cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights are out

dragonflyspit
Explorer
Explorer
Got back today to find all the 12-volt living area lights are out, and so is the refrigerator. The 12-volt plugs work, and the water pump works. There are only about 6 fuses and they look okay.

Dry camping. No generator on. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder motorhome.

Ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the things I'm fond of saying is that we RVers often have a few screws loose.

YOU have done a very good job of describing the symptoms of a bad connection,, Due to the way 12 volt wiring is done, Most likely a ground conection,, A screw, that holds a wire terminal to the frame some where.

Normal vibration from moving around re-made the connection.

NOTE: these are a witch to track down. UNLESS.. you know where the common to the things that did not work ground terminal bolts to the frame.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dragonflyspit
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what today. Everything is working fine now, and I haven't done a thing. I deliberately didn't tighten wires because I wanted to see if the lights came on as I did it, but nothing has gone off since that one, isolated event. Very curious.

My converter is Progressive Dynamics, not the one suggested by a poster. The coach batteries are all good, full, etc. My 12-volt outlets are wired to the house batteries, not the starter battery.

I'm baffled. Must be voodoo. ;-).

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Check the ground for your coach battery. Fleetwood runs the ground to the chassis and bolts it to the frame, mine came loose once.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure your house battery is good? the two 12volt plug sockets could be wired to the starting battery. Your statement every thing worked when the generator was running but nothing in the morning, would point me to a low or dead battery or loose wire from battery. what is the battery reading with out the generator running?
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
What do you mean by 12 Volt Plugs? All the electrical Outlets are 115 Volts!

NOT TRUE

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I am betting you have a Magnetek linear converter and the chageover relay is bad. A number of 12 volt items are hooked to the filtered battery line- these are the right hand 1 - 3 fuses in the panel, the rest are switched.
-- Chris Bryant

dragonflyspit
Explorer
Explorer
Rob, I have 2 12-volt plugs in this beast. They look just like the lighter in a car.

Mike, everything worked normally when the generator was on last night, but I awoke to no lights or fridge again this morning. I accidentally left a light on as I was dressing, and a few minutes later, damned if it didn't turn on all by itself. Then the refrigerator clicked on by itself, and magically, I have lights and a fridge now.

Obviously, I know it isn't magic. I don't know much about RV wiring, but I believe both of these support your loose wire hypothesis. With the gen on last night, there was enough current to jump the tiny gap of the loose wire. And as I stomped around getting dressed this morning, the loose connection made contact and, voila, lights. I will tighten everything I can reach at the fuse box, and PM you if I need help. Thanks very much for your help.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Without a hand-held meter or a test light go to the closet and drag out your Ouija Board.

No slide-out?

OK In desperation....

Drag your car's battery inside. Connect 2 wires to the battery. Making damned sure you don't get positive and negative reversed, CAREFULLY touch the ends of the jumper wires to the socket where you removed a bulb.

SPARKS! You have a short.

POSSUM! None of the other dead lights or refrigerator light up. You have a cut wire or bad connection somewhere. This includes a trunk ground wire for that circuit.

The symptoms as you describe them shout FUSE! so bad it isn't funny. But you claim you "checked" them.

But without you having a three dollar test light or four dollar electrical meter this is like playing a video game blindfolded.

Best of luck to you...

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my 87 Southwind and it was the GFCI outlet located in the bathroom. It was tripped and had killed all the power to every 120v outlet, refrigerator, etc. I pressed the reset button and everything went back to work. Mine tripped because my grandson plugged an electric tire pump into the outside outlet which turned out to have problems with the 120 to 12 volt adapter.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fuses look OK ?

Did you test each fuse, fuse position or just look at them. Looks can be deceiving. Need to test that 12V is at each fuse and goes thru each fuse.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean by 12 Volt Plugs? All the electrical Outlets are 115 Volts!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
While it is likely the power feeds out to your lights and refrigerator are on separate circuits, back almost 30 years ago, who knows.

But it is more likely your return wires that may be loose. Start by putting your screwdriver on each and every wire that is not on the fuse box, but is on the return terminal strip, tighten the screw terminal, then pull the wire to see it is secure. Then do the same for each and every wire connected to the fuses on both sides.

If that doesn't fix it, you will have to go to your fridge and figure out whether it's the power feed or the return feed that isn't working. PM me for help.

mike
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel