cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter/12volt-24 volt question

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,I have a tundra 24 inverter that I took out of my Freighter semi and am installing in my tt.
I am taking out 2 6volt batteries and repacing them with 2 12volt bateries.
Question-how does this affect my 12 volt system?
Will the 12 volt lights, fantastic fan etc. be affected?.
2001 Suburban,8.1L engine, 4.10 rear end
2003 Holiday Rambler Presidental 32'
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler
14 REPLIES 14

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
I just got off the phone with Tundra. They are telling me that they repurposed the E series 2000w and now it is a M series. Both 12 volts.
I will have to wait until This weekend to get TT out of storage to see where the problem is. Its been a while but I seem to recall that it was throwing a faulty ground code.
thanks for your help.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some (most?) semi trucks are 24 volts. Until we know what voltage the inverter is......we are out of luck.

If it is the E2000 it is a modified sine way unit and is 12 volt input.

https://www.bobscb.com/PDGManuals/E_Truck_Specs_en.pdf

Owner's manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Tundra-E-2000-3354570.html
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
DIVE2XS wrote:
It looks like the M2000 on that website, however on my inverter it says E2000. The plug ins on the back are vertical instead of horizontal.
If it makes any difference I bought it in 2013.
I have pictures on my phone, I just don't know how to upload them to the forum.

This one? But it is a 12v. OP says "tundra 24" so we all thought it was 24v. what is it?

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/2000W-INVERTER-COMPACT-12VDC/p/TUNE2000
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the M2000 on that website, however on my inverter it says E2000. The plug ins on the back are vertical instead of horizontal.
If it makes any difference I bought it in 2013.
I have pictures on my phone, I just don't know how to upload them to the forum.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can you identify the tundra 24 you have from this web page?

https://www.tundrainverters.com/en/all-products/

What I'm seeking to know is if a 24 volt input or not?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DIVE2XS wrote:
My friend did all the wiring and set up for this system. He did so using the 2-6 volt Trojan batteries and it didn't work.
No. It's tough to get 24v from 2 6v batteries...if that's what you mean.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
DIVE2XS wrote:
Thanks for your responses. My original intent was to utilize what I already have to both keep the cost down and investigate a design a system for a future RV.
The Tundra is a 2000 watt inverter. Not sure but I think it is a modified wave.
My friend did all the wiring and set up for this system. He did so using the 2-6 volt Trojan batteries and it didn't work. I replaced all the electrical outlets on the 20 amp circuit thinking that I had a short. Didn't work.
I installed switches to isolate the inverter from the shore power.
You most likely saw in my signature the I have a 100 watt solar on my rig. I don't think that I used it maybe more than a few times. It doesn't put out enough energy with the 2 50 watt panels.
I would like to learn more on what I can do with my 2 6 volt batteries even if I have to get another inverter.
For the time being, I don't need the solar. I would like to be able to run 2 CPAP machines at night. I want to run the refrigerator while driving instead of using the propane. Most likely I could charge the batteries while driving from place to place.
Is a 2000 watt inverter large enough to run that 20 amp circuit?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Well, youโ€™d have to do somewhat of a redesign just to be able to utilize the 24v inverter, so if it were me Iโ€™d simply stick with the two 6v batteries (in series to arrive at 12v) and get a decent pure sine wave inverterโ€ฆA 2000w inverter could provide approximately 16 or so amps, so if wired into an existing circuit youโ€™d want to avoid exceeding that amount (e.g. by avoiding simultaneous multiple large appliancesโ€ฆ). I doubt your CPAC approaches that amount, but your refer may well (??)โ€ฆOne other thing to remember with 12v dc is to make sure your inverter cables are sized correctly for the particular load (AWG Gauge and round trip to inverter cable lengths) - this should not be assumed or overlookedโ€ฆ

3 tons

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. My original intent was to utilize what I already have to both keep the cost down and investigate a design a system for a future RV.
The Tundra is a 2000 watt inverter. Not sure but I think it is a modified wave.
My friend did all the wiring and set up for this system. He did so using the 2-6 volt Trojan batteries and it didn't work. I replaced all the electrical outlets on the 20 amp circuit thinking that I had a short. Didn't work.
I installed switches to isolate the inverter from the shore power.
You most likely saw in my signature the I have a 100 watt solar on my rig. I don't think that I used it maybe more than a few times. It doesn't put out enough energy with the 2 50 watt panels.
I would like to learn more on what I can do with my 2 6 volt batteries even if I have to get another inverter.
For the time being, I don't need the solar. I would like to be able to run 2 CPAP machines at night. I want to run the refrigerator while driving instead of using the propane. Most likely I could charge the batteries while driving from place to place.
Is a 2000 watt inverter large enough to run that 20 amp circuit?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
DIVE2XS wrote:
Hi,I have a tundra 24 inverter that I took out of my Freighter semi

If the tundra is modified sine wave, this is not worth the effort.

How many watts is the Tundra?

The battery bank will need some method of charging. Choices are solar, stand alone battery charger, 24 volt converter, or dc 12 to DC 24 device.

By the time all the necessary equipment is added, it may not be worth will using the Tundra.
Regards, Don

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Unless youโ€™re operating an electric motor (i.e. a reactive type load), Iโ€™m not seeing enough of a practical advantage - JMOโ€ฆ

3 tons

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DIVE2XS wrote:
Hi,I have a tundra 24 inverter that I took out of my Freighter semi and am installing in my tt.
I am taking out 2 6volt batteries and repacing them with 2 12volt bateries.

The 2 12V batteries will not have much more run time than your current 2 6V batteries. Depending on your load, 4 6V batteries would be better and I will get they would live longer !

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your battery charging system ( converter and solar) will be for 12v. You would have to do each 12v battery one at a time with the converter. The PWM solar controller might be one of those that can do 24-24 or 12-12.

An MPPT controller has a buck converter so it can be used as the DC-DC with 24v input and put out 12v but has amps limits depending on its amps rating.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Properly connected (two sixes are wired differently than two twelves at the batteries) there will be no difference with any 12 volt appliances.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you'll need a DC-DC converter to get back to 12v. Victron makes good ones. And you'll need a 24v charger to do it right. PM me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman