cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for some help deciding on which batteries.....

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing my current two RV/Marine batteries since they're about 5-6 years old and arent holding much of a charge anymore.

I have a couple local choices for batteries and I was looking for opinions on the few options I have.

I can pick up a couple 6 volt Trojan T-105's for about $180 each.
Specs are 225 amp hr @ 20 hr / 185 amp hr @ 5 hr

Or I can get a couple 12 volt Exide deep cycle for around $100 each.
Spec are 105 amp hr @ 20 hr / no other data

Or the AGM batteries around here are very expensive at $190+ each.
Specs are 95 amp hr @ 20 hr / 78 amp hr @ 5 hr

So..... I'm going to throw a guess out there that the Trojan's are the best bet but I just wanted to be sure what you all think before I make any rash decisions. Unless someone has some better ideas. :B
85 REPLIES 85

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
mchero wrote:
Anybody know fi you can find some good deals in Quartzsite? Will be down their for the RV & Jem show.
Was at Q a couple years ago. Fair to moderately high prices.
No liquidation prices or even real discount. Better off with Amazon for most stuff IMO.
Still fun to walk through or find something unique.

Ohhh Yeah. I'm seeing that B4 I even get their! I tell ya now I won't find Trojan T105's for 125 a pop like I did today. I shop exclusively via the net unless I spot a good deal in a shop.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
mchero wrote:
Anybody know fi you can find some good deals in Quartzsite? Will be down their for the RV & Jem show.
Was at Q a couple years ago. Fair to moderately high prices.
No liquidation prices or even real discount. Better off with Amazon for most stuff IMO.
Still fun to walk through or find something unique.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Just walked into a battery shop here in Havasu. Had a stack of T105's for about 125.00. Was REALLY surprised by the price! Most places want 160.00 for those suckers!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the T105's myself. I have room for 4 of the Trojan L16's but those suckers hare TALL & heavy!
The Interstate batteries I have never get up to a full charge! Interstate wants you to absorb at 15.3 My Xantrex Freedom will ramp only up to 14.8 absorb!
I have them on the Midnight Classic charge controller now! I increased the absorb voltage and they are getting a GOOD juicing now!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
AZDesertRat wrote:
Anyone have any hands on experience with the Trojan T-1275 true deep cycle 12 volts? I can get a pair of them here in Phoenix for $310 total delivered and installed. 82 lbs apiece versus 62 for the Group 29/31 marine deep cycles found everywhere so much more lead.

Yes, I do... and would suggest unless you like baby sitting batteries to fully recharge them, get a set or 2 pair of Trojan T-105 GC2 batteries instead. Much easier to recharge, top charge and equalized charge and keep the specific gravity in spec for all 6 cells. The T-105's will most likely last longer also.

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any hands on experience with the Trojan T-1275 true deep cycle 12 volts? I can get a pair of them here in Phoenix for $310 total delivered and installed. 82 lbs apiece versus 62 for the Group 29/31 marine deep cycles found everywhere so much more lead.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
This is in San Diego;
http://tijuana.craigslist.com.mx/ptd/5384757386.html
Might be worth a trip!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Almot
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mchero wrote:
look at the prices on atbatt.com! They sell the T105's for 130.00. If you can pickup to avoid $hipping co$t$.

Anybody know fi you can find some good deals in Quartzsite?
I doubt that QZ peddlers can beat these prices.
You can get T-105 at AZ WindSun, $150 with free pickup in Flagstaff.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
look at the prices on atbatt.com! They sell the T105's for 130.00. If you can pickup to avoid $hipping co$t$.

Anybody know fi you can find some good deals in Quartzsite? Will be down their for the RV & Jem show. "Might" hang till April so I'll be around "after show". Don't know what type of battery pricing to expect.

Might be worth a trip elsewhere like san diego, in your towed vehicle if in a motor home.

Quartzsite is spendy, fish in a barrel type pricing on everything.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer

Anybody know fi you can find some good deals in Quartzsite? Will be down their for the RV & Jem show. "Might" hang till April so I'll be around "after show". Don't know what type of battery pricing to expect.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
KATOOM wrote:
I have heard some positive things about the US 2200 6 volt battery so..... :h Maybe a better choice?

I've always had US battery golf carts, primarily because they were a bit cheaper than Trojan's locally. But that can vary from place to place and time to time.

The two I have now have been pretty good, though one seems weaker than the other.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
They want to minimize the generator use, there is nothing wrong with this.

The plan is "out in the woods for a couple days with running couple of lights and water pump". This is under 50 AH a day even if you throw in 10-15 Ah for LP fridge. 200-220 AH bank will work fine without re-charging.

On a good day 200W solar would easily harvest 50-60 AH - not really necessary in this particular scenario, but this would extend the battery life because the cycle wouldn't be as deep.

If they choose to run a microwave or other high-wattage loads, they will have to run a generator because 220 AH wet bank is marginal for 100A current, and they don't plan on getting a bigger bank or AGM.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
KATOOM wrote:

I have a generator but prefer not to use it unless I'm needing it for specific high amp loads over longer periods of time.

Get the two T-105s

There isn't likely to be a significant performance difference in any of the ones you have listed. It is generally accepted that two 6's in series are slightly better.....slightly.

But don't be so allergic to your generator. I run mine for at least an hour each morning and each evening just to run the microwave and charge the batteries.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 of the Interstate 6v golf cart batteries. not really holding a charge any more. I did load test them & the voltage held well within specs BUT just like last night, DW had to use the microwave so we started the genset, 7.5 Quiet Diesel connected to Xantrex Freedom.
Juiced the batteries BUT about 6AM I herd the genset startup, should have been waiting for the solar (1K) to take over. Thanks another post.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee