cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water heater smell

Lablady
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 2005 Eagle Cap camper and since it was during winter the dealer had put the pink antifreeze in the tank. When the weather warmed up we drained and flushed the water system, but I'm still getting this horrible smell from the hot water, kind of like onions. We pulled the anode and it looked brand new, but was black and slimy. I scrubbed it, reinstalled it, flushed the system with tank freshener and still getting that smell from only the hot water. I'm ordering a tank wand to really get in there and flush it, but what in the world is causing the anode to turn black? I hate using that antifreeze. We also have a 23' trailer also which had the same antifreeze in it but we have not had this problem with it. And since flushing that water system we no longer use the antifreeze but blow out the water lines in the winter.
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
I pulled the anode years ago, 2007 MH no smell and I drain the tank after each trip. daughter has four labs, great dogs.

Do you understand what the anode rod does? Doug

PS, They cause labs to be bad dogs, I guess:h

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
I pulled the anode years ago, 2007 MH no smell and I drain the tank after each trip. daughter has four labs, great dogs.

My sisters roommate's second cousin has a few cats and she says she loves them!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Use Bleach to sanitize the system and Water Heater tank. Doug

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have found over the years that when on well water, the rotten egg smell shows up. We recently went out for 2 weeks and the campground was on well water. Before going I sanitized the HW tank with bleach. The rotten egg smell started to show up towards the end of our stay there. When we got home I drained and then sanitized the HW tank again.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Flush, flush, flush. Then sanitize with bleach, and repeat

X2

NEVER LET WATER SIT IN A SUBURBAN WATER HEATER!!!

That can't be stressed strongly enough. This isn't optional, it's a must! Not all water will cause the anode to breakdown and stink but most campground water is well water and chances are very high it will cause problems.

You must pull the anode rod after each use and drain the tank. Failure to do so will sooner or later result in a rotten egg smell that's hard to get rid of. Flush it over and over, put a little bleach in it and fill it with water then let it sit overnight before draining and install a new anode.

Watch this video by Suburban Water Heater and become an expert in eliminating odors and maintaining your Suburban water heater:
RV Water Heater Odor Elimination - Suburban Water Heater Series 1 - Video 5

NEVER PUT ANY RV ANTIFREEZE IN YOUR HOT WATER TANK!!!
If you don't have a winterizing bypass on your hot water, get one or have one installed! It'll save you more in time and trouble than it costs! Then before you winterize, drain your water heater and switch the valves. You'll use a lot less antifreeze and make it much easier to de-winterize in the spring. Me?, I blow my lines out instead of using the antifreeze. Just make sure you blow them out thoroughly and you'll be okay. Just put a cup of antifreeze down each "P" trap and quart down the toilet.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You never want to put RV antifreeze in the FW tank or the HWH. What you have bypass valves for. I recommend the vinegar flush as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Flush, flush, flush. Then sanitize with bleach, and repeat

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you continue to get the smell after the above suggestion, give the water heater a vinegar soak, google it for instructions.

In the future, get a bypass to keep the antifreeze out of the water heater.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I get the rotten eggs smell. I flush the tank a couple of times, get a new anode, and the smell goes away. Now I'm draining the heater tank after each trip.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE