cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jerking trailer brakes

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
I need a little help diagnosing a trailer brake issue. Basically, the brakes jerk and pull erratically when I apply the brakes. I get the same issue towing with both of my trucks, and a similar readout on the display -- my Ford w/ integrated controller gives a "faulty trailer wiring" or some such message, and my after-market inertia controller on my Chevy gives on "OC" readout, which is open circuit or something like that. So I don't think it is an issue with the truck wiring or controller -- I think it is something on the trailer side of the connector. Also, all lights work just fine on the trailer. Drums were adjusted on Saturday, but the issue did not go away.

Is there a separate ground for the brakes? Any ideas where I should look for clues?

Thanks in advance!
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10
5 REPLIES 5

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine did the same for awhile, now they don't work at all. After several attempts to fix them, I gave up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If your trailer brake wiring runs inside the axle, wiring could be chafed, and shorting/grounding causing erratic braking.

Jerry

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. I had initially thought that it could not be a ground issue, as the lights work perfectly (they don't flicker or anything). I'll look for the ground for the brakes and go from there to start with.

Note -- the manual states that a faulty ground can be the cause of the "wiring fault on trailer" message, so I think that is the right place to start.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Bad grounds are a BIG problem. If you don't get a good ground thru the trailer wiring it will try & ground thru the ball hitch.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
First check the exposed wires leaving the backing plates for damage. Slide the cover back on the trailer plug and make sure the connections are clean and tight. Next go to access panel where the cord enters the trailer and do the same. A multiple ground connector fell off ours when I touched it and the wires were corroded.