cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Light Strip Installation

gmg
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering installing an LED light strip just under the new Dometic 9100 power awning. The installation seems fairly easy except where to get the power. I would like to hook it up directly to a 12 volt source. I am wondering what others have done to accomplish this.
2013 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Crewcab; Pullrite Superglide Hitch; 05 Everest 294L 5th Wheel.
6 REPLIES 6

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for the light fixture - with the caveat, I put watertight pushbutton switches on the fixture which allows me to turn it on and off.

The tape that comes with most of the strips (amazon) isn't good quality - and I ended up using some big box strong tape (it might have been either gorilla or 3m). I peeled it off on the back, stuck it to the light strip and with a pair of sharp scissors cut off the "left over" and reused it on another strip.

it's now been up for a couple of years.

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for porch light source

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
As mentioned I tied it to the porch light circuit. I took the bulb out of the porch light. Now when I hit the porch light switch the strip light comes on.
Porch light is a no brainer the switch is already there.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled a hole in the wall at the end of the strip. Ran the wires inside and supplied 12vdc power.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest thing might be to just run a hot wire with fuse straight off the battery just like the tongue Jack. You can run it down the frame and over next to the entry steps. Add a ground wire attached to the frame next to the steps and connect both to a matching plug for the controller. When setting up you can plug in the controller for the lights.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs have a light at the door under the awning. That seems the obvious place to get 12v power.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory