Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want one!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi All,

500 mile range loaded to 80,000 pounds. 30 minutes to recharge to 400 mile range. It may be self driving, too.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113863_tesla-semi-500-mile-range-lower-running-costs-than-dies...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
135 REPLIES 135

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fact of the matter is that naysayers are sometimes correct. I still haven't seen the personal helicopters, and jet packs that were supposed to be ubiquitous by the late 20th century, although the self-driving autos are making an appearance, albeit a few decades late. No colonies on the moon, or broadcast power, as was forecast. The huge space stations and tours to the moon are more than a few decades from reality.

Dirigibles and blimps, which were the airships of the future, have come and gone. Sometimes healthy skepticism keeps the Charles Ponzi's of the world having to work for a living.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
There will always be naysayers around to argue against advancement. The arguments against the possibility of manned flight in 1903 were the same arguments against manned space flight in the 1960's, and that sending moving pictures through the air was a joke by some lunatic with more money than brains. And that supersonic flight would never happen. And computers would never be in every person's pocket.

Those same doubters said that Elon Musk would never succeed in launching a satellite into orbit and then having the launch rocket return and land on a barge in the ocean. And they doubt there will ever be electric powered semi trucks. Keep doubting if that's what makes you happy, but denying the inevitability of progress has been and always will be a fool's errand.

My 2ยข, and nothing more.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This got pretty far off the topic of electric semi trucks.
Which, with todayโ€™s technology, is bordering on IDIOTIC.
Electric motors are great. What everyone seems to ignore is that our ability to store electricity SUCKS.
The amount of power needed by big trucks cannot be stored in batteries that donโ€™t weigh too much.
The amount of time required to charge them is too long.
Incidentally, depending on what state youโ€™re in, 80,000 pounds is not the limit. Here in WA you can go 105,500.

Ha... steady state level ground cruising... thatโ€™s a joke. Reality is hills and stop & go traffic.
That Tesla truckโ€™s specs wonโ€™t cut it.

People with as much money as Elon usually lose touch with reality. Youโ€™ve also read about his Mars thing, right?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For at least two decades my city has required every home is built with a 40 amp outlet (NEMA 14-50) in the garage for EV charging. Most of us are ready to go.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

And then there is the distinct possibility of another Carrington event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Reality Check re: Utilities and Assumptions
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am not posing a Chicken Little scenario.

What I am posing is ludicrous decisions made by an inept government and acceptance by a "Don't Bother Me With This" constituency. A one point eight billion dollar state agency that cannot see a banana peel laying on the sidewalk less than 200 miles from their tall office tower windows.

Hundreds of millions? The wine country fires are going to cost YOU the consumer. Just like the San Francisco outage added to growing number of WE NEED TO RAISE RATES! mishaps. Your perceived economic model is not private enterprise. To wit they can never go bankrupt. The umbrella covers them as a public utility.

Before I tire of arguing something intangible therefore win less...

The only thing that can save the issue is modularization. Storage. Only an answer other than a Bob Marley special (Don't Worry Be Happy) would be valid. Governor Brown's fleet of mandated cars (remember the mandate says NO PETROLEUM CARS ALLOWED) will have to be satisfied for forty million residents. I remember 1983. When the rain did not stop falling for 186 consecutive days (Fort Bragg CA) The power was off for over a month. No? Georgia Pacific, the giant sawmill powered the city with wood chip power generation. The sawmill has disappeared.

Down here when we get a bad summer storm, the power can remain off for a week. With the gloom under thick clouds 204 watts of Kyocera panels puts out seven tenths of an amp at high noon. Food is transferred from the beach restaurant to my freezers and refrigerators (Even Quicksilver's Vest Frost 24 volt refrigerator and freezer is used). So I have an idea of generating, consuming, and managing power. As an EE I get to see faults and weaknesses that others cannot see.

GENUINE GUESSWORK FORECAST

Electric cars will continue their slow crawl upward in popularity. The Chinese and Indians both are hot to trot about lithium batteries. This is a good sign.

Ford GM and Mopar, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, VW, even Rolls Royce will start adding more and more vehicles. California's population will pass forty million. Small nuances will be enacted to greatly increase the number of charging stations. The number of electric vehicles will continue but this time the increase will be explosive as the manDATE approaches.

Then from out of nowhere another drought hits. There have been enough of them in the last forty years I see no need to elaborate. Drought, hot summer, and critically limited hydroelectric. Have you ANY idea at all just how low Lake Shasta, Lake Folsom, Oroville, and lake Mead got during the last drought? It was near catastrophic. Add reservoirs that cannot grow to millions more people, ten million electric vehicles and education comes into play. How many 8-hour a day solar panels does it take to replace a missing 24 hour a day 10 GIGAwatts of hydroelectric power? The learning curve will be spectacularly steep.

While some preferred to drink brewskies and wear out the numbers on their TV remote, I sat and listened to an 103 year old (best guess) Paiute woman tell stories of the Sierra mountains not getting ANY snow for "many years in a row", That was in 1982 and the stories were from her grandmother. No snow meant that. ZERO for many years. Mono Lake dried to the point where the two islands allowed coyotes access to seagull nests and just about wiped out the black tipped gull.

"Somebody came and took my bed, don't worry".

I planned for outages where I live. While people suffer steam bath nights and no refrigeration, I continue to live a modest life. My neighbors are not immune to Bob Marleyism...when I suggested they save and get a marine battery for a fan, they lit up a Marlboro and spent another eight dollars on a six pack. Tough. I refuse to feel pity. In 1985, when an incredible 3 feet of slush brought down power lines in the Eastern Pacific Sierras, Pool hydroelectric Plant and Round Valley geothermal powered the entire region. I was fortunate. I also had a pair of 500 gallon LPG tanks and a 6.5NH Onan generator just in case. The tanks nor contents were not mine but I had permission to use (and later pay for LPG) however much I used.

The rest if of my days will be spent in a country with no mandates but I wonder what next the Kalfornia Komrads are going to forbid me from purchasing. Oh well, time to see how many more watts I can kill in this house hold. I really try not to be a hypocrite. I believe I have spoken my piece. Thank you.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
We just got a notice that our electric rate is going to INCREASE by 25%
Is that 8 cents to 10 cents?
What is driving it?

Was about 6.5 just for generation charges. Delivery are about the same. In our bills we got notice that First Energy (formerly Penelec) got their rate increase request approved by the PUC for 25%.

We do have a bunch of windmills that have been sold several times (with tax breaks every time) and now owned by a foreign country company.

Pennsylvania power and politics hate the PA Citizens. Corruption (self-serving vs representing the taxpayers) is rampant ๐Ÿ˜ž

PS- You asked what is driving it? Greed.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there will be occasional issues. Growing pains, just like you said.

Like I said - when Sn Fransisco goes dark for 7 hours, the power company just lost hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue from electricity they were not able to sell. There is a huge financial incentive for electrical companies to stay ahead of this, and I think they will.

The sky is not falling, and it's not going to fall.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check re: Utilities and Assumptions

Your High Integrity Future Electrical Provider. Proof speaks volumes.

I refuse to be flippant and quip "Growing Pains".

Whole legions of people are facing nightmares because they "assumed"

CAN'T HAPPEN!!! (until it did)

Can't Happen So Why Even Discuss It?

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
Deal with GENERATING, TRANSMISSION, AND DISTRIBUTION, FIRST.

This is suggesting that we should have supply before demand. This almost never happens.

The future is electric and self-driving. The grid is not going to fail; it will be expanded as demand increases. People will not tolerate blackouts, and electric utilities won't tolerate the lost revenue they cause.

This web site gives some estimates of the cost of blackouts:

http://radiflow.com/cost-of-a-power-outage/

They estimate that a 9-hour outage around London would cost over $500 million. There is tremendous financial incentive for electric utilities to keep robust delivery systems in place.

Electric cars are going to be cheaper and better for nearly everyone, especially commuters. For a lot of people, they already are.

Steve

Thumbs up Steve. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Deal with GENERATING, TRANSMISSION, AND DISTRIBUTION, FIRST.

This is suggesting that we should have supply before demand. This almost never happens.

The future is electric and self-driving. The grid is not going to fail; it will be expanded as demand increases. People will not tolerate blackouts, and electric utilities won't tolerate the lost revenue they cause.

This web site gives some estimates of the cost of blackouts:

http://radiflow.com/cost-of-a-power-outage/

They estimate that a 9-hour outage around London would cost over $500 million. There is tremendous financial incentive for electric utilities to keep robust delivery systems in place.

Electric cars are going to be cheaper and better for nearly everyone, especially commuters. For a lot of people, they already are.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

And, they all go home, shut off their windshield wipers and heater, pull into their (wait! I don't have a garage!) Plug into, "**** they stole my cord and outlet again!" and 500 miles of freeway congestion, draws for the 5th day of no sunshine on their $3,000 kypnohypnofantantasmagorical 10,000 kWh battery bank. Time to Rain X the solar panels. Hail? Oh my god! No!

They do make 30-amp 120vac connectors, but this is a major phase load on a 240 volt service. 30x120 = 3,600 va. How large are those automobile battery banks? You say you wanted to out for dinner? And Kissmybutt Inc. your employer says putting charger ports in employee parking lots will happen right after you get your platinum Rolex Oyster for 10 years of faithful service.

Or you can head to a charger port station right after work. Fifty stalls and only fourteen cars ahead of you. Whadd'ya mean there are thirty six million cars in L.A. going to need an eye-opener for a ride home? Home. You know, where anything left outside overnight is appraised for its copper value?

"Hello. AAA? Help! Someone pried off my charger cap in the Amazon stick and brick and sucked my battery dry". Laugh on, DC to DC converters are cheap.

Picking at this is fun. It's like bringing a globe to a flat-earth society convention. Or a Moon Rock to a conspiracy theorist's Love In.

But what isn't fun is listening to the psychobabble of Moonbeam and his Manson-intense cult of "believers" who insist those whom question royal mandates should go home, kick off their shoes and fire-up a quarter-pounder.

Electric cars are neat. I love the idea. Given the CURRENT state of Free Love for electric cars in California, I would not hesitate to own one if my infrastructure supported it. Zere's a lot of if's in ziss dream fantasy. It's when an addled George Orwell demands everyone join his conga line is where I draw my line.

Although I do donโ€™t get most of the above, why would an EV driver have to shut down their wipers and heater?
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

And, they all go home, shut off their windshield wipers and heater, pull into their (wait! I don't have a garage!) Plug into, "**** they stole my cord and outlet again!" and 500 miles of freeway congestion, draws for the 5th day of no sunshine on their $3,000 kypnohypnofantantasmagorical 10,000 kWh battery bank. Time to Rain X the solar panels. Hail? Oh my god! No!

They do make 30-amp 120vac connectors, but this is a major phase load on a 240 volt service. 30x120 = 3,600 va. How large are those automobile battery banks? You say you wanted to out for dinner? And Kissmybutt Inc. your employer says putting charger ports in employee parking lots will happen right after you get your platinum Rolex Oyster for 10 years of faithful service.

Or you can head to a charger port station right after work. Fifty stalls and only fourteen cars ahead of you. Whadd'ya mean there are thirty six million cars in L.A. going to need an eye-opener for a ride home? Home. You know, where anything left outside overnight is appraised for its copper value?

"Hello. AAA? Help! Someone pried off my charger cap in the Amazon stick and brick and sucked my battery dry". Laugh on, DC to DC converters are cheap.

Picking at this is fun. It's like bringing a globe to a flat-earth society convention. Or a Moon Rock to a conspiracy theorist's Love In.

But what isn't fun is listening to the psychobabble of Moonbeam and his Manson-intense cult of "believers" who insist those whom question royal mandates should go home, kick off their shoes and fire-up a quarter-pounder.

Electric cars are neat. I love the idea. Given the CURRENT state of Free Love for electric cars in California, I would not hesitate to own one if my infrastructure supported it. Zere's a lot of if's in ziss dream fantasy. It's when an addled George Orwell demands everyone join his conga line is where I draw my line.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
This is an example of a potential HIGH GRID LOAD. This is a new 40 stall supercharger site in a small town in California. Although it is partially powered by solar it has the potential of being a high load if all stalls are occupied. So monday mornings and Friday nights for the commuter crowd between LA and Frisco. Its a long video but kinda cool. This kind of infrastructure is what makes Tesla the first choice for many EV owners. When the genetleman filned this there were also three model 3's there. Kinda neat to start seeing them in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wkc7PUSyR0

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The grid is decrepit. In 1957 an 1100 square foot apartment only required a 40 amp service. A building with 43 suites has a main fuse of only 1000 amps. How do I know? I just paid for upgrading to 70 amps which including drawing #3 wire in a 1 inch conduit for 100 feet (with two bends).

I would be hard pressed to charge an electric car from the 15 amp service to my parking spot--but I hope to be able to afford to do so some day.
Good morning Piano Tuna. You won't have any problem charging an electric vehicle with a 15 amp 120 volt. It just goes sloooow. So in other words when you get home you plug it in. Depending on the size of the battery you may have a full charge in the morning or not. If you just do normal commuting you won't have any problem with just your 120 volt plug. If you need a charge faster for an unexpected trip you can either pop into a fast charger. If there is none available there will be a level 2 charge point available somewhere at a mall or restaurant or city hall or library etc that although will not be a DC fast charge experience it will be at least 6 times faster than your home plug. All EV's come with a 120 EVSE for that reason. SO you can charge at home.

Here is a picture of two EVSE's. The one on the left is 120 volts and selectable for 8 or 12 amps. We used it for the first year we had an EV. We bought the 240 volt 10 KW unit on the right when we got our second EV. Its also user selectable via software.