cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hidden wires to dead light fixture

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really expect to have anyone come up with an easy solution to this, just wondered if anyone had similar problems, and what did they do.

I have a non-functioning double light fixture above my dinette. I tried replacing the light fixture, but in the process discovered that the wires were dead. The problem is the wires lead up to a hole under my cabinets to a small space between the bottom of the cabinet and the bottom shelf inside. I don't see anyway to get to these wires without ripping out a bunch of cabinets and woodwork.

All the fuses look good. I guess I could start removing the CD player/radio and such and hope I can get to the wires from there, but it doesn't look good.
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.
20 REPLIES 20

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Radio could be fed off that circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Odds are the problem is not the wire, but a splice. Quite often a splice is made and a short pigtail comes out to the fixtures.
My guess would be the fixture or device prior to your bad fixture is where your issue is. Is there another fixture close by? Can you identify whether it is the ground or positive lead that is open?
Did your original fixture have wires connected t it or was the fixture socket/switch connected to the wire?

Thank you, that was very helpful. I think the wiring has to be over by all the other wires and the CD player/radio. I'm going to take pictures, but March Madness is in full swing right now here in usually sunny SoCal, and it's raining like mad. I'm waiting it out.

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'd look into prying up the floor of that cabinet to see where the wires lead and how you can fix situation. you can always put another thin bottom board into that cabinet to cover the hole you make. if you can't pry it at all, just cut a hole in the floor directly above the lamp mounting area.
are there multiple switches that control that light? perhaps bad switch?
bumpy

Wow. I'd have to grit my teeth to tear up that nice cherry wood cabinetry. I was going to take off the CD player/radio and see if I could get at the wires where the splice might be failing. Going to be challenging, because the flat screen TV is mounted right in the way. Oh well, good thing I'm retired!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look into prying up the floor of that cabinet to see where the wires lead and how you can fix situation. you can always put another thin bottom board into that cabinet to cover the hole you make. if you can't pry it at all, just cut a hole in the floor directly above the lamp mounting area.
are there multiple switches that control that light? perhaps bad switch?
bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Odds are the problem is not the wire, but a splice. Quite often a splice is made and a short pigtail comes out to the fixtures.
My guess would be the fixture or device prior to your bad fixture is where your issue is. Is there another fixture close by? Can you identify whether it is the ground or positive lead that is open?
Did your original fixture have wires connected t it or was the fixture socket/switch connected to the wire?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
junction box is on the frame if its in a slide