cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Lighting Panel Module Insert Quandary...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried to follow all the discussions as best I can regarding substitute LED module models, price, performance, durability, etc.

But I got lost in the process. It seems new models constantly appear and buyers shout "THIS ONE IS IT!" Then someone else chimes in and ridicules it.

Here's the situation...

Solar voltaic power has come to some parts of Mexico but it is in its infancy. Totally off-grid operation at remote ranchos. Deep cycle batteries are becoming more available CICLO PROFUNDO. Basic PWM controllers, and voltage meters. One rancho has a pair of 120 watt panels and two 110 amp hour group 31 batteries. A Samlex MSW 1,000 watt inverter...

And the saddest lighting I have ever seen.

Single tube 15 watt 12 volt fluorescent lamps. The fixtures are NOT Thin Lite brand, so as poor of efficiency as the Thin Lights were, these are worse. Three months and a six-dollar fluorescent tube has black ends, half the light output, and twice the amperage draw. An entire family gathers for supper and a one-tube stupid fixture is supposed to light up a 12 foot by sixteen foot dining and living room area. The one ranchito I speak of has six fluorescent fixtures. One for each room. The outdoor kitchen has no light whatsoever.

Sure, lights light those from Command Electronics are available but this is not the USA. Someone has to purchase any LED inserts, have them shipped to a USA address then someone else has to embark on a multi-day multi-thousand mile trip to go get them. Wait! There's more. Upon re-entering Mexico, one has to pass the MEXICANS CUSTOMS DUTY OFFICE. Can you believe a FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT TARIFF ON ITEMS MADE IN THE ORIENT ?!?

The import tax thing can be "handled" OK. What is difficult is finding THE LIGHT. The INSERT MODULE that does not have a high rate of failures, suicide by smoke, or a price tag that would make even my knees wobble. The folks grown their own food, milk their cows and maybe earn twenty or so dollars a day. Campesinos like this are the HEART and SOUL of Mexico. They have zero interest in becoming "indocumentos" north of the border. Everyone is better off if they stay here.

But the days of candles and smoky fires in 40C heat hopefully are gone. Children need to do their homework and chores. They need to bathe. No TV, only radio. And there is no need to worry about radio frequency buzz because they will simply turn everything off and turn the radio on.

Mexicans are NOT enamored with WARM lighting in the 3,000Kelvin range. They've had their fill of "warm" lighting for the last 500 years. Candlelight and "lumbres" (fires) do that to a person.

They much prefer 5,000K "sunlight" grade lighting. Not blue, but white.

So what I'm asking is merely the impossible.

Do reliable INEXPENSIVE 12 volt modules exist that are "something special" in the value department? They would be hard wired to switches. If affordable enough they can add more and more, then a battery, then another panel. You know the story...

These folks DO HAVE volt meters and they understand to not over-discharge a battery. Those 31's cost a hundred seventy dollars a pop.

Eduardo would handle the modules here in the store. The standard 20% markup would apply. I gain zero financially (actually go backward) but payment would be rendered in smiles.

You folk have way and far gone more experience with LED lighting than I do. I'll channel my energy into finding the lamp modules, making arrangements with the seller and then working with the buyers to have the modules installed in their fixtures the right way.

Yeah, this is a pretty serious request. Put yourself in their shoes, their lifestyle, and believe me your opinions are vital. They will be appreciated. People down here will learn anonymous Americanos all pitched in to help their southern friends.

Thank you.
28 REPLIES 28

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are very few 12V LED lights that are made like a bulb, first thing that comes to mind is a cob-shaped light like this. The come in 12V and 120V, and with all kinds of bases, and sometimes is enclosed in matte glass so it looks like a bulb.

Normally I'm trying not to buy things that are made in "Orient", but this becomes increasingly difficult, the situation has gotten out of proportions. So - yes, 400% tax in Mexico. If all other countries had a similar tax, we would have had more local products today, better quality, slightly higher retail prices, more jobs and cheaper raw materials. Probably a cleaner air as well.

Stores like Command Electronics are selling "mostly" US made lights, it says "60%" on their website, so this means 15% import tax, and they often have same prices or cheaper than Ebay. Though I don't see Bright White or Cool White on their site. You don't have to travel to the border, services like Postall will deliver to Baja - I think you said you are in Baja now. You have to ship it to Postall San Diego warehouse first, naturally. I never used this service, Nomads would tell you more.

If you do travel to the border, it is very unlikely that you will have to pay 400% tax on anything purchased in the US. Gringos bring things to their winter palaces, homes, and trailers on cinder blocks all the time, and usually pay 15% (if anything at all), even though most of those things are made in "Orient". Aduana might handle the issue differently when it's mailed in, though.

MrWizard
i was shopping IN-store at allelectronic yesterday and found these

they are not in the catalog

there is a 12vdc 12 inch strip in the front

and a double row 18 inch strip behind it,

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few items from my 'cool ideas' files, collected from various places. Maybe they can help or spark an idea?

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_985_0.html#msg10763

http://dornob.com/hot-solar-diy-make-led-lamps-from-used-water-bottles/

Edit: You may also find this link to Newark's Mexico distribution helpful.

http://mexico.newark.com/cree

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few plastics that GOOP does not stick to. But rough 'em up with some 90 grit and it'll stick just fine. Chemical versus chemical (different glues) and all bets are off. I just soldered (8) AA alkaline batteries series parallel (3.0 volts) and made an emergency bedside "Flip The Switch When It's Pitch Black" single white LED nightlight. No resistors to eat power and do nothing. After this little puppy lights up I can grope for the battery powered emergency lighting switches. When they light up, I can switch the BiPAP, light off the Fantastic Endless breeze and go back to sleep.

I used GOOP to glob the AA batteries together, hold down the wires, and affix the LED in its bezel.

Now I need to dig into "The Toughest Name In Tools" 190 LED rechargeable lantern and find out what quit. It has multiple (2) stage recharging and the float, ain't. The NiMH batteries go flat after 2 weeks if the lantern is left on FLOAT with the green LED burning. So I have it hooked to my 120 volt nightlight buss. It recharges, but I am getting ready to "serious" the battery pack, maybe with Lithium Ion 10 or so amp hours. Everything has to come from the states of course.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I use GOOPยฎ the best adhesive on the face of the earth. I've used it in dripping 40C steambath conditions, 50C blow your brains out deathray heat, -30C and GOOP just laughs and keeps on sticking.

Just put in a fast note. Today mostly is follow-that-link day for LED's AGM's and other "mandatos".

I had an led panel that the double sided sticky tape wouldn't stick, so I glued it on with Goop. The Goop wouldn't stick to the sticky tape. I ended up putting a piece of paper on the sticky tape and then glueing it with Goop. Hasn't moved since.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I use GOOPยฎ the best adhesive on the face of the earth. I've used it in dripping 40C steambath conditions, 50C blow your brains out deathray heat, -30C and GOOP just laughs and keeps on sticking.

Just put in a fast note. Today mostly is follow-that-link day for LED's AGM's and other "mandatos".

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought. As my referenced posting indicates, I did this mod last spring so I don't have much history to judge the longevity of the strips. So far they look good, but the light is in the bathroom and does not get much use. It has never seen temperatures like it would see in Mexico. No telling how the adhesive might behave.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi Mex,

How about this?

led fluorescent replacement

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the light. ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard

Green LED

more led stuff

hope this helps
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
A few words about the fluorescent lamp.

I bought it at Walmart a few years ago. It was designed to use 8 AA cells. I looked for a part number, etc but all I could find was a GE logo.

I have another similar light, but not quite the same. The only marking I could find was "MADE IN CHINA".

Not much help I'm afraid.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"and soldering and pulling thicker wire through the gooseneck"

The only goosenecks down here are still attached to the geese and they might get excited when wire is pulled through them and soldered.

But your information is mighty interesting. Modifying a desk type "goose-neck" lamp would be wonderful. Those stupid CFL bulbs are so heavy they pull the lamp over on it's side. Anyway I have cut and pasted your modifications to the hard drive.

But I am going to be facing a TON of work no matter how fine I cut this. Modifying everything from scratch is beyond my aged physical abilities. I hope you and everyone else will forgive me.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
tenbear, that is EXACTLY the lamps, all thirty something in all the houses. I do not know if your strips are special-size for these fixtures. If they are, oh what the hell am I saying, I need sources where I can order these critters online or by telephone, have them shipped to the USA receiving address and then go pick them up. The BEAUTY of what you did is that SOME of the fixtures will do nicely with one panel while others can be loaded to the max. The images seem to suggest the lamp temperature is pure white. Dang this may be easier than I thought.

Sadly when the word LED is mentioned down here, truckers think tail lights and everyone else thinks pretty blue and green flashing lights on cars and bicycle valve stems. People are still weaning off of incandescent lights. These critters (maybe eighty to a hundred panels) are going to have to come from the states. I hope the price isn't cruel.

I bought my strips on eBay. Here is the seller's eBay store. I bought mine for under $5, I don't remember the exact amount. The roll is 5 meters long, enough to do several lamps.

The strips are not special. The one I bought is 5/16" wide and can be cut every 3 leds, about 2". There are solder pads on both ends of each 2" strip. I bought the warm white.

You could probably contact the seller through eBay to arrange a bulk purchase.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly the ranchos therefore the fixtures are 92km distant over bad roads. So I am ignorant of the physical dimensions of these particular fixtures. They were shown to me via a cellphone camera. If I had a model number for tenbear's fixtures or dimensions, it would help immensely. "Almost fitting" is not the way I want to do this. Once I have dimensions, I can go shopping. But from what I've read on this forum some modules are junk, or performance hyped to absurdity by the manufacturer. It would be SO MUCH EASIER from north of the border. I've got ONE SHOT to get this right...