cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to clean 12 volt connections

da_bees
Explorer
Explorer
I'm putting a 5er back on the road after years in storage. The 7 way brass needs to be cleaned. The vom detects less than 1 volt unless probe scratches through surface corosion. The corosion is typical brass/copper dark surface. Any tried and tested cleaning tips apreciated. Scotch pad and emery cloth is a slow go and not getting to all areas.
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I like Coke, it leaves the connection just as corroded but nice and sticky. Sorry. I tried this a dozen times and it does not even work that good on fuzzy green battery terminals. Boiling hot white vinegar followed by dilute baking soda does work. But nothing is as good as replacing the connector with a new one.

da_bees
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the commercial products but remember the Coke trick in case of emergency. If I replaced everything that gave me trouble,I wouldn't have money left for fuel.
This plug isn't the first and likly not the last of this type problem. I figure a one time investment of $15 will fix several other issues as they come up.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When that badly corroded I just replace with new.

Strip wire back, new screws to connect to and new blades on plug.

Heck of a lot easier/faster than trying to clean up corroded contacts.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
OK here's a old school way to get them nice and shinny. Get a can of COKE pour it in a container that the connector will fit in. put the connector (or battery terminal) in the bowel of coke for a couple of minutes. pull the connector out and see if the corrosion is all gone. Wash the connector out with water, dry it out (air hose works real good) then treat the connector with silicon grease, and your ready to go. You can use de-ox-it instead of water.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Even Caig DeOxit D100 needs help on a badly corroded surface. But the combunation of the cleaner plus that afirementioned seven brush cap cleaner would work well. Flush out the residuewith brake cleaner.

My opinion of the rest of the contact cleaners is it leaves corrosion and oxidation intact but perfectly clean.
Not a speck of dirt or dust on the corrosion.

I just used D100 on my Weller 260 watt soldering gun. Where the copper tip gets allen screw fastened to the aluminum socket tubes. Apparently D100 works miracles just as well on aluminum as it does on copper or tinned surfaces (gold too).

After 11-years in service this thing acts like a different gun. WOW! It heats the tip in a fraction of the time it took even brand new. Aluminum + copper is bad juju.

Some thing to chew on: if that trailer plug is so bad in the socket contacts it's going to be every bit as compromised on the other end. Replacement and renewing of the copper wire strand shininess is by far the best choice. I use silicone dielectric grease and it works well - for years and years.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
They make a 7 hole wirer brush that cleans these out. Try NAPA or Auto Zone for this tool.I had one when I was a truck mechanic

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Cleaner from NAPA.

Works great when label directions are followed.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Electrical-Parts-Cleaner-MAC-Electronic-Cleaner-11-oz/_/R-MCR4710_0057062154
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Caig D5 Deoxit- spray, then plug and unplug a few times.
-- Chris Bryant