cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 3000 Problem

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Our 12 year old reliable, trouble free, Honda 3000 generator has started to give me and my wife a problem.

It has always powered our Dometic 13,500 AC unit fine when boondocking, but now shuts down a few minutes run time after the AC compressor starts.

Our AC unit runs fine when plugged into house or campground current.

We sure would appreciate some comments or suggestions as to what may be the problem with our Honda 3000.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
25 REPLIES 25

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, some people are stubborn.
You can absolutely buy e free fuel all over Florida. 103 Octane fuel too.
Yes it costs more. So a huge company like Racetrac and WAWA go to the expense of putting a separate tank in and dedicate a pump for E free fuel next to all their other pumps and then put Egas in it?

E free gas clicks.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rrupert wrote:

In northwest PA we have ethanol-free gas at various gas stations

NOPE. See my post above.

Those stations are lying.

It is a marketing gimmick.

That Ethanol free website everyone touts lists a couple of stations near me as selling non Ethanol gas, they do not, that website is in error and patently lying.

PA mandates Ethanol to be blended in all gas.

You can by small 32 oz bottles at $6.20 per bottle for small engines but really, does not take long to spend more on that gas than you would spend on replacing your small engine device every year.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:

So all these places that have a big sign that says โ€œEthanol Free Gasโ€ are lying?
And the airport sells gasoline in addition to Av gas. And itโ€™s not the carb that dislikes E gas, itโ€™s the rubber. Ethanol melts the fuel lines and diaphragms. My son has a landscaping business. They use premix e free fuel at twice the price for all their wackers and blowers. Because in the long run itโ€™s cheaper.

YES!!

They are absolutely lying, it is a marketing gimmick to get Anti E folks to be willing to pay more and buy from their station.

Concentration may not be 10% (Max EPA allowable concentration) but it IS still there non the less..

Per HERE

"Most of the gasoline now sold in the United States contains some ethanol. Most of ethanol blending into U.S. motor gasoline occurs to meet the requirements of the 1990 Clean Air Act (RFG Fuel) and the Renewable Fuel Standard set forth in the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) administers the requirements with the Renewable Fuel Standard Program"

In an old report back in 2015 there were SEVEN States which REQUIRE E10 Ethanol mix..

HERE

Far as I am aware, that IS still happening.

By the way, PENNSYLVANIA is one of those seven states..

Per link above..

"Ethanol-blended fuel can be found at many gas stations, but only a handful of states require it, according to a recent survey of laws conducted by Hemmings Motor News.

Only seven states--Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington--have mandates that require ethanol to be blended with the fuel supply.

Louisiana and Washington require ethanol to make up 2 percent of the total volume of fuel sold, while the other states specify E10--a blend of 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline."

There MAY be some states which do not "mandate" Ethanol to be blended in gas, however you need to realize the Ethanol REPLACED another "Oxygenate" which was MTBE (found out latter to be a very hazardous chemical which polluted the ground and water)..

See question here

What is MTBE and why is it being replaced by ethanol?
I was doing my research and came across the fact that, "Ethanol is increasingly used as an oxygenate additive for standard gasoline, as a replacement for methyl t-butyl ether (MTBE), the latter chemical being responsible for considerable groundwater and soil contamination"

More info on MTBE

Ethanol as an Oxygenate is used to LOWER your vehicle and your small engine (lawn mower, generator and such)emissions buy allowing for a better and more complete burn of the fuel, so it comes back to an EPA thing..

You also need to consider that there are only so many FUEL BLENDING distributors, these are the places where the tankers line up to get fuel for the stations.. It simply is not economical to send out one huge tanker with thousands of gallons capacity to fill ONE SMALL non Ethanol tank at a single gas station..

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Ethanol laced gas, but the harsh reality is there IS some level of Ethanol in ALL gasoline sold for ON THE ROAD USE. It may be 1%, 2% or 10% but it IS there.

Most gas pumps are labeled with a marking stating "UP TO 10% Ethanol".

The ones that might have a HUGE SIGN as "ETHANOL FREE" are more likely to have 1%-9% Ethanol..

You can buy supposed Ethanol free in a quart can marketed to the Lawn mower crowd but at $6.20 per quart you are paying $25 per gallon of fuel.. I can can afford buy a new lawn mower every year at those prices!

In all honesty, I researched this to death many years ago when I acquired a rather rare 1901 automobile, I was concerned that all the blather about Ethanol gas killing carbs.. I TRIED to get Ethanol free "AV" gas, TRIED to get Ethanol free RACING GAS but in PA, no station will sell it to the general public..

Well so far after 9 yrs of ownership, I can tell you that engine runs just as good or better than the fuel that was available back when it was built which was Naphtha or now known as Coleman fuel..

There has been no destruction of the carb, no clogged jets, no damage what so ever.

The ONLY possible issue would be IF the float was CORK which Shellac would have been used to seal the cork. Alcohol is used to liquefy the Shellac and it will soften and strip the Shellac..

My antique car has a brass float..

Modern small engines typically use a metal float or a composite plastic float which is not damaged by high Ethanol concentrations.

To store ANY GASOLENE you NEED A AIR TIGHT CONTAINER, it will stay fresh for a long time as long as no air can get in and allow the moisture to gather in the container.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Watch this video

Does Fuel Stabilizer Prevent Ethanol Damage?

Skip to 9:20 to see if 1 year old E10 with and without stabilizer and 1 year old E00 with and without stabilizer will start and run a small engine.

Stabilizer, the biggest pile of snake oil that they have made millions of dollars from. Tried it once after 6 months the bottom of the fuel tank and carb bowl was loaded with little jello blobs. It's a sure way you will be visiting your small engine mechanic for repairs.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon or your local a Honda dealer.

You might try soaking it in lacquer thinner.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
HOORAY, FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!
I tried the suggestion to see if my generator would keep running with the gas cap removed while our AC is on and it DID. Ran out the complete tank of gas to give it and our trailer AC a good workout.

So my next step seems to be check the fuel filter to see if it has partially clogged or the gas cap vent is clogged.

Got any idea how to unclog the vent/location on a Honda Eu3000is gas cap or a good source for a new one? What about the fuel filter?

You cannot imagine how happy this old man and his bride of 56 years are at this moment!

Mike

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Most airports and marinas sell e free gas. Our Race Tracs sell e free gas for boats in Fl.

NOPE, not "everywhere".

PA, you NEED to have a legit FAA TAIL NUMBER in order to purchase "AV" fuel from an airport.

For racing fuel, you NEED to own a race car AND have a valid PIT ticket for that day..

Don't know of ANY "Marinas" selling anything other than adulterated gas with alcohol in PA..

Hate to break it to you but you have been duped to believe that you are purchasing E free fuel, Ethanol has been mixed in the fuel supply before the 1970s, in the 1970s it was touted as the savior to the gas crisis as "Gasahol" at a higher cost, didn't sell so eventually it was FORCED onto the public via EPA in the name of clean air..

The reality is Ethanol is not the problem with most engines, it is DIRT in the fuel system which clogs off the small jet passages..

Honda carb design is highly prone to clogging in the main jet, pretty much not only Honda has this problem but any Honda clone which uses the same Honda carb design..

But I highly doubt that this is the issue with the OPs gen, clogged main jet symptom is the engine will not run without the choke partially or full on.

Water in fuel bowl due to E fuel is a reality, but give the gen a good shake and the water will recombine.. Or just dumpt the fuel bowl and try again, but this does not seem to fit the OPs issue since they CAN get it to start and they CAN get it start to run their A/C but it no longer will continue to operate their A/C reliably..

They NEED to check the current draw of the A/C while running, as the A/C gets hot, it will draw higher amperage.. The shore power can support that under normal circumstances but with a gen that is sized a bit small it may not have enough ummp to continue on with a full load attached..

They also may need to try turning off EVERYTHING in the RV, converter, waterheater element, switch fridge to gas, many, many reasons as to why the gen is no longer running the A/C..

They are also talking a 12 yr old gen, silly things like AVR failure, rotor failure, shorted stator, worn out plug, weak spark and plenty more can also cause the same symptoms..

So all these places that have a big sign that says โ€œEthanol Free Gasโ€ are lying?
And the airport sells gasoline in addition to Av gas. And itโ€™s not the carb that dislikes E gas, itโ€™s the rubber. Ethanol melts the fuel lines and diaphragms. My son has a landscaping business. They use premix e free fuel at twice the price for all their wackers and blowers. Because in the long run itโ€™s cheaper.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Most airports and marinas sell e free gas. Our Race Tracs sell e free gas for boats in Fl.

NOPE, not "everywhere".

PA, you NEED to have a legit FAA TAIL NUMBER in order to purchase "AV" fuel from an airport.

For racing fuel, you NEED to own a race car AND have a valid PIT ticket for that day..

Don't know of ANY "Marinas" selling anything other than adulterated gas with alcohol in PA..

In northwest PA we have ethanol-free gas at various gas stations
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Ethanol free gas stations
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:

NOPE, not "everywhere".

Hate to break it to you but you have been duped to believe that you are purchasing E free fuel, Ethanol has been mixed in the fuel supply before the 1970s, in the 1970s it was touted as the savior to the gas crisis as "Gasahol" at a higher cost, didn't sell so eventually it was FORCED onto the public via EPA in the name of clean air..

The reality is Ethanol is not the problem with most engines, it is DIRT in the fuel system which clogs off the small jet passages..

Honda carb design is highly prone to clogging in the main jet, pretty much not only Honda has this problem but any Honda clone which uses the same Honda carb design..

But I highly doubt that this is the issue with the OPs gen, clogged main jet symptom is the engine will not run without the choke partially or full on.

Water in fuel bowl due to E fuel is a reality, but give the gen a good shake and the water will recombine.. Or just dumpt the fuel bowl and try again, but this does not seem to fit the OPs issue since they CAN get it to start and they CAN get it start to run their A/C but it no longer will continue to operate their A/C reliably..

They NEED to check the current draw of the A/C while running, as the A/C gets hot, it will draw higher amperage.. The shore power can support that under normal circumstances but with a gen that is sized a bit small it may not have enough ummp to continue on with a full load attached..

They also may need to try turning off EVERYTHING in the RV, converter, waterheater element, switch fridge to gas, many, many reasons as to why the gen is no longer running the A/C..

They are also talking a 12 yr old gen, silly things like AVR failure, rotor failure, shorted stator, worn out plug, weak spark and plenty more can also cause the same symptoms..

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this video

Does Fuel Stabilizer Prevent Ethanol Damage?

Skip to 9:20 to see if 1 year old E10 with and without stabilizer and 1 year old E00 with and without stabilizer will start and run a small engine.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
People make WAY TOO MUCH about how bad E10/E15 fuel is for small engines. The issue is not the ethanol in the fuel, it is how OLD the fuel is !
I have just one data point which proves little or nothing by itself. Last week my chainsaw wouldn't run worth a hoot with standard mid-grade gasoline that was less than a year old. After fiddling with it for a long time I mixed up a tankful of 4 year old ethanol free gasoline. The chainsaw ran great on it.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
People make WAY TOO MUCH about how bad E10/E15 fuel is for small engines. The issue is not the ethanol in the fuel, it is how OLD the fuel is !

I use E10 all of the time. Sure, I have had carburetor problems, but it is just normal dirt in the fuel that gets stuck (typically) in the primary/idle jet causing operating RPMs to oscillate.

Simple solution. Do not stop your engine with the ignition switch, use the fuel shut off and run the carburetor dry EVERY TIME ! Don't have a fuel shut off ? INSTALL ONE !

Never leave fuel in your tank for more than about 3-6 months, even with fuel stabilizer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
rrupert wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Has it been stored with gas in the carb?

And do you use ethanol-free gas? Ethanol gas is hard on small engines.

Can you still buy ethanol-free gas?

Check from source if generator is still giving out the rated wattage.

Yes here are apps for your phone that will point to Pure Gasoline (no booze in it) and most Marinas have it.

Frankly I think the thing with E-10 is.... perhaps a bit over alarmed. I think many of the issues reported with it are older engines designed to run on e-0 to e-2 No more (E-2 is "Deicer" by the way Heet Brand Gas line antifreeze added to the tank by Standard bakck before E-5 and now e-10 became a thing.. It works).

Newer engines are designed to run on e-10 or higher (Depending on the engine) however I am not convinced of the "Benefits" of E-10 for other reasons thus I remain opposed to it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times