cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2200i oil leak during transport

Inlet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a newer Honda 2200i generator with very few hours and store it in an aluminum generator box off my rear bumper. The unit has been riding with me for 3 years and never had a problem. Last weekend I opened the box to get my generator and there was oil in the bottomโ€ฆ Looks like the leak occurred during transport. Anyone with ideas how old oil came out of the unit or anyone have a similar issue. The fill plug was still tight and it looks like I lost about a cup of oil. Thanks

Thanks for the repliesโ€ฆFollow upโ€ฆ I do not store extra oil in a compartment . Also I am surprised by the amount of oil they had leaked and that it did not affect the oil level in the generatorโ€ฆ Oil level was checked meticulously at the previous oil change. Air filter was checked and there is no unusual amount of oil on it.
John And Beth

2017 Lance 650
2016 Chevrolet Silverado K3500HD LT 6.0/CC/SB/4.10/Tow Package
3 REPLIES 3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Clean it up and repeat the experiment, as your data is incorrect.
Why? Oil cap. Is 14oz. Math doesnโ€™t add up.
Other means for solving the issue. โ€œLook โ€œ where the oil came from.
Fwiw, it is possible to create a suction and pull some oil out thru the crank case vent into the breather (if the case is vented to the breather). Had a mower do that for a while once and then it cleared up. Something causing the case to pressurize was my guess. But it hasnโ€™t done it in years now.
Personally when I donโ€™t understand some โ€œissueโ€ generally try to repeat the experiment to add more clues
Good luck
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
are you judging the amount of lost oil by what is in the bottom of the compartment? Or are you judging by the amount of oil you had to add to the generator to top it back up?

In other words is the generator still full of oil and the oil in the box is from somewhere else? Have you ever stored an extra quart of oil in the box just in case? Does anybody else besides you ever go in that box?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
pull the air cleaner,see if its oily.