cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need help removing my broken water heater drain plug

albow
Explorer
Explorer
I was removing it to winterize today and about 1/4 turn out, it broke off. I guess I tightened too tight before. I've had the same thing happen on my boat pontoon so I learned to take a drill bit and wallow out an indentation in a spot, being careful not to scarf the threads, so that my file can fit in the hole just right and have something to grab, as this never happens to leave any part of the plug where you can grab it with pliers or anything. Well, apparently, my boat plugs are not nylon because this technique wouldn't work with my nylon heater plug. I essentially could not get a groove going for an ideal catch point. I can't believe I couldn't get this to happen. Fortunately, this hole is slightly smaller than my pontoon, so my file grabbed the soft nylon when I shoved it in far enough. Boy, did it grab! I shoved inward forcefully so it wouldn't spin, but I couldn't get it to budge. Then, I but some locking pliers on the file to get leverage to rotate it. It held so strongly that I broke my file (it was a half round mf for those of y'all who remember the joke). It still didn't budge. So, I'm at a loss as to how to remove the rest of it. My best guess at this point is to stick a lighter in the hole and try to melt it away but I'm not crazy about the possibility of getting some melted plastic in the tank. Would the chances of that be minimal, since the drain is angled towards the ground a little instead of parallel? I tested burning the part of the plug that did come out with the head and it turns black and slowly melts. Any better or easier ideas? BTW, the head is 22mm which correlates to around 7/8" but I'm just seeing 1/2" plugs. Is that actually the same plug and the inner diameter is actually 1/2"? Thanks.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
23 REPLIES 23

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
When you get it out, don't make the same mistake by replacing it with another nylon plug. I started using a brass plug 15 years ago and it is still working fine, including easy out with a crescent wrench.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1Flyboy wrote:
If the remaining threads are of plastic or nylon, you could heat up a screwdriver head & melt a grove/ slot in the material. Then cool down the screwdriver head & unscrew the remainderโ€ฆA picture of your problem would be helpfulโ€ฆ.

X2

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
If the remaining threads are of plastic or nylon, you could heat up a screwdriver head & melt a grove/ slot in the material. Then cool down the screwdriver head & unscrew the remainderโ€ฆA picture of your problem would be helpfulโ€ฆ.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go down to Lowes or HD and pick up an internal pipe wrench.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Its plastic, don't make it harder than it needs to be and an easy out will only make it tighter.

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
drill it close to the id it is and pry out what is left of the plug.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Get an easy out, drill the right size hole to fit and just turn it out.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one break off on my previous coach. I used a pocket knife to lift up an edge, then needle nose pliers to twist it out.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the hardware store and buy a "sprinkler riser removal tool." I have removed several with one of these, works perfect.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-and-3-4-in-Plastic-Nipple-Extractor-26076/100203404
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X