Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hydrogen power

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This looks like a fuel cell--with the ability to recharge too.

Hydrogen Reactor.

Too bad it is not a 12 volt unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The advantages are density of power.. Hydrogen compared to AA batteries is rather dense. The disadvantages are cost and containment (As noted by a prior poster) and where does the H2 come from?

THey split water to get it,, Ok, how do you do that? Why you take standard house power, rectify it, and feed it to a container of water via a couple of electrodes, You collect the gas that boils off ONE of them (The other one is oxygen) and you then compress it.. All this takes electricity, A LOT OF IT, relative to what you will recover.

Thus not practical for RV use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Nice curiosity, but I wouldn't touch it with an oxygen molecule...Still perfecting my sea water to hydrogen cold converter!

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Before you jump into any hydrogen technology, look very closely at what hydrogen plumbing and hook up system you need. Hydrogen molecules are the smallest of all and we found when handling it in a lab, it will migrate through (leak from) most normal gas connections. Then if you have places that trap the loose gas, you're looking at flash fires and/or explosions. Handling this stuff like LP gas is just not going to work. It take special and expensive equipment and care.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
But it is a sign of things to come perhaps?

Exactly! I remember reading that when first invented, people thought the 'Horseless Carriage' was just a curiosity that made a lot of noise and served no real purpose.....

so, yer sayin they have a real purpose?:B

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
The Other piece appears to be a glorified Battery Charger! So what makes "it" work 115 Volt AC?
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Exactly! I remember reading that when first invented, people thought the 'Horseless Carriage' was just a curiosity that made a lot of noise and served no real purpose.....

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Neat idea,

Still kinda expensive, but the prices should come down in a few years with mass production. It would be a great way to store solar energy for use during "Peak hours". Such as when the sun is not shining and the wind machines have stopped.

Yes there are 1 million watt fuel cells in use today. And it is well known that you can use the fuel cell to make hydrogen by applying voltage to the fuel cell. Even some in the 15 MW to 50 MW size. They are best used while also being able to use a lot of hot water, such as being close to a greenhouse that can use the excess heat that is also generated while running the fuel cell.

Home Power Magazine has done a few articles about fuel cells over the years. One is a storage tank using a chemical inside, that allows much more hydrogen to be stored without increasing the pressure to high. However it will heat the tank while increasing the pressure, and cool down when taking out the hydrogen.

Lots of interesting things going on with hydrogen. But not all of it is new. I was watching a film when I was in grade school (many years ago) where a guy was running a briggs and stratton engine on hydrogen, with a face mask attached to the exhaust muffler. The engineer who built it said the exhaust is cleaner than the air going into the engine.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr. Wizard,

It is even worse. To recharge the "reactor" cells you need the other device on the page--which costs an additional $279.99.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
5v 2 amp

expensive way to recharge your iPhone

even at 12v, it would only be a float maintainer, better off spending the $170 on solar
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
They are around. There was a company selling these for news crews with an Anton-Bauer connector on it several years ago Great idea until you try and take it on board an airplane.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350