cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming that I have the battery power would a 3,000 watt inverter run a rooftop 13,500 air for an hour or so ? I now have 4 six volts hooked up as 12 volts . I would only need air for an hour or so each day . Nothing else on batteries except normal pumps and lites .
21 REPLIES 21

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
MNRon wrote:
As others have said, better to run heavy continuous loads like AC from a generator than from 12v through an inverter.
24v or higher would be better, but still, it's a heck of a wallop on batteries.

Considered mentioning rewiring for 24V or even 48V, but once again adds considerable complexity, cost and incompatibilities requiring DC-DC converters and higher voltage charging systems that makes using a suitably sized generator a cake walk in the park and far less cost.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the temperature 90 minutes of AC not going to do much other than sap your batteries.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Assuming that I have the battery power would a 3,000 watt inverter run a rooftop 13,500 air for an hour or so ?

Do you have a 30A or 50A system?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:
As others have said, better to run heavy continuous loads like AC from a generator than from 12v through an inverter.
24v or higher would be better, but still, it's a heck of a wallop on batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, better to run heavy continuous loads like AC from a generator than from 12v through an inverter. 12v LA batteries which measure 12.7v fully charged will probably droop below 12.0v at full charge when pulling >100A, and be closer to 11.0v with that load when 50% SOC. Not to mention voltage drops and heat in the inverter. It *can* be done, but few will recommend it.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
Skibane , I have not been able to find a " split " that runs 110 volts !

They are out there..

MR COOL 12K BTU

A "cool" $1600 also :E

One problem I see with MR Cool is they come with a 25ft sealed precharged line set that plugs or screws into the units.. On A RV it would get a bit clunky rolling up excess unneeded line.

HERE is a Amazon search for mini splits that run on 110V..

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane , I have not been able to find a " split " that runs 110 volts !

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Money, time and effort spent on equipment capable of running your large, inefficient roof air conditioner might be better spent on a smaller, more efficient air conditioner instead - like a mini-split, for example.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Magnum does not recommend powering the roof air with their 3000 watt hybrid inverter.

I'd go for a generator.

My 11 year old Xantrex ProSine PSW 2.0 2000w pass-thru runs the 9.5a 11kbtu Coleman regularly without a hitch, so it can depend on the various equipmentโ€ฆItโ€™s in this particular regard that Victron has an outstanding reputationโ€ฆJMO

3 tons

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Magnum does not recommend powering the roof air with their 3000 watt hybrid inverter.

I'd go for a generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
I got the generator , I was just curious ! Thanks !

No problem!

It is a very valid question, it does come up often since a lot of folks want to skip dealing with a gen and run from battery only.

There have been folks who have done this that have made it work, but they spent a lot of time, effort and money into making it work adding considerable battery and solar capacity. On the other hand, many also have tried and failed..

If you have the time to research and lots of money to spend, one can make pretty much anything battery powered but it does come with a cost..

Big heavy loads like A/C just seem to be better suited to be more economical to be run from a gen to keep the costs down..

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, This is a bit anecdotal, but when I had my former two GCโ€™s in series, I once tested the 11kbtu, 9.5a air cond concurrent with 300w solar and was keenly surprised that it ran for 1.5hrs, (compressor cycling at about a 2/3rds duty cycle) before getting to end of test at about 55% SOCโ€ฆDifferent equipment, but just saying from experienceโ€ฆ

3 tons

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Better get a Micro-Air EasyStart !
Don't think you need one with an inverter.
wanderingbob wrote:
Assuming that I have the battery power would a 3,000 watt inverter run a rooftop 13,500 air for an hour or so

An hour?.. that may be pushing it a bit. LA batteries, especially just 4, will likely lose too much voltage over that amount of time and shut down the inverter. Plus, wires and connectors - and even the batteries - are going to get hot if not sized exactly and clean and fresh. Plus you need them to be at nearly 100% charge. I used a lot of high-wattage appliances with 4 batteries, but I found 6 to work much better. It's just a whole lotta weight.

I think an hour may be just too much.. but hey, prove me wrong!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

3000w inverter should have no issues.

Better get a Micro-Air EasyStart !