cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hot brake

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1 drum brake that stops hotter than the other 3. I replaced all seals because of grease leakage. Hot brake was greaseier. I cleaned better than others. Do I need to clean other 3 better? Do I need to lubricate magnet on hot one? Or what? Thanks
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK
14 REPLIES 14

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
Took a trip around lower Michigan. Took about 50 miles to feel brakes working. Did a temperature check, about 10 degrees variable. Stopped with less side pull.got back to Grand rapids son's house. Did a brake adjustment, ready to head back home to Florida. Except for another broken spring hanger, found broken one on way up got it fixed in Tennessee. Time to find a welder.
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
Checked temp on trip. 1 was hotter 2 we're about 15 degrees cooler 1 was about air temp. Changed out all brakes, backing plate assembly. 3 were greasy on magnet.1 of them had a broken magnet wire. Hot 1 was probably doing the most work, last year when I replaced grease seals and packed bearings it was the messeyist, I cleaned drum with brake clean. Fixed wires, cleaned all drums good, packed bearings,1 replaced metal flakes,adjusted manual adjust brakes, checked truck connector wires. Good to go I hope
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
Current brakes are self adjusters. IAM going to back off hot brake some to see if that helps. I have new brake sets coming , non self adjusters. Will replace this summer after 1500 trip, from Florida to Michigan.
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
Should know something by September. Thanks again for thoughts and ideas.
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
As was said grease will soak into the pad and cleaning them with solvent will not get it all out
When you apply the brakes the shoes get hot releasing the soaked in grease.
This also could cause the brakes to grab making more heat.
Hope you get it fixed and let us know if you get the issue resolved.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
bowebow wrote:
Thank you for your help. I think I will back off adjuster on hot brake to start with. I have a temperature check gun, I will compare to other brakes. If it's still a problem then will buy a backing plate brake kit for all 4. Thanks

Donโ€™t overlook the possibility that the other three arenโ€™t working well because of loose adjustment or a bad connection in the wiring.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help. I think I will back off adjuster on hot brake to start with. I have a temperature check gun, I will compare to other brakes. If it's still a problem then will buy a backing plate brake kit for all 4. Thanks
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I had 1 about 25-30 degrees hotter than others. With a flashlight and tiny tiny mirror I rotated the star wheel adjustment thing 3 ridges backwards and fixed. But I suppose every setup is different. Long uphill offramp not using brakes to stop then take temps to see if brake shoe is dragging or applying more brake pressure than others is guessing game at first.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

WVJayco
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had the same problem and fixed it myself after Lippert sent me new everything at their cost. Search my thread under General RVing issues, TT brake sticking. If you read my last post you will see what I found. It's very likely you have the same problem with the arm that holds the magnet having too much "play" in it. When I was dealing with my problem I also found a YouTube video on this problem also. Hope this helps.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

2017 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would get new shoes if they had been covered in grease.

Usually all the grease cannot be removed and replacement is necessary.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would get new shoes if they had been covered in grease.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No grease on magnet.
Also make sure bearings are adjusted correctly.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes need to be grease free, including the magnets. Did you repack the bearings?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Are the brakes adjusted equally?

I've never heard of lubing the magnet.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900