Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lithium batteries and shore power

uraberg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

I'm a first timer. I see a weatlth of information here, that i'm going to go through to get myself up to speed, but in the mean time i'd like to ask a question.

My (new to me) travel trailer is a coleman lantern LT 17RD. It supplies about 13.8V to the battery while on shore power.

I am replacing the little Lead acid battery (that is dead) with a large (400aH) lithium battery.

Is it safe for the lithium battery to remain connected while the camper is powered? How have people that switched to lithium wired everything up?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I checked with Power Dynamics re my PD4635 converter if it will be OK with my brand new 2 100AH LiFePo4 batteries. They said yes, but to charge them with the boost mode button pushed in. I have The Trimetric TM-2030 Battery-Monitor and it will work OK. Unfortunately my bad health, cancer & hip replacement, happened right after the batteries arrived and I have not been able to go on a trip with them. My RV is stored now until next spring when I hope to be able to go.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Battle Born recommends a bulk charge voltage of 14.4.

uraberg
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll: Thanks for the link. I didn't even consider looking into a better (more appropriate) converter.

Matt_collie: you make an excellent point. but the most logical place for it to go would be under the bed. I'm not sure if i'm entirely comfortable with a big ass lithium battery under my bed...

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Uraberg,

The reason batteries are outside or in vented compartments is because flooded batteries outgas nasty stuff. LiFePo4 don't do this. So, if you find someplace else to put it with no outside access, it will be safe there. You can use what was the battery space to store things like old wood for leveling, or the rug for the bottom of the step or other things that will have no appeal to thieves.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
13.8 continuous should not hurt the lithium one bit assuming it needs 14.4 to 14.6 to fully charge.
I would replace the converter with a Boondocker brand.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-BD1260CL-60-Amp-4-Stage-ConverterCharger

The DC-DC charge booster for alternator charging is fine too. Eventually you may want 200 to 400 watts solar.

uraberg
Explorer
Explorer
The battery has a BMS built in with over/under charge/discharge protection as well as under/over temp.

Since the camper is stored off-site, I was planning on taking the battery with me each time (My back is going to love that), so it wouldn't be connected during storage.

I know lithium needs voltage in the upper 14's to reach full charge. I plan on doing this off the tow vehicle with a DC to DC charger.

The question still is: Is it safe to leave the battery connected while the converter is putting 13.8V onto it. I guess I could simply disconnect the battery while on power...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Lithium has it's Quirks !
Do Not leave the battery connected while stored aka Not Camping

A drop in (lithium) battery with built in BMS should be ok connected to shore power while camping

The info from the (battery) Mfg should specify how and when

Concur ! A BMS (typically built in) is critical !

If the maximum voltage your converter can output is 13.8V, this may not be adequate. Check with the battery/BMS manufacturer !

MrWizard
Lithium has it's Quirks !
Do Not leave the battery connected while stored aka Not Camping

A drop in battery with built in BMS
Should be ok connected to shore power while camping

The info from the Mfg should specify how and when
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will need to change the Converter to install a lithium battery.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.