Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kayak Rack - Ladder Rack

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

I am researching truck racks to haul two 9.5 foot kayaks. Are there any specifics things I should be aware of? I am looking for a no drill application and my tow vehicle is a 2015 f150 Ecoboost.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
9 REPLIES 9

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I have a system that works great for us.

We have a F150 CC.

We carry 2- 12 foot kayaks on racks and folding bikes in the bed.

We have a Thule roof rack that mounts about center of the rear door. ( Thule has a option for you to buy just one rack rather than a pair. ) We have a Yakima single bar rack that mounts about 2 feet from the rear of the truck. Both are easily removed. I take mine off when not in use. I have a toolbox and could not find rear racks that did not interfere with the toolbox. These racks are not cheap but make a rock solid rack system. I made a roller out of pvc pipe covered with foam on the rear rack so we can roll the kayaks up and down to load.

I can add a picture and look up the name of the place I found them if you are interested.

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer
We have a platform of sorts for two kayaks that is lowered onto or raised from our canopy rack. We park under them when not hauling. Never owned a truck without a canopy so don't know how we'd handle hauling kayaks that way.

Lance 15.5 2285 w/rockers Ram2500 4x4 CC 6.4 hemi 6spd w/3.71
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgradert wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Do you want to store them in the truck bed, on top off the cab, on top of the cover for the bed or on the ladder of the RV?

We usually carry 4 bikes with us that I keep in the truck bed. My thoughts were to buy a truck rack and place the kayaks on the rack. Or, purchase a Stromberg Carlson bike bunk and put the bikes on the bunk and slide the 9.5ft kayaks in the back of tow vehicle. My only concern with that set up is when I turn sharp, my fear the kayak will hit the bikes.

I would like to refrain from removing the tonneu cover as much as possible.
If that is the case I would store the kayaks on the roof of the truck if you plan to use them frequently or on top of the trailer for infrequent use like if you are planning a long trip out west. One thing I learned over the years the harder it is to remove the stuff you want to use the less your want to use it. I store my kayak on top of my tow car for local camping and use an inflatable raft for long trips like Alaska.

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Do you want to store them in the truck bed, on top off the cab, on top of the cover for the bed or on the ladder of the RV?

We usually carry 4 bikes with us that I keep in the truck bed. My thoughts were to buy a truck rack and place the kayaks on the rack. Or, purchase a Stromberg Carlson bike bunk and put the bikes on the bunk and slide the 9.5ft kayaks in the back of tow vehicle. My only concern with that set up is when I turn sharp, my fear the kayak will hit the bikes.

I would like to refrain from removing the tonneu cover as much as possible.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Trac Rac with Kayaks and also have Tonneau cover. My cover is "inside box" model that leaves the stake pockets open so I can install rack.

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tonneu cover on my truck. Be nice to have something that would fit on top of the cover.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a pair of Yakima Outdoorsman racks off Craigslist. It has 60" bars hauling one canoe but I also have a set of 78" bars if I want to double up.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with a truck cab rack, sorry.

But have been very happy with my truck cap (topper) rack.
You order the cap with built in rails then choose the racks you want.

I just got the square tube Thule cross rails, and used foam kayak blocks and rope (heavy duty, but thin, small engine pull cord rope).

Only issue is you need a stool or small ladder to access it all.

Good Luck.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow