cabinets and woodwork.

All the fuses look good. I guess I could start removing the CD player/radio and such and hope I can get to the wires from there, but it doesn't look good.
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.
20 REPLIES 20

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is exactly my idea!
You might check your DC power distribution panel to see if there is a marked power source to the radio and TV. I doubt it! I think they just tapped off the lighting circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

Seeing the photo of what you actually have makes it look like quite a simple fix (from here). There will be a hollow cavity in the underside of the cabinet with wires over to where the radio is. If it's the typical Jensen radio, it's held in place with 4 screws accessible through the holes in the faceplate and will come out as a complete assembly. There has to be 12 volts in there for the radio and may go around the corner to the 12 volt outlet at the TV plate (with a co-ax outlet). If you can't find the bad splice, you could cap off the old wires at the light and pick up new 12 volts at the radio and fish new wires inside the cabinet cavity.

Good idea! I didn't think to run new wires, but that's a great plan B.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rmack1 wrote:

That's exactly mine! Even the upholstery and curtains are the right color. It might actually be photos of mine before I bought it.

The fixture in question in under the cabinets over the dinette. Everything else works.

Seeing the photo of what you actually have makes it look like quite a simple fix (from here). There will be a hollow cavity in the underside of the cabinet with wires over to where the radio is. If it's the typical Jensen radio, it's held in place with 4 screws accessible through the holes in the faceplate and will come out as a complete assembly. There has to be 12 volts in there for the radio and may go around the corner to the 12 volt outlet at the TV plate (with a co-ax outlet). If you can't find the bad splice, you could cap off the old wires at the light and pick up new 12 volts at the radio and fish new wires inside the cabinet cavity.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you look for installation instructions for the radio? Once it is removed if the wire is bad, you could in new one.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I found some good pictures on a site. Is this like yours?
I would look for installation instructions for the radio. The face should come off gaining access to the mounting screws. That should let you into the wiring for the radio and TV.
Does the radio work?
What about TV?
If yes odds are the problem is behind the radio!

That's exactly mine! Even the upholstery and curtains are the right color. It might actually be photos of mine before I bought it.

The fixture in question in under the cabinets over the dinette. Everything else works.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I found some good pictures on a site. Is this like yours?
I would look for installation instructions for the radio. The face should come off gaining access to the mounting screws. That should let you into the wiring for the radio and TV.
Does the radio work?
What about TV?
If yes odds are the problem is behind the radio!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Would you post the true model number?

Sorry, I thought I did.

It's the 2013 Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite model 2104. There is no S because I don't have a slide out, and all the latest models have slide outs. I prefer my floor plan because it's lighter than comparable slide out equipped trailers and I'm towing on the edge of my capability. Plus, the layout wouldn't work for me.

We sit on the starboard side of the TT when at the dinette, facing aft, and our TV is mounted over the wall in front of us. The door is behind us, and so is the couch that doubles as a support for the Murphy bed when it's folded down.

I think there were problems with some of the Murphy Beds, and I know how to fix them. Rockwood just eliminated them and used slide outs to make up for the lost space. It weighs more, though.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Would you post the true model number?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Not sure which model you have - 2104S? Below is a pic of slide area - shows 1 light in the slide. Is this it?

Is there a separate switch or integral with the light(s)? As mentioned, first suspect would be a splice that has gone bad. They don't exactly do a good job at the plants of twisting stranded wires together along with a wire nut. If there are no other 12 volt problems, it would most likely be a splice problem, then damaged wires.

If the light is in the slide, look for the wiring under the slide. There may be a junction box that is accessible. Check for a bad splice and power there. There will be a flex arm thingy that lets the wire move as the slide goes in and out. See if anything is damaged there. Try pulling the wire out from behind the light. Sometimes there is a lot of excess wire that gets shoved in behind the light and there could be a spice in there. Same with the switch.

I don't think there will be much to gain by pulling the radio out to access wiring. There is no rhyme or reason how they run 12 volt wiring and the slide light could be connected to a 12 volt circuit feeding other items anywhere.

I have the 2104 model, no S. They don't make it anymore, and I wouldn't want to trade it for the new floor models. Mine has a Murphy bed, but no slide outs.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP:
Could you post model number?
I tried to find photos of same unit so I could see pictures.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Rmack1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'd look into prying up the floor of that cabinet to see where the wires lead and how you can fix situation. you can always put another thin bottom board into that cabinet to cover the hole you make. if you can't pry it at all, just cut a hole in the floor directly above the lamp mounting area.
are there multiple switches that control that light? perhaps bad switch?
bumpy

Wow. I'd have to grit my teeth to tear up that nice cherry wood cabinetry. I was going to take off the CD player/radio and see if I could get at the wires where the splice might be failing. Going to be challenging, because the flat screen TV is mounted right in the way. Oh well, good thing I'm retired!

I'm assuming that this is an enclosed cabinet over the table that when you put another piece of wood/masonite/etc down and put "stuff" in cabinet that it won't even be seen?
bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I cursed and I sweated as I used plastic conduit in Quicksilver. What a nightmare forming bulkheads and cabinets around the tubing and pulling twice the amount of color coded wire I'd ever need. It's posts like this that help to soothe still-touchy nerves even after 30+ years. I learned fast, building commercial trawlers.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure which model you have - 2104S? Below is a pic of slide area - shows 1 light in the slide. Is this it?

Is there a separate switch or integral with the light(s)? As mentioned, first suspect would be a splice that has gone bad. They don't exactly do a good job at the plants of twisting stranded wires together along with a wire nut. If there are no other 12 volt problems, it would most likely be a splice problem, then damaged wires.

If the light is in the slide, look for the wiring under the slide. There may be a junction box that is accessible. Check for a bad splice and power there. There will be a flex arm thingy that lets the wire move as the slide goes in and out. See if anything is damaged there. Try pulling the wire out from behind the light. Sometimes there is a lot of excess wire that gets shoved in behind the light and there could be a spice in there. Same with the switch.

I don't think there will be much to gain by pulling the radio out to access wiring. There is no rhyme or reason how they run 12 volt wiring and the slide light could be connected to a 12 volt circuit feeding other items anywhere.

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Radio could be fed off that circuit.

That's what I was thinking. The problem is that corner is going to be a bear to get to. Oh, well.