cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking slide - missing seal?

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a 2012 Dutchmen 5er (324lbs) last fall just in time to store it. I opened it up a couple of weeks ago to start mods and cleaning, so I extended the slides. This week, I noticed that the carpet in the bedroom was wet on the driver side (same as the wardrobe slide). I figured that some water got in as it rained a few days ago and we had parked the trailer in the backyard slightly inclined to the passenger side, so the rain must have found a path under the slide and into the trailer. I retracted the slide, dried the wet carpet and did not notice it get wet again when it rained yesterday. I plan to pull up the carpet this summer and replace with flooring anyways, so not a big deal.
Today, I checked all the roof seams and vents to make sure they were not an entry point (good there), then extended the bedroom slide again and checked all the seals. Looking underneath, I can see the rollers and there is no gasket on the bottom:

So, my question is, is that normal, or do I need to add a seal there? If yes to adding a seal, what is the best product and best way to attach (screwed & caulked, silicone, etc)?

On another note, one of my dogs took a tight corner around the trailer and ripped off some of the finish trim on a slide:

Can I get this from any RV dealer?

Thanks!
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
9 REPLIES 9

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours will leak like that if we are not level. And, we do have a bottom seal. Park level and it always stays dry even if it rains hard.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I retracted and reextended the slide and noticed it did pucker at the top. Used a plastic pole to arrange it and will see if that might have been the cause (maybe I didnโ€™t notice it the first time). I will also check that screw as suggested.
Thanks for the advice!

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so this was bugging me. I went out and looked at my slide, which has the same gaskets, rollers, etc. There is a seal on mine, inside or past the rollers. Check yours. I think its made this way so that the seals dont get rolled up into the rollers.

Check the top corners. Mine pucker up every single time, and when i forget to fix it, water runs in the pucker, and down the slide frame between the double seals.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
The screw in the picture looks rusty. Remove it and see if the threads on the inside are also rusty. I had a problem like that and it was leaking in the upper trim piece of the inside of the slide. Removed all the trim on the sides of the slide cleaned and resealed them and no more leaking. The factory didnt seal the seams properly and they leaked.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
So, I guess in my case the fact that the trailer was inclined inwards (from the slideโ€™s perspective) would be enough to permit water to come in? I will check for puckered seals on top. Is there any harm in adding a seal on the bottom just to be safe?
I have not been able to find another possible place where the water could be coming in. I checked all the roof seams (they are Eternabonded) and the vent, no joy.

hilke40
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 cedar creek silverback has never leaked, and has seals under bedroom slide.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
If it leaked while the slide was opened, make sure that the seals on the top corners are not "puckered" leaving a gap. When mine does this, I get water in too. I use an old rod from my old trailer that used to be for pulling the awning out to reach up there to fix it.
Dave

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
My Cardinal bed slide looks similar to yours. There is no seal on the underside. Your leak is somewhere else.
Dave

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI figured that some water got in as it rained a few days ago and...โ€ Definitely water entered. Start with the roof on a 2012 RV....always start with the roof. Reseal it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad