cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a better replacement 50A recep and plug.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time to replace the plug and receptacle on my 50A ext cord.

Looking for something better than the cheap Camco stuff. Is the Progressive Industries product any better?

I have looked on Ebay and Amazon and nothing jumps ot at me as being better.

I thought I had seen some really good ones at a show once.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
13 REPLIES 13

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:

http://www.corddepot.com/shop/generators/nema-14-50r-connector/ $35

Note the clamp connection

These are the ones I saw at an RV show. I'll save this link and try them next time.

I got the Progressive in. My only complaint is they use steel hardware. I'll replace the cover hardware with stainless.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Green,

I had a Camco 30 amp male and female pair which has burn marks on it. I was plugged into a 15 amp circuit at the time. What would have happened at 30 amps?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever installed one? Every replacement connector except the Progressive uses a simple screw to terminate the wire- it is a huge pita to get a #10 stranded wire all under that screw. The Progressive has a captive type termination- you stick the wire in a pocket and a set screw tightens against it- much, much better. The case is also not much larger than the molded. Plus, it's made in the USA.
-- Chris Bryant

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
How come everyone's bashing the Camco plugs? The yellow ones with handles? I love those things--to my eye they seem much sturdier than the progressives.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I said Coleman for the recep. Its Cooper and not too bad, better than the Camco.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

May I ask you to post a link to this item? Thanks in advance.

Big Katuna wrote:

On edit, I cant find their plug. Found the recep easy enough.
Amazon Prime $20.

clicky

I rounded down.

The Hubbel is $61. I think not.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a new cord with a right angle connection at the camper end to avoid the strain which was pulling the cable out of the connector. (Probably not my best work to install the connector)
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a power inlet or are you making up an extension cord?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

May I ask you to post a link to this item? Thanks in advance.

Big Katuna wrote:

Amazon Prime $20.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Chris! Your word is good enough for me.

Amazon Prime $20.

Found the plug on their website and they do sell direct but I ain't paying $11 shipping just yet.

Foound a Coleman that looks a little better than Camco, under $20 but I think Ill keep looking

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the Progressive Industries connectors- much better termination than the Camco stuff, and seemingly heavier conductors.
-- Chris Bryant