cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter use.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last winter boondocking and having only a 400 watt inverter that attaches to battery posts with clamps. A couple times wanting to watch tv and not run yamaha gen, I just ran an extension cord from inverter in through a window and plugged the tv in.
That worked fine.
Would it work to make up an extension cord with male ends at both ends and just plug the one end into an outside plug thus powering up the trailer.
Would this impact the trailers converter in any way?

Da wife wanting to run her sewing machine I also plugged it into this 400 watt inverter. It would work but it buzzed or whined.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
30 REPLIES 30

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s not on the same Circuit.
Happened once one other time 3 years ago.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is the fan on the GFCI circuit? And this never happened on utility power?

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I choose the 1000 Samlex from a local dealer. I mounted the remote switch inside basement right beside battery cut off switch. Within inches of the power bar where Ipluged in the converter.
Stepped into trailer to test. Tv on disc player on.
Turned on ceiling blade fan. Then stepped out to check the display on remote switch. I expected that since the fan was running I’d expected to see the output indicator on the display would be higher. So I’m happy.
However when I stepped back into trailer the moment I shut off the fan the GFI switch in the bath snapped. ??

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
does a sewing machine need pure sine wave?

It would depend on the sewing machine, I think. Probably most modern ones would as I think they'd use a phase control circuit for the motor speed control (similar to that in an AC electric drill or dimmer switch).

My old Riccar would probably operate fine, though perhaps more noisily, with an MSW inverter as its speed control appears to be just a variable resistor. The nameplate on it also suggests that it would work from a 115V DC circuit. I don't know that I will ever encounter a 115V DC power line in my life, but if I do and have to throw together some curtains or something, I'll be in luck.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
If any product has digital controls or a motor I highly recommend sine wave.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
An older electric model with purely mechanical stitch selectors and an analog foot control (gas pedal) would be OK on a MSW inverter. One of the new fangled electromagical machines, probably not.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:

A friend's fancier one sure does. Won't run on MSW. Don't know about other ones.

A Singer treadmill one is the way to go with an RV. 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
Recommended brand?

Samlex Pure Sine Wave Inverters seem to have a very good reputation.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
ivbinconned wrote:
I suggested I would find her an old treadle sewing machine. She wasn’t impressed.
Searching the Internet 1000 pure inverters range from $450 to $1500. Can there be that by a difference in quality?

I have and recommend GoPower sine wave.

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/go-power-gp-sw1000-12-inverter
$425

But you can go as low as $149 or I see $750 a Xantrex that I do not recommend (my 1800w burned up way too early).
https://www.donrowe.com/Inverters-1000-to-1800-Pure-Sine-Wave-s/1951.htm

Keep shopping.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggested I would find her an old treadle sewing machine. She wasn’t impressed.
Searching the Internet 1000 pure inverters range from $450 to $1500. Can there be that by a difference in quality?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 400w inverter is nothing really. Can't imagine what happens to it when she stomps on the sewing machine pedal & starts up while you have the TV & whatever else is on.

Get yourself a minimum 1000w PURE sine wave inverter & do as suggested, connect to breaker panel & make sure things like converter, fridge, water heater & microwave are OFF.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:

Would it work to make up an extension cord with male ends at both ends and just plug the one end into an outside plug thus powering up the trailer.
Would this impact the trailers converter in any way?

There is a very very very good reason why they call such a cord a SUICIDE CORD.. and that is why I'm telling you don't do it.

There are many ways to get into the RV from outside. one is very likely the power cord portal( If you have an attached cord) and Id just route an extension cord in via one of them and to the TV when you wish to watch on inverter.

OR you can come into the wet bay and up into the RV's service "Tunnel" alogside the water lines.

Or if all else fails. DRILL A HOLE.

But do not build a Suicide cord.. Unless you want to suicide.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
I have a 2000w > 4000 psw inverter
I installed the inverter In a storage bay close to the converter and batteries,
Ran new 20amp 12ga cord, to bay with the shore cord, and plug into the shore cord with an adapter, I have whole house power in the RV, just turn off the converter breaker, which is a dedicated circuit in this RV, but I limit my MW run time, 2 minutes for a cup of hot water or warm up coffee, 20 seconds for some precooked mw bacon
Anything longer than 4 minutes I use the generator
10 minutes for the coffee maker uses a lot of power, and means more generator runtime when charging batteries, 10 minutes for the mw is a terrible idea
Since I retired some years back, I don't believe in 5 am wake up
I don't need to silently make a pot of coffee at 5am
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s