cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I think I'm looking at new batteries.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of interstate Costco 6v that are about 3 years old. We don't boondocks anymore and the trailer is at the ranch and hooked up constantly. PD9855 (?) does the charging.

I did a SOC and all 6 cells are 1.275 or slightly higher. I checked the voltage on the positive (connection) battery and it is about a half a volt higher than the negative (connection) battery.

When I put the Meanwell on the positive battery bubbles like crazy and the negative battery barely bubbles.

I reversed the battery and the negative battery still does not bubble much. I cleaned all the connections and the interconnect cable reads 0 ohms.

I'm pretty sure it means new batteries.
RVing since 1995.
23 REPLIES 23

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Checked the batteries after setting overnight without any drain. 6.42 & 6.43 (12.85) with Fluke meter. Checked SOC with refractometer and all cells were slightly over 1.3. Guess there is nothing to worry about.

1.3 seems high and this is the first time I used a new refractometer. I calibrated it with distilled water at the same temp as the battery.

Gonna throw them back in and see how it goes.
RVing since 1995.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried "equalizing" them?

Testing and Equalizing My RVs 4 Golf Cart Battery Bank

Battery University - BU-404: What is Equalizing Charge?

HOW TO: Maintain & Equalize RV Batteries
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
9855 sounds like WFCO not the far better PD.

Let them sit disconnected and see if voltage holds up 12.65+ for a few days.

I would continue to use them until they develop other issues.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bubbling could mean something (or not).

The one that bubbles more is the one with the higher voltage? Doesn't fit with the way a battery will bubble more when it is older near end of life. Besides their SGs are ok. If sulphated, SG would be more like 1.260 as its max.

To try new ways around in case of some uneven charging for whatever reason, I would also swap the series connector to the other posts and now use the old series ones for pos and neg, just to vary things.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I always had different voltages with 6s in series. If the total was 12.6v, that might be 6.2 plus 6.4.

You get more like 6.0 plus 6.6?

I would give the pair a deep cycle to say 50% SOC and then a recharge and see what the SGs are after that. Maybe now a difference will appear, or maybe the voltages will even up some. Hard to tell now with all the SGs looking good if anything is wrong.

They might just need a bit of exercise. Battery specs recommend doing that every so often if they are on a float for a long time.

I'll give the deep discharge a try. I am concerned with the significant difference in bubbling between the 2 when on desulfation. They have been on "float" for a couple of months. Not much camping in the Mojave in summer.
RVing since 1995.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
BFL x 2

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Are you still using the trailer, other than where it's parked now? IF not, or if never without hookups available, you may want to simplify to a single 12 VOLT rv/marine battery just to simplify.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always had different voltages with 6s in series. If the total was 12.6v, that might be 6.2 plus 6.4.

You get more like 6.0 plus 6.6?

I would give the pair a deep cycle to say 50% SOC and then a recharge and see what the SGs are after that. Maybe now a difference will appear, or maybe the voltages will even up some. Hard to tell now with all the SGs looking good if anything is wrong.

They might just need a bit of exercise. Battery specs recommend doing that every so often if they are on a float for a long time.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hooked up constantly bothers me. I keep my batteries on a light duty solar system with a controller. Three years isnโ€™t exceptional.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad