cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter ?

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
1. When i stop for the day does the inverter automatically start working -Provided of course I am not hooked up to shore power?

2. Does the inverter run power to all electrical plugs like tv's lights, etc or are there designated electrical plugs that only the inverter sends power to?

thanks in advance,

Jim
17 REPLIES 17

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the key issue is NOT letting your house batteries get below 12 to 12.1 volts.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't understand.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
That's a fine charger, but doesn't invert which turns DC into AC, the opposite of a converter that turns AC into DC.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
i have a PD9260C – 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's gone.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
jimbo4UT wrote:
1. When i stop for the day does the inverter automatically start working -Provided of course I am not hooked up to shore power?

2. Does the inverter run power to all electrical plugs like tv's lights, etc or are there designated electrical plugs that only the inverter sends power to?

thanks in advance,

Jim

What type of rig do you own?
Every setup is different. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
While I do not know about your inverter as someone said they all have an ON/OFF switch. Mine stays on all the time (or nearly so)

It is also a UPS should shore power fail

All outlets. again the answer varies rig to rig. Mine no
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
All inverters have a power switch. You can leave it on or off. None turn on automatic. Best to post the inverter model number for best answers.

Inverter will power only what is connected. You will need to check your RV for what works.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,

You will need to supply us with more information about what RV you have and what inverter or inverter/charger you have.

Unless you do, we will only be able to tell you how OUR RV is wired.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure how we would know. Have you plugged a few things in to see what happens? Coming back?

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
No way to know the answer.
need more info...

Inverters are usually turned on manually. Keeping them on all the time still uses electricity even if nothing is using the inverter for power, inverter draws power just being on, so keep it off until needed.

The way to know if it comes on automatically is to do a test. If it comes on then it is auto, if it needs to be turned on then it is manual. It is just that simple.

The following is assuuming yo have some soleniod switches, not a box that does it all electronically:

Automatic switches are typical for letting the "camper" choose to use generator power or to use household/shore power. Typically the default setting is for the electricity (120 household current, not 12v DC) to choose the generator setting, but when plugged into power the "switch" will choose shoreline power. Only one can be chosen and the reason is so that the generator does not get fed voltage when the camper is plugged into shoreline power (which would burn it up).

There is no reason an auto switch cannot be used to select inverter over another source of power. Any two sources of 120 household current can be wired into the selector switch and the switch will "prefer" one over the other depending which is connected to the "preferred" location.

To do 3 power sources you would have a switch that selects shoreline or generator, then you would have a switch that selects generator or inverter. The first switch would prefer shoreline power (or maybe prefer generator), and the 2nd switch would prefer generator (or shoreline). So if no shoreline power but there was generator power then it would switch to the generator side, but if the generator goes off (and the inverter is on) that 2nd switch would switch to the inverter.
If inverter is turned off then the switch would go back to the generator setting even if gen is off, and the 1st switch would go back to shoreline even if there is no shoreline power - those are the default settings.

Also, the inverter would need to be isolated from the AC unit and the refrigerator 120v circuit. Possible to keep the fridge on 120, but most likely you would want to save the batteries and use propane for the fridge as the fridge would kill batts pretty quick. Better to use 12v DC if you have to run the fridge off batteries, but that is just slightly better, it will still kill batteries... So the AC circuit will need to be on the shoreline/generator side of the switch in order to isolate it from the inverter. I'd have to ponder how to wire this for auto switches...
I had a camper set up to use all 3 voltage sources, but it was all manual. The circuit breaker was paired up to only have generator on while shore was off or it would turn gen off if shore was on. The inverter was on a switch that the outlets went through, but not the AC or fridge...

Unlikely you have such an elaborate system, but keep that in mind when looking your system over.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is always on unless I turn it off. It is also a "pass through" inverter. On shore power 120 volts AC passes through the inverter to several outlets. When shore power or the generator is turned off the inverter takes over until the batteries give out.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:

You have an inverter in your TT? What do you power wirh it?

Everything, mine is wired for "whole house". Most of my camping is off grid, and the inverter keeps everything up and running while minimizing generator use.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
My inverter kicks in as soon as I disconnect from shore power, and switches to charging when I hook up again.

Hard to say what your setup is, automatic or manual.

As far as what plugs are connected, no way to tell from here. Maybe ask the previous owner, or hire an electrician.

You have an inverter in your TT? What do you power wirh it?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.