cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Located some propane leaks

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to make a manometer for fun and wanted to check my propane system pressure and also test for leaks. Did a bunch of research first to do the checks correctly.
I did tap the port on the fridge for the pressure check and did adjust the regulator up a bit.
But then I did a leak down test at the stove burner orifice and it did indicate some leakage. ( Slight but it bugged me).
So then I bought a gas sniffer and discovered a leak at a coupler in the middle of the 1/2โ€ black pipe manifold that runs the length underneath the trailer.
In order to fix it I had to completely remove the 20โ€™ of pipe anyway so I just replaced all the pipe and a coupler and a tee.
Got that all reassembled and with another leak test it still showed a very slight leak down.
Since I had the stovetop disassembled, I ran the gas sniffer around the gas connections and sure enough the sniffer indicated a leak at the stove regulator connection.
Had to completely pull that whole stovetop gas manifold out to get at the regulator.
Put everything back together and the leak down test showed no leaks at all even after a half hour.
Now Iโ€™m not sure what the definitive test is for this but from what I could find online people would say that a fifteen minute test suffices.
Anyway, Iโ€™m posting this to make you all aware that small propane leaks are very possible in an rv. Is a very small leak a big deal? I guess thatโ€™s subjective. My rig is a 13 year old fifth wheel and Iโ€™m just trying to stay on top of things...
14 REPLIES 14

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
MySuncoastRV wrote:
A good method to test for propane leaks is to utilize your manometer at the stove by disconnecting the flute. The normal operating pressure should read between 10-15psi max. Bleed the pressure down to 3psi by opening the adjacent burner valve. Let the manometer sit idle for 3 minutes. If it remains at 3psi you have no leaks. Checking for leaks at full pressure is not advised as expansion of the gas could mask leaks at that pressure while using a monometer.

Disconnect the flute? :h

I believe you mean inches of water, not psi, for the pressures; gas appliances operate at somewhere in the vicinity of 0.4 psi (for the appliances and systems we're talking about).

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I notice some detectors specify "Natural Gas", others "LPG" and some specify Both.
Is this labeling or an actual difference in the detectors? We don't have "Gas" at home, so my only interest would be LPG for RV, BBQ, etc.

Yeah I wondered about that also but if you read the details it says it detects any combustible gas

MySuncoastRV
Explorer
Explorer
A good method to test for propane leaks is to utilize your manometer at the stove by disconnecting the flute. The normal operating pressure should read between 10-15psi max. Bleed the pressure down to 3psi by opening the adjacent burner valve. Let the manometer sit idle for 3 minutes. If it remains at 3psi you have no leaks. Checking for leaks at full pressure is not advised as expansion of the gas could mask leaks at that pressure while using a monometer.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I notice some detectors specify "Natural Gas", others "LPG" and some specify Both.
Is this labeling or an actual difference in the detectors? We don't have "Gas" at home, so my only interest would be LPG for RV, BBQ, etc.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Did the leak detector eventually pinpoint all the leaks? No soap and water?

As far as I know,yes. I did also use the bubble test but some of the leaks were in a tight spot and I would of had a hard time seeing bubbles. I just thought that gas sniffer was the hot ticket as all you have to do is probe an area and get immediate results.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Did the leak detector eventually pinpoint all the leaks? No soap and water?

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
What OB said. The national standard is 3 minutes with zero change, some states go to 15 minutes, which is what I always did. Pressure drop test every time the system is opened, and annually.

The thinking behind the three minutes is a leak that small will not result in a flammable concentration of lp. Also keep in mind the electric valves on all of the appliances actually have an "allowable" leak rate, very small, but allowed.

Thanks Chris, interesting to know..

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
What OB said. The national standard is 3 minutes with zero change, some states go to 15 minutes, which is what I always did. Pressure drop test every time the system is opened, and annually.

The thinking behind the three minutes is a leak that small will not result in a flammable concentration of lp. Also keep in mind the electric valves on all of the appliances actually have an "allowable" leak rate, very small, but allowed.
-- Chris Bryant

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leak test
Manometer hooked up...system pressurized and showing 11" WC
Drop LP System pressure down from 11" WC to 8" WC (remove issue with regulator 'lockup')
Timed test...3 minutes
Pressure drops in that 3 minutes....leak(s)
Pressure rises in that three minutes...service valve leaking thru
Pressure remains constant....OK

YES...3 minutes is all that is needed
Dealing with VERY VERY LOW pressures so if there is a leak it will show on the manometer within 3 minutes
11"WC/0.39 psi
8"WC/0.29 psi
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Spridle wrote:
Jetstraemer, are you willing to share which detector you used.

Nothing special just something off Amazon...

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Betcha if you check your manual, it recommends a leak down and pressure test annually, my manual does.

I doubt very many people do the annual services recommended.

Here is a good page full of info;
http://www.rverscorner.com/manometer.html
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Usually 30 minutes with zero leakage is standard for piping system air or hydro testing.

Spridle
Explorer
Explorer
Jetstraemer, are you willing to share which detector you used.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job. I'm impressed. That's a lot of work. No doubt you are not alone!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog