cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low propane indicator?

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 propane tanks with an auto switching regulator. The regulator does exactly what it is designed to do. The only bad part is I don't know when it switches unless I go outside and check it daily. That could be risky when it's cold outside as I wouldn't know how long it had been on the backup tank. The other day I switched it over, didn't have a spare tank, and ran out before I could get tanks filled. What I need is some sort of gauge or indicator that I can wire up to something inside the RV that I can glance at. The only other option at the moment is to leave #2 tank turned off until needed. Then replace empty, and have at standby. The bad thing would be the furnace quitting from lack of propane at 3 am and 35 degrees outside. Anyone have any suggestions?
48 REPLIES 48

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
If I don't remember, I remove and heft the tanks before a trip. I can tell close to full versus empty. If there's doubt, I top them off before leaving. Doesn't everybody? I mean seriously?!
Let me ask you a question: Is it easier to use a small pen sized gadget to check the level, or is it easier to unhook the lines, screw out the tank retaining mechanism, lean the tank to the side so it can be removed to "heft the tank"? I mean seriously?! My tank storage is extremely awkward to access so why should I do it your way just because you think everyone else should do as you do. I mean seriously?!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Never topped off a propane cylinder in almost 20 years of dragging around an RV.
Refill at the indicator only. Sometimes I come home with an empty but always have it filled in short order.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Crazy. If one runs out at night, get up and switch to the other. Next day refill the empty. I'm not clever enough for anything else. I rarely need need propane at night anyhow. If it was cold enough, I'd turn on the 12v heated blanket timer and go back to sleep. Morning is soon enough.
Great idea provided you use your trailer consistently. Some of us don't, believe it or not. Sometimes it's a couple months between usages, and memories can be tricky things. You may forget that the one tank is empty and you switched over to the other tank but didn't fill the empty. How do you check to see how full the tanks are before you take off? Or do you just roll the dice? I prefer to be able to check my tanks before I leave and fill as necessary.
If I don't remember, I remove and heft the tanks before a trip. I can tell close to full versus empty. If there's doubt, I top them off before leaving. Doesn't everybody? I mean seriously?!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
we also had a switching type regulator, and never had a problem, we would go up to the trailer, on friday night, turn on both tanks, every day check the sight glass, if it changed to red, one tank was empty.. and knew that the other tank would last a few days any way, and get it filled before the other would go empty..

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
Crazy. If one runs out at night, get up and switch to the other. Next day refill the empty. I'm not clever enough for anything else. I rarely need need propane at night anyhow. If it was cold enough, I'd turn on the 12v heated blanket timer and go back to sleep. Morning is soon enough.
Great idea provided you use your trailer consistently. Some of us don't, believe it or not. Sometimes it's a couple months between usages, and memories can be tricky things. You may forget that the one tank is empty and you switched over to the other tank but didn't fill the empty. How do you check to see how full the tanks are before you take off? Or do you just roll the dice? I prefer to be able to check my tanks before I leave and fill as necessary.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Davidlee64
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a Dometic LPGC10 gas checker. It will make it easy to check actual propane levels in each tank. I am running one tank at a time.
eBay Item number 302629079400
Item price $39.00

Dometic LPGC10 gas checker

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion. If buying bottles at Costo, Home Depot, Lowes, or similar, check the manufacturing date and also inspect for damage, when selecting which bottle(s) to take.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
From what I've seen, 30 lb. tanks with gauges are 2 to 3 times as much as a 30 lb. tank without a gauge. You could be looking at around $300 for a pair of them.

30 lb CYLINDERS are low-volume sales, so prices can get tricky, but I still remember about 5 years ago Costco had 20 lb cylinders with both options.
It was $20 for just a cylinder or $25 for one with gauge.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Housted wrote:
This is what I made for both our 5ers. It measures the little piston/indicator in the valve. When the led turns on I know the first tank is empty. I then switch manually over to the other tank so I know when it goes empty. by doing this the empty one is the one the arrow points to. I leave both valves open always.

See also next pic

Housted

X2 been using these for 9 months. Have worked fine for me. So far haven't run out yet.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many of those auto-cross over regulators have a simple pressure gauge on 'em with Red/green scales. If not any Major propane shop will have 'em.

These device are actually kind of a 2-stage regulator with selectable 1st stage

The "In use" tank.. if it has gas, delivers over 100 PSI to the main regulator input. and the gauge, which taps in here, shows GREEN

But when the main tank runs dry, pressure drops. Now the change over valve.. Which is a king of regulator, allows gas in from the 2nd tank BUT AT A MUCH LOWER PRESSURE the gauge shows red.

no reason the gauge can not be moved to a window by a good propane shop
I'd not want it INDOORS (Safety) but outside a window is fine

That is where it was on my Mother's Kitchen after all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I've seen, 30 lb. tanks with gauges are 2 to 3 times as much as a 30 lb. tank without a gauge. You could be looking at around $300 for a pair of them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
With all those replies and working, or not Bluetooth gizmos, why not just get cylinders with gauge on them?
I have those factory mounted on Fleetwood and all it takes is open compartment door to know exactly where I stand with minimal errors.
Cylinders require certification every 10 years, what cost almost what new tank does, so if you are close to that point- the decision should be easy.