cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you pull your generator?

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I had to drop the genset in our coach to replace the starter I blocked up and dumped the airbags to set the generator down on the blocks. Removed the screws and lifted the coach up.

I thought I was clever but getting everything lined back up in was a PITA.

Now that I needed to drop it again to address fuel flow issues, I bought a motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887...

Seems to be working okay for me this time around. I did over estimate where the genset's center of gravity is at but should be able to get things adjusted around when I go back up with it.

So I was wondering what anyone else has used to pull a generator out with.
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA
6 REPLIES 6

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
pryoclastic wrote:
bounder39zman wrote:
we normally will replace rotary pump/shut off valve with low pressure pump, due to excessive cost of rotary pump and valve
Got part numbers handy?

Does that mean you would like to know what the #s are?..:W

Might be secret stuff. If no reply - check with Wikileaks.

~

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
bounder39zman wrote:
we normally will replace rotary pump/shut off valve with low pressure pump, due to excessive cost of rotary pump and valve
Got part numbers handy?
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
At our shop, often use motorcycle jack, or floor jack. Mostly use fork lift, although I realize that it is a luxury to have concrete floor and a FLT.Also sawed up some 2x8 treated boards and made some drive on ramps to get that little extra clearance often needed to slide genset out the side. From pics, looks like a little bit of air cleaner clearance issue.
Hope those parts fix your problem. ONAN used that rotary pump with a electric shut off valve on early Marquis sets; later sets just used a pulse/piston type pump. we normally will replace rotary pump/shut off valve with low pressure pump, due to excessive cost of rotary pump and valve

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
At our shop, often use motorcycle jack, or floor jack. Mostly use fork lift, although I realize that it is a luxury to have concrete floor and a FLT.Also sawed up some 2x8 treated boards and made some drive on ramps to get that little extra clearance often needed to slide genset out the side. From pics, looks like a little bit of air cleaner clearance issue.
Hope those parts fix your problem. ONAN used that rotary pump with a electric shut off valve on early Marquis sets; later sets just used a pulse/piston type pump. we normally will replace rotary pump/shut off valve with low pressure pump, due to excessive cost of rotary pump and valve

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a standard automotive style floor jack. The main difficulty I experienced was failing to measure and take into account the height of the floor jack plus generator, which meant I couldn't actually slide it out from under the skirting of the motorhome (which, unlike yours, doesn't all hinge up). Getting the center of gravity right was a bit of a guess, but I got close enough to not have any great trouble there.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is on rails and when pulled out, most any regular service is easy. There is also a lifting point in the top to screw in an eye to lift it out. Very well though out, but then, the design is near 50years old.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.