cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing hubs on EZ-Lube for the first time.......

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Has anyone installed a "dry" set of hubs on an EZ-lube axle? And when I say dry, I don't mean with dry bearings. I mean a hub that has freshly greased bearings, new seal, properly tightened with a cotter pin. Since I'm not certain about every aspect of these, I'm not sure about what the hub should be like on the way in. Should I pack the void in the center of the hub with grease? Does it need to be full so when the grease is pumped in from the front of the axle it pushes the grease to the outer bearing? What I've seen online so far isn't real helpful. I'm installing new EZ-lubes axles on my daughters horse trailer. Thinking I need a pile of grease.

Thanks
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
21 REPLIES 21

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
ScottG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
ScottG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Since your doing it right and packing them by hand,

So........... everyone who uses the EZ lube feature is doing it "wrong"?

Got it!
Possibly not so much "wrong" as "unnecessary".

So your arguing that doing them by hand is doing them wrong?
I'm sorry, did I say that? I'm pretty sure I said that the EZ Lube feature, which is adding grease via the zerk in the hub, is possibly "unnecessary"

You may read into this anything you wish, but please don't put words in my mouth.

Exactly, you don't like it so don't put words in my mouth either.
I have the EZ Lube axles on my triple axle toyhauler, and have used it in the past, so obviously you've totally misread my position. After much consideration, I now question the actual usefulness and necessity of it. That's my thoughts on it.

Totally agree. Even assuming it never blows past the seals and gets on the brakes, there just isn't any need to keep pumping more grease through the bearings after they've been properly packed.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
ScottG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Got it!

I'm sorry, did I say that? I'm pretty sure I said that the EZ Lube feature, which is adding grease via the zerk in the hub, is possibly "unnecessary"

You may read into this anything you wish, but please don't put words in my mouth.

I have the EZ Lube axles on my triple axle toyhauler, and have used it in the past, so obviously you've totally misread my position. After much consideration, I now question the actual usefulness and necessity of it. That's my thoughts on it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
ScottG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Got it!

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
The EZ Lubes were really designed for boat trailers to give a pump or two to rid any water seepage but they have matriculated into rv's etc.

Hope it helps Happy Trails
I think you are confusing EZ Lube axles with Bearing Buddys.

Bearing Buddy

An EZ Lube has a zerk threaded into the axle. The grease is forced through a channel in the axle to the back of the hub where it comes back through the bearings and out through the front. A Bearing Buddy is a basically dust cap with a zerk in the center. It has a spring loaded mechanism on the inside to keep pressure on the grease which keeps water and air out. The grease has to be topped off occasionally.

One does not have to use the EZ Lube feature if they would rather do bearing maintenance by hand.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mortimer Brewster wrote:

Modern day greases make temp issues and churning close to non-existent??? Where did you get that info? PLEASE VERIFY! I read recently that people can write down anything they want, so be sure to provide reliable sources for such a sweeping statement. Meanwhile, I’ll be out flag shopping. 🙂

You obviously chose to leave out the critical caveat in my statements of "AFAIK" which means what I said is what I understand and is not a fixed statement of fact.

Additionally AFAIK the introduction of grease formulations such as "MOLY" fortified greases have assisted in controlling not only high temp and churning, but moisture issues. While not proof positive the wide spread use of bearing buddies suggest that temp issues and grease churning is not a major concern in the application that we are talking about here which is wheel bearings which is a fairly "LOW SPEED" bearing IMO.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Got it!

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Got it!

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Timken recommends the hub half full, they caution against filling it all the way because it will run hotter.

You would have to show me some verifiable reference for that since IMO only filling the hub half full makes ZERO SENSE and would be COMPLETELY USELESS for the EZ lube type system to work.

My BS FLAG is at full staff and at attention.

Larry

"NOTE: You should allow enough space in the housing for heat dissipation so excess grease throws clear from
the bearing. Contain the grease around the bearing. The housing should normally be 1/3 to 1/2 full of grease
during bearing assembly. Too much grease in the housing may cause high temperatures and excess churning of
the grease."

I'd say your BS flag is suffering from erectile dysfunction....:R

Note I SAID VERIFIABLE and your post is far from that since anyone can write down anything they want.

Try Again and make sure any reference is about easy lube bearings and the info you posted flies directly in the face of something like bearing buddies which sure does not have any "dead space" in the hub.

BS FLAG STILL FLYING STRAIGHT AND BOLD!!!:p

BTW AFAIK temp issues and things like churning might have been a concerned 20 or 30 years ago, but modern day greases make those issue close to non existant now.

Larry

Modern day greases make temp issues and churning close to non-existent??? Where did you get that info? PLEASE VERIFY! I read recently that people can write down anything they want, so be sure to provide reliable sources for such a sweeping statement. Meanwhile, I’ll be out flag shopping. 🙂
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Got it!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Timken recommends the hub half full, they caution against filling it all the way because it will run hotter.

You would have to show me some verifiable reference for that since IMO only filling the hub half full makes ZERO SENSE and would be COMPLETELY USELESS for the EZ lube type system to work.

Larry

"NOTE: You should allow enough space in the housing for heat dissipation so excess grease throws clear from
the bearing. Contain the grease around the bearing. The housing should normally be 1/3 to 1/2 full of grease
during bearing assembly. Too much grease in the housing may cause high temperatures and excess churning of
the grease."

Note I SAID VERIFIABLE and your post is far from that since anyone can write down anything they want.

Try Again and make sure any reference is about easy lube bearings and the info you posted flies directly in the face of something like bearing buddies which sure does not have any "dead space" in the hub.

BS FLAG STILL FLYING STRAIGHT AND BOLD!!!:p

BTW AFAIK temp issues and things like churning might have been a concerned 20 or 30 years ago, but modern day greases make those issue close to non existant now.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
LarryJM wrote:
Learjet wrote:

Larry

the grease."

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
Learjet wrote:

Larry

Here are some endorsed instructions on bearing packing from TImken.
Packing a Tapered Roller Bearing With Grease
This note is from the first page:
NOTE: You should allow enough space in the housing for heat dissipation so excess grease throws clear from the bearing. Contain the grease around the bearing. The housing should normally be 1/3 to 1/2 full of grease during bearing assembly. Too much grease in the housing may cause high temperatures and excess churning of the grease.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't use them because it's too easy to blow out the hub seal from over greasing. Just my view on them.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:

Larry