cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter review

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just as MEX and his 5000w inverter review started to get interesting the thread seems to have disappeared.

I found the linked review interesting as he seems to strongly dislikes AIMS inverters for poor workmanship.
https://www.youtube.com skip to 10:30 for 'rip on AIMS'

Of course the MEX 5000w inverter was low quality as expected for the price and the rating was closer to 2000 watts max.

I found interesting that he really likes the GoPower inverter that I brag on so much.
https://www.youtube.com/ GoPower 2000w

Please add more reviews of your favorite inverter.
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Cotek 48v 4kw is fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
The Xantrex terminals are pretty close

(Image from the net)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
One of his complaints on the GoPower 3000W was the close spacing of the input terminals (not sure how close the spacing is on other GoPower models). In a different video, I noticed that the 3000W model had shields for both the positive and negative terminals. So if you bolt one cable down, install the shield and then bolt the other cable down and install its shield, there should be no concern about shorting the battery cables. Plus, I certainly hope you have an inline fuse !
Yes the GoPower terminals could be better. With or without this issue, I will always recommend removing the cables from the power source before you play with the inverter terminals.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

I had one. Within one month it could barely power anything. When I returned it for a refund the money never arrived.

I did a report here called a tale of two inverters

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I howled when I accessed the "review" of the Great Wall 5000 on youtube. The maroon was complaining about a dirty used inverter. A modified used imverter. "Ooooo lookie a bulged capacitor!" Un named "name brand" capacitors. No mention of origin of field effect transistors. Maybe someone tried to jump start an Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe locomotive before the "reviewer" got his mitts on it. Loved the waste of time. Not even a power screwdriver. Yup it's a crummy hyper-hyped denizen. Not for the faint of heart. But to a techhie this is purr challenge. A real inverter in the 2K class with charger ain't cheap McGee. And BTW my revised CheapOwatts, BORG and Gigawatt are working their little butts off.

Of course this thing is not for everyone. Strike that. It's not for hardly anyone. Wanna bet for 500 bucks I end up with a snot nosed morphadite that would hold it's own against a 1500 inverter. Now strike THAT. Will be tougher than a 1500 dollar inverter?

A $299 chew toy for Mex. MAYBE. I need tires and operations and move my rear 500 miles in 60 days. Bit can't wait to start pitching gahr-bage over my shoulder. Forget the babes. Five'll getcha twenty they are trophies in some Tong.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
My house is powered by a 3kw Aims MSW inverter that has run 24/7/365 for the last several years with no problems. Runs everything in the house and shop from washing machines to wire welder. I suspect it is made by some huge Chinese electronics manufacturer and Aims just sticks their name on it. One thing I really like about it is it doesn't shut down at 15V like my other inverters did. Keeps running to 16+ volts.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I howled when I accessed the "review" of the Great Wall 5000 on youtube. The maroon was complaining about a dirty used inverter. A modified used imverter. "Ooooo lookie a bulged capacitor!" Un named "name brand" capacitors. No mention of origin of field effect transistors. Maybe someone tried to jump start an Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe locomotive before the "reviewer" got his mitts on it. Loved the waste of time. Not even a power screwdriver. Yup it's a crummy hyper-hyped denizen. Not for the faint of heart. But to a techhie this is purr challenge. A real inverter in the 2K class with charger ain't cheap McGee. And BTW my revised CheapOwatts, BORG and Gigawatt are working their little butts off.

Of course this thing is not for everyone. Strike that. It's not for hardly anyone. Wanna bet for 500 bucks I end up with a snot nosed morphadite that would hold it's own against a 1500 inverter. Now strike THAT. Will be tougher than a 1500 dollar inverter?

A $299 chew toy for Mex. MAYBE. I need tires and operations and move my rear 500 miles in 60 days. Bit can't wait to start pitching gahr-bage over my shoulder. Forget the babes. Five'll getcha twenty they are trophies in some Tong.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

I found interesting that he really likes the GoPower inverter that I brag on so much.
https://www.youtube.com/ GoPower 2000w

knurlgnar24 has the best TECHNICAL review on inveters in all of YouTube land. Sadly, it looks like he has given up on this endeavor a couple of years ago.

One of his complaints on the GoPower 3000W was the close spacing of the input terminals (not sure how close the spacing is on other GoPower models). In a different video, I noticed that the 3000W model had shields for both the positive and negative terminals. So if you bolt one cable down, install the shield and then bolt the other cable down and install its shield, there should be no concern about shorting the battery cables. Plus, I certainly hope you have an inline fuse !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice find!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
well
my tripp-lite 1250 powerverter, has been running almost non stop for 6.5 yrs

it has only been off, during battery swap, rewire, or the RV was in the shop (engine work)

runs the fridge full time, the MW for a few minutes everyday (early morning and late night), sometimes makes a pot of coffee etc..

i have used it to power a circular saw, cut fire wood with electric chain saw, even power the vector battery charger to jump start somebody i could not get close enough to use jumper cables (facing wrong way in a parking spot)
extension cable from inverter to the vector with 90amp boost start
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s