cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Isolating 12v current to trailer

marc71
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6ga wire running from the battery of my TV to a winch type quick disconnect at the rear of the truck and the corresponding connector attached to the batteries on the trailer. How do I isolate or disconnect this wire when the vehicle is shut off? Im thinking some type of solenoid? Any help on this project would be most appreciated.
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD double cab 4x4
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control
13 REPLIES 13

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Unplug the 7-pin connector?

I said that before but nobody seems to be listening.
I don't quite understand why.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
marc71 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
A mechanical heavy duty relay is what I have used in the past. Installation instructions are on the link. You can get a relay from most auto supply. Check to insure it can handle the amperage of full load winch draw amperage.
Tekonsha Battery Switch

Ordered this today from Amazon. this was my thinking from the start but thanks to everyone for the help.

That's the way to go, a continuous duty solenoid. Keep it simple.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

marc71
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
A mechanical heavy duty relay is what I have used in the past. Installation instructions are on the link. You can get a relay from most auto supply. Check to insure it can handle the amperage of full load winch draw amperage.
Tekonsha Battery Switch

Ordered this today from Amazon... this was my thinking from the start but thanks to everyone for the help.
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD double cab 4x4
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
According to my decades-long memory, ninety-eight percent of OVERLY FREQUENT problems with isolation solenoids happen in wiring and switches and NOT in the isolation solenoid.

100% of the non mechanical problems with manual switch isolation solenoids are traced to between-the-ears-of-the-operator. They forget.

IMHO choosing a switch-it-yourself solenoid is a 100% loser.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a simple relay with the 12v signal fed from the keyed side in the panel in my battery compartment. The fused wire from the coach then only powers out to the plug when running and stops it from going the other way when turned off.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
marc71 wrote:
How do I isolate or disconnect this wire when the vehicle is shut off?

Unplug it at the quick disconnect ??
Zero dollars; ten seconds or less.

Am I missing something ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Tekonsha Battery Switch

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
For $20 you can get a basic 85a relay like yhis one. Connect the trigger circuit to something that's only on when the engine is running. When you turn the engine off, the solenoid opens the charging circuit to the trailer.

The battery separator is nice, but if you have only one battery in the truck I don't know if I want to let it go down to 12.8v before it separates.

Your worried about bringing a 12 volt battery "down" to 12.8?. I suggest that you do your homework.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Other thing he can use is a LSL Toad Charge. That will do the same thing.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
For $20 you can get a basic 85a relay like yhis one. Connect the trigger circuit to something that's only on when the engine is running. When you turn the engine off, the solenoid opens the charging circuit to the trailer.

The battery separator is nice, but if you have only one battery in the truck I don't know if I want to let it go down to 12.8v before it separates.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THat one is bi-directional (Good for a motor home not needed by the O/P but the concept is good. Just you do not need Bi-Directional. one way is ok
(Since the trailer will NEVER .. then again.. Go with the BI Directional

I do (on occasion) hook muy car (not isolated) to the motor home to keerp the battery charged by means of the house converter.. Car battery is 5 years old and starting to show signs of age.. If I do not drive it at least 2x a week it shows signs of "low battery" after a week of gathering dust.

So if your truck does that, You simply plug in overnight and the Bi-Directional charger.. will charge the TRUCK battery.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchase a battery separator. Don't need a solenoid.

Battery Separator
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie