cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Tailight Weak Flashing Issue - *Solved*

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
***not sure if "taillight" or "tail light" is correct" as I've seen both...

Item in question is the Bargman series 84 light set with the 47-84-420 LED part #.

Just one side has the issue of an intermittent weak flash. Test light flashes correctly so I believe this indicates good signal from the wiring

If I apply the test light to the connection, then the LED assumes full strength again. I'm guessing this is an issue with he LED light but before I apply a fix action, I wanted to determine from the experts if adding a permanent small load (as the test light does) would be smart or just try a repacement LED light for about $30?

Thank you

*Replaced the fixture with above mentioned part # and it works as it should. Problem was a malfunctioning LED fixture and not the wiring. Thanks for the help from everyone!
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD
22 REPLIES 22

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Apply independent + - feed to lamp, What happens?

That was going to be my next action, but knowing that the 12 volt test light probe touching the connection in parallel convinces the LED light to operate normal, I thought that the extra load applied (test light) might be a factor.

I scrounged a small resistor (30 ohms) and added it in in series with the problem LED and it works normal. Just not sure if his is an acceptable fix.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
What do you mean by "Weak flash" (NOt as bright or different speed)

most common issue is a bad ground on the lamp socket though any bad connection might do it

Flashers. come in two flavors one the light comes on the INSTANT you move the lever.. This type can be seriously affected by lamp current.

The other the light comes on a fraction (about 1/2) second later. This one can flash one lamp, 10 lamps. more.

And now days we have all electronic (Solid state) and those.. I can not comment on never having used one.

I'm calling the weak flash a dimmer level of brightness coupled with a faint "blinking" versus a much more noticeable brightness and a distinct "blinking" equal to the other (normal) side. I connected to a different tow vehicle and the issue remains, so I don't think it's the vehicle's system failing to deliver a strong signal.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe change suspected bulb to one you know works and see if your problem still exist. Just a thought
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since only one light does it, it isn't the flasher. That's a good thing since I beieve it's in the TIPM.
I would just replace the light itself. It sounds like its drivers are messed up.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What do you mean by "Weak flash" (NOt as bright or different speed)

most common issue is a bad ground on the lamp socket though any bad connection might do it

Flashers. come in two flavors one the light comes on the INSTANT you move the lever.. This type can be seriously affected by lamp current.

The other the light comes on a fraction (about 1/2) second later. This one can flash one lamp, 10 lamps. more.

And now days we have all electronic (Solid state) and those.. I can not comment on never having used one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"not sure if "taillight" or "tail light" is correct" as I've seen both..."

Great thing about American English is if enough spell it "wrong" it becomes "right." The change from "hung" to "hanged" still bothers me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Apply independent + - feed to lamp, What happens?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the issue is your flasher unit, not the LED driver.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB