cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Toilet Cleaners Ok for Rv Toilets.

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do rv toilets have to be cleaned with specially made cleaners for rv’s. Is it harmful to the rv pipes, gaskets and connections to use Clorox Bleach. Must the cleaner be rv friendly.
13 REPLIES 13

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Pine-Sol since '06 and no problems. Nice smell to boot.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1986 rv awhile back which had a plastic(non porcelain) toilet bowl that developed discoloration of the bowl after I put a series of chemicals in it like bleach and toilet bowl cleaners. Never could remove the discoloration even with scrubbing.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A squirt or two of any mild cleaner will be fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No I used regular old Scrubbing Bubbles. or other toilet cleaners. No tribbles.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
precioustime wrote:
Do rv toilets have to be cleaned with specially made cleaners for rv’s. Is it harmful to the rv pipes, gaskets and connections to use Clorox Bleach. Must the cleaner be rv friendly.

No. RV waste plumbing is ABS and the waste valve seals are Santoprene. Both ABS and Santoprene are not affected by bleach.

However, in the 90's and early 00's, polybutylene (PB) plumbing was used in houses and RVs. It was a disaster as bleach disintegrated PB (see Spencer Class action lawsuit).

So unless you have one of these old RVs, don't worry.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds silly but consider waxing the inside of the bowl. Things do slide off easier.

Avoid harsh chemicals. Your household system is porcline and PVC for the most part...pretty close to indestructible. Your RV toilet is typically plastic and uses rubber seals that won't like the harsh chemicals.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
We've found that cleaners, even the mildest dish soaps, can remove the white finish of Dometic toilet lids and seats.
-jbh-

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
We use cleanser and a brush but not the liquid cleaners that are harsher. No problems with our last RV and hope no problems with this one.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many RV toilets have plastic bowls to keep the weight down. At least my Thetford toilet has a plastic bowl. When it was new waste slid off quickly. The design can work pretty consistently using less than 1 cup of flush water.

My 17 year old toilet with lots and lots of use still flushes like new. It has never, ever been scrubbed with any brush or other cleaning device and certainly it has never seen bleach or other harsh chemicals. It is still as slick as new and flushes just as easily. I recommend doing the same even if the bowl is porcelain.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Try Barkeepers Friend for stubborn toilet stains. Better yet, get rid of your stubborn toilet!

No, seriously. BKF (which is a mild acid in powder form) works well.

And on a different level, is it sad that I am mildly excited to read a thread on RV bathroom cleaning? I pay little or no attention to the bathrooms in my stick house. But somehow an RV toilet is a matter of great interest.

To answer my own question: Yes, it's sad.

You made me laugh with your comment! Have a good day.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try Barkeepers Friend for stubborn toilet stains. Better yet, get rid of your stubborn toilet!

No, seriously. BKF (which is a mild acid in powder form) works well.

And on a different level, is it sad that I am mildly excited to read a thread on RV bathroom cleaning? I pay little or no attention to the bathrooms in my stick house. But somehow an RV toilet is a matter of great interest.

To answer my own question: Yes, it's sad.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I try not to use anything special in the toilet. But sometimes its needed, so windex it is. Is it good or bad? No idea, but I just spray and wipe it dry.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
No. RV plumbing isn't any more sensitive to cleaners. With the possible exception of the rubber seal on the flush ball valve. That said, your RV while you travel dumps into a number of varying septic system types. And harsh chemicals kill bacteria that are needed to break down waste - sort of defeating the purpose of having a healthy septic system. We try and use eco friendly cleaners but I'm not here to preach, so to each his own.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS