cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda Eu3000 Problem

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Had an earlier thread started on our problem, but the posts and thread got lengthy, so I thought I would start another for more additional accurate and clear input from folks.

Our Honda Eu3000is will start and power our 13,500 air conditioner travel trailer on high speed fine.

Wife and I (two old baby-boomers plus) have had it for ten years, used it boon-docking without any problems what-so-ever. Been totally trouble free. Kept oil changed religiously, and air filter cleaned.

Now,when we switch over to economy mode, our generator will run about three minutes, stumbles and shuts down power to the trailer. Generator keeps running, but red trouble light comes on.

In the economy mode, it will run satisfactorily with the fuel cap off.

I bought a new fuel cap, being sure that was the problem. However, that did not help the problem. Still shuts off power to our trailer after about three minutes.

Is there any other recommendations someone has that I can try?

Thought about removing and cleaning the spark arrestor on the exhaust to see if that would help.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Mike
15 REPLIES 15

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned, it has a carb fuel drain screw that is easily seen and accessible when you open the side panel door. It function is to drain fuel from the carb and gas line when the generator is going to be stored for a while.

Easy to use. As mentioned before, I did not even know it was there all these years. Never too old to learn, I guess.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned, it has a carb fuel drain screw that is easily seen and accessible when you open the side panel door. It function is to drain fuel from the carb and gas line when the generator is going to be stored for a while.

Easy to use. As mentioned before, I did not even know it was there all these years. Never too old to learn, I guess.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Thats interesting. I have my carb cleaned once as it was running rough. I always run the gas dry. Ive owned this since 2004 and always use Startron in my gas which cleans and stabilizes the fuel. Great machine.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing how a little bit of unseen contamination can cause problems. Hope this information will help others with their issues.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
TECMike wrote:
Just want to add, for those who may attempt the carb cleaning job, my carb looked perfectly clean. It was spotless.

Apparently there was some unseen minor dirt or something hid in one of the jets or body that the cleaning removed.

Hope the above helps someone.
Mike

I have no experience to speak of with the 3000, on one of my EU2000 Hondas, it would surge if the choke wasn't part way on when I bought it used. I cleaned the carb and was sure I had it very clean. It acted the same when I reassembled it, so I took it apart again. I found only one of the emulsion tube holes had a very tiny speck in it, and apparently that is all it took, because it runs perfect to this day.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to add, for those who may attempt the carb cleaning job, my carb looked perfectly clean. It was spotless.

Apparently there was some unseen minor dirt or something hid in one of the jets or body that the cleaning removed.

Hope the above helps someone.
Mike

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up removing my carburetor, cleaned it, and it now runs perfectly.

An experienced small engine mechanic told me about eighty-percent of the Honda generators they get in for repair only need their carburetors cleaned and that is really all they ever require, other than routine maintenance.

So, I took a chance, took my carburetor off, cleaned it, reassembled it, and it now runs like new when I purchased it twelve years ago.

Also, while at it, cleaned the spark arrestor, which did not appear dirty, put on a new air filter and new spark plug.

FYI, I learned the carburetor has a handy, easily accessable drain screw to drain the carburetor gas before storage. I did not know it was there. I

Again, thanks everyone for their recommendations and help.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
When our Yamaha 3000iSEB kept running but stopped making power it turned out to be a bad control unit. The replacement part was around $900 without labor. Ridiculous! I was basically left with a large paper weight and just replaced it with two smaller Honda generators. Hopefully that isnโ€™t your problem.
E.Lee Galik

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Watch the video--it shows where to look for the (rather crude) fuel filter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Heavy dose of seafoam might help.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You mention the stumble and power shutdown in economy mode. Does that only happen with the AC running, or does it happen anytime powering the trailer regardless of the AC?

Does the generator idle smoothly, or does the idle lope or hunt (seem to surge or run both fast and slow)?

The fact that it keeps running but stops making power seems like an electrical fault. But the fact that it runs with the gas cap off seems like it's an airflow problem. So on the airflow premise I'd say there are a few possible causes that I would try in order of easiest to hardest.

You already changed the cap so that's probably not it. But make sure the vent on the cap is set fully to the run position.

If the idle surges or hunts you probably have a dirty carburetor. a shot of Seafoam engine treatment in the fuel tank might cure this. Otherwise you'll have to disassemble and clean out the carburetor which is a bit more difficult than what's below.

You might just have a dirty air filter. Try running it for a few minutes with the filter removed. Or just clean or replace the filter.

Clean off the spark arrestor.

Change the spark plug.

Clean out the carburetor and adjust the valves.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Your manual doesn't show any fuel filter, but it does recommend draining the carb float bowl and sediment bowl for long storage sans any use. If nothing else works, I'd look there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
The only fuel filter I see is where you pour gas in the tank. It is a screen. If there is another fuel filter, someone please tell me where it is if possible.

I have left gas in it year around, also used Sta-bil gas conditioner year around without any problems and generator has worked fine.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you left it sitting with gas in the carburetor?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman