cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Step Auto Deploys After Long Drive

rvindave
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen posts regarding steps that won't deploy; I have the opposite problem. After a long drive (more than an hour), when I come to a stop light, the motor home is still in Drive, my Kwikee auto step tries to extend but immediately retracts. If it's been a particularly long haul, it will do it multiple times.

Campingworld couldn't figure out what was wrong, though charged me $129 anyway.

My theory: Kwikee manual says that steps may operate erratically if the coach batteries are not fully charged. Note that the way my RV is wired, the coach batteries are not recharged by the engine alternator (not sure why, all my other rigs were wired differently).

I'm thinking while I'm driving, I have a draw on the coach batteries...fridge & my GPS perhaps?

Curious if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing with auto steps?
16 REPLIES 16

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rvindave wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the recall. Though I don't have a Winnie, I am going to call Phoenix Cruiser and see if others have reported this issue on their rigs.

You do not understand. The recall has NOTHING to do with the Steps. It has to do with how Winne installed the Magnetic door switch wrong. Doug

rvindave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the recall. Though I don't have a Winnie, I am going to call Phoenix Cruiser and see if others have reported this issue on their rigs.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
This may shed some light on recall.
Step recall

The door MAGNETIC switch can come loose and lose contac and the step will extend. Winne dealers will be installing a lockwasher/nut on the door switch to prevent it from coming loose, Per Winne today. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
rvindave wrote:
I've seen posts regarding steps that won't deploy; I have the opposite problem. After a long drive (more than an hour), when I come to a stop light, the motor home is still in Drive, my Kwikee auto step tries to extend but immediately retracts. If it's been a particularly long haul, it will do it multiple times.

My theory: Kwikee manual says that steps may operate erratically if the coach batteries are not fully charged. Note that the way my RV is wired, the coach batteries are not recharged by the engine alternator (not sure why, all my other rigs were wired differently).

I'm thinking while I'm driving, I have a draw on the coach batteries...fridge & my GPS perhaps?

what year/make/model MH do you have. Winnebago just issued a recall for certain models and model years for that very problem.

OP has a 2012, not a Winne. The Winne recall is for 2015/2016 certain models with Kwikee steps. I cannot find where Winne has a remedy yet. It has been in research for at least 4 months by Winne. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This may shed some light on recall.
Step recall

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rvindave wrote:

what year/make/model MH do you have. Winnebago just issued a recall for certain models and model years for that very problem.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rvindave wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input; always thought steps were driven by house batteries, but knowing they are driven by chassis battery might well explain why this only occurs after extended driving.

My screen is a funny slider type, and is always in open position while I drive. I'll examine where exactly the magnet is that drives the auto steps, though I'm pretty sure its on the outer door.

Lots of good ideas, I'll try some out and will update this forum on my progress.

Steps are NOT always powered by the chassis battery system. They are SUPPOSED to be. But, A LOT of OEM's connect to the coach batteries. But, this is not your problem. Doug

rvindave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the input; always thought steps were driven by house batteries, but knowing they are driven by chassis battery might well explain why this only occurs after extended driving.

My screen is a funny slider type, and is always in open position while I drive. I'll examine where exactly the magnet is that drives the auto steps, though I'm pretty sure its on the outer door.

Lots of good ideas, I'll try some out and will update this forum on my progress.

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for good service at Large Chain R.V. dealers can be disappointing...Find an independent shop with a good reputation...

Next....I would be very surprised that motorhome came originally without the capability of charging house batteries via Engine Alternator...Just had that problem on a '06 Damon..turned out a bad connection..was repaired by the Cummins Onan dealer in Atlanta..

Next..."Usually" the power step gets the 12 volt power from Chassis battery rather than house batteries ... Find a good independent shop...good luck..if you are near Cummins/onan you might get lucky..

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
The Kwikee steps on our 2015 Itasca are a recall item for the same reason. I would call your manufacturer or Kwikee and see if they won't take care of this.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and you,d think CW would have seen this problem before.I vote check out the last three post before spending any more money on it. or call a mobil mech they seen most all problems.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of three posibilities

ONE: The inner door (Screen) is slightly bent and when you stop it moves out just enough to drop the magnetic reed switch in the jam.. NOTE> I give this one high marks as the likely suspect

2 and 3 are iditical but opposite

I forget without checking which is wich but either the old or new controllers the Magnetic switch is normally closed (that is door open switch closed) and on the other it's Normally Open (Door open switch open)

With the first, a short between the wires to the switch will extend the steps

With the second a loose connection will extend the steps.

I'm going to guess it is one of those 3.. My first suspect is the door.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I had to use small washers to extend the permanent magnet out to be closer to the magnetic switch when the door is closed, I had too big of gap to be reliable.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Replace the Door Magnet switch. Some use a PIN switch and no magnet. BUT, that is the FIRST place to start. The ONLY reason a step would attempt to deploy with the engine running(the ignition override should be engaged), is because the Door pin/magnetic switch is telling the step to deploy. Also, engage the DEADbolt lock on the entry door and then try to open the door. It will attempt to open about 1/4 inch until the Deadbolt stops it. IF the step tries or does extend, then the Door pin/magnetic switch is not adjusted correctly. The Step if the system I installed correctly will usually start to retract when the entry door is about 1 inch from fully closed. If the batteries were discharged, then there would be no power to operate the steps. Doug