cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas for carrying/securing open framed generator

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new Champion 4000W generator yesterday and am looking for ideas of how to transport and secure from theft on my Gulf Stream 21 foot TT. I like the idea of having it on the trailer tonuge and saw that Camping World has a carrier that fits over the gas bottles.

Are there any other options I'm missing? I'd like to see photos of your set ups.
102 REPLIES 102

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN.

This thread is nearly 2.5 years old.

A plastic yard tool box is a bit bulky to pack around in the back of my truck and use as a generator shelter / noise blocker
Bob

Hel_Stone
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I will be happy if my information helps. This https://enjoythewild.com/portable-generator-enclosure-generator-baffle-box/ is a very detailed article on building durable portable generator enclosure or a generator baffle box. You know it's hard to put the whole process into a couple of words, but you won't regret spending your time on reading this. Here is also another convenient tool https://essaytoolbox.com/conclusion-generator to help you.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
If someone is in a campground with a generator and the generator is operating within the noise limit rules dictated by the campground, then someone else shouldn't be "pissed off". If the noise limits are not strict enough for you, find a campground with noise limits more to your liking.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
These forums remind me of the truth in this quotation:

"Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you."

I am learning this the hard way.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
That among other things is one of the reasons I would not return to California, even if someone gave me free room and board. Cannot purchase pennyroyal oil. The safest, most effective insect repellent on earth I MAY DRINK IT AND INDUCE AN ABORTION.

Awww ..... come-on, David. Don't be so fast to lump us all who live in The Other California in with those who live in The Current California.

Maybe your Wartmart is different than my Wartmart, but mine can ship all kinds of good old stuff into The Other California. For example, I get the original and superb Fantastik shipped to my door up here in the woods by the gallon .... good luck trying to find it in The Current California stores.

Here's how and where to get your very own bottle of pennyroyal oil delivered via car/truck/drone to your front or back door(s):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennyroyal-Oil-Now-Foods-1-oz-EssOil/49551953

Now start enjoying a Bug-free and DEET-free life where you are or whenever you visit either California. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Me too. Name calling, as in "Liar" and "Troll" shows more about him than about me. Bye.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
POR FAVOR

GIVE IT A BREAK WILL YA?

This is like listening to the neighbors argue, their window is parked three feet from your window. I would like to not have this thread beheaded.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
No, you snip quotes so that you can more easily ignore the parts that contradict your rants and pretend that they don't exist. It's easy to take a single sentence out of context and seemingly debunk it rather than address the entire, full sentiment.

Let's see...
You've accused me of saying that Champion generators are loud...that's a lie.
You've accused me of saying that Champion owners are jerks...that's a lie.
You've accused me of saying that they are trying to piss others off...that's a lie.
You've accused me of saying that running a loud generator in a NASCAR campground is wrong...that's a lie.
You've accused me of saying that running a loud generator 1/2 mile from anyone else is wrong...that's a lie.

With all of those lies, it's a pretty safe bet that that you also lie about never bothering anyone with your loud generator.

You're a troll, nothing more. Even the OP is likely tired of your rants.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait to you get tinnitus .... if you can get used to it's white noise then you can sleep with generators running around you.

I'll bet that if the Sound Police aren't merely wound-up-tighter-than-a-tick suburbia/city folks ... then they must be young(er) folks.

I get all the quietness I need where I live and I have tinnitus ... so noise when on vacation out camping never causes me to think about joining the Noise Police Patrol. I'm not a Joiner anyway.

:B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I snip quotations is to simplify the process. I can repeat the same old same old, over and over it that is how you get your kicks. Now, you have decided that I am a violator of the sound police led by you. Put your money where your mouth is. I will bet you any amount that you cannot find one person anywhere who has even heard my generator running. Yes, I would run it in a general park outage and I am sure my neighbors would appreciate me sharing it to keep their batteries charged and refrigerators cool.

As far as splitting hairs, I am not the one who throws out unsubstantiated accusations and statistics. In fact, I don't know why you are wasting hundreds of words agreeing with me? Irritating behavior is irritating behavior, in the campground or on these forums. I guess the difference is that I give people and machines the benefit of the doubt instead of guaranteeing something bad will happen 100% of the time.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
OK, the statement is 95% true. Better? How about "IF he uses it in a campground near other people, he will be pissing people off.

People who throw out bogus statistics are sometimes called out on it. Sorry, but "If the shoe fits".

Apparently you have never been to a campground at a Nascar race? His 3500 watt Champion would not even be heard by his neighbors. Ever been on BLM land out West parked a half mile from the nearest camper? It is easy to complain about a brand instead of the people who go out of their way to irritate. I have heard diesel pickups clattering and banging while their owners warm them up. I do not dislike all diesel pickups because of that. I blame inconsiderate owners of any noisy device and there is no proof that the OP or I ever acted that way.

When a relatively new company, in this case Champion, comes along with a competitive product, great customer support, and at a lower price, the old guard does everything they can to discredit them. It even happened back in horse and buggy days. It has nothing to do with the word "IF" or "100%"
Wow, you just can't get past the numbers, can you. How about "mostly" rather than any specific number? Yes, I have camped infield for NASCAR and I in fact said that NASCAR would be a non-issue, or are you conveniently ignoring that? Yes, I have camped on BLM land nowhere near others, which I also said is a non-issue. You also conveniently ignored that. And once again you claim that I am complaining about a brand, when I have made it clear that is not the case; in fact not one single time have I pointed at any specific brand as being bad or good. You conveniently ignore a heckuva lot, don't you? Do you even bother to read what I post? Evidently not. If you are going to quote me, quote me in full, so that others can more easily see that you ignore most of what is written and in fact contradict it.

Running a loud generator near others when it is not appropriate is wrong. Period. You can split hairs all you want and try to make me out to be the bad guy, when THAT statement IS 100% true. But I'm sure you will come up with some way of arguing even that point, because that is obviously your only goal here. And at this point, I highly doubt your claim that you never bother anyone with your loud generator. Sorry, I don't buy that anymore. I'm pretty sure that people around you have in fact complained or been annoyed by your generator, but that's "their" problem, not yours, right? Cause they're just "Champion haters", right?

I'm done. Go have a nice day.:R
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
12 VOLT ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW

Had a group of knothead quiche-eaters walk by my Jeep camp and one of them swiveled his backpack, pointed at the device and said "PLEASE DON'T RUN THAT THING!"

There was a deadfall of thousands of cords of felled firs a quarter of a mile away.

There have been social hall-monitors for as long as I have been alive. They do not think. They assume. Ask questions? Surely you jest. And their biased prejudice covers every aspect of life. They impress their opinion on everyone and Oooooooo it's energy efficient - they do not think before engaging vocal cords or fingers.

This misguided attitude has increased in the last forty years. We have legions and they are organized politically who assume other people do not and can not think - assume responsibility for their own actions. Nope. Blanketing mandates must smother the society.

That among other things is one of the reasons I would not return to California, even if someone gave me free room and board. Cannot purchase pennyroyal oil. The safest, most effective insect repellent on earth I MAY DRINK IT AND INDUCE AN ABORTION.

I go WAY out of my way to antagonize social Hall Monitors.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
OK, the statement is 95% true. Better? How about "IF he uses it in a campground near other people, he will be pissing people off.

People who throw out bogus statistics are sometimes called out on it. Sorry, but "If the shoe fits".

Apparently you have never been to a campground at a Nascar race? His 3500 watt Champion would not even be heard by his neighbors. Ever been on BLM land out West parked a half mile from the nearest camper? It is easy to complain about a brand instead of the people who go out of their way to irritate. I have heard diesel pickups clattering and banging while their owners warm them up. I do not dislike all diesel pickups because of that. I blame inconsiderate owners of any noisy device and there is no proof that the OP or I ever acted that way.

When a relatively new company, in this case Champion, comes along with a competitive product, great customer support, and at a lower price, the old guard does everything they can to discredit them. It even happened back in horse and buggy days. It has nothing to do with the word "IF" or "100%"

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
According to 4X4van: "My statement that "IF he uses it in a campground, he will be pissing people off" is 100% true. Reread that and notice the word "IF."

It is NOT 100% true. There are campgrounds aplenty with the spacing where one could run a chain saw and nobody would hear it. Figures don't lie................. REREAD it and notice the 100% pissed off guarantee. Few things are 100% except maybe the folks who prefer what they own over what the other fellow has.

I know how to read and what "IF" means. It is a way to CYA when making 100% statements.
Wow, really? OK, the statement is 95% true. Better? How about "IF he uses it in a campground near other people, he will be pissing people off. Or maybe "IF he uses it in a typical campground, he will be pissing people off. Do either of those allow you to sleep better at night? Geez. The reality is that loud generators DO annoy and piss off people when they are used nearby, unless it is a venue where they are expected (NASCAR, tailgating, etc.). No one here complaining about that is making it up, nor are they "Champion" haters, nor are they just jumping on some imaginary bandwagon; rather, they have had to endure the annoyance firsthand.

I agree that loud generators (of any brand) are not a problem when used far enough away from others that they don't affect them. They ARE a problem if used otherwise. I have nothing against Champion generators, nor their owners. I DO have something against loud generator owners (of any brand) that don't care about how their noise affects nearby campers.

I must have really ticked you off somehow that you can't even acknowledge that you agree with most of what I have said. Instead, you'd rather nitpit the meaning of "if" and "100%". Fine, you're right and I'm wrong; there is no difference between a loud open frame generator and a quieter inverter generator, nor should there be any qualms or restrictions about using either in any situation. Happy?

Zieman Jetski Trailer