cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP Generator Starts then Stalls

ghmuller
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ONAN 5500 LP Generator. My 5th Wheel has 3 40 lb bottles. Two on a two-stage auto-changeover regulator, and one on it's own regulator.
The main lines from each regulator are connected via a T. The hose for the generator is connected to a T located at the output of the single-tank regulator. The gnerator has always worked fine. Recently Jayco did a recall to replace a potentially bad regualtor. They replace the auto-changeover regulator with a Camco model.

I recently went on a trip and tried to use the generator. The single tank is shut off, and the dual tanks are on. The generator starts, and then stalls in 3 seconds. Sounds fuel starved. I opened the single tank and the generator will start and run fine. I can run with only the single tank on, and the generator, 40,000 btu furnace and stove all run at the same time. If I turn on the dual tanks and shut off the single, the generator stalls and the furnace goes out. 30 seconds later the furnace re-ignites and runs okay. It seesms as though the new regulator can't supply the amount of LP that the generator demands. Has anyone experience this kind of problem? Any ideas of what I can check? (When they replaced the regulator they did a leak-down test but did not do a demand test).

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Check the air filter.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

dpglifestyle
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue when I replaced my regulator. New regulator was said to be capable of supplying up to 400,000BTU but generator error codes said fuel issue. Returned Camco regulator and replaced with different brand and problem solved. Sounds like the regulator on your single tank has the ability to supply enough volume.
2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually

ghmuller
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Wonder if the two tied tanks have an excess flow prevented?? If so, turn off both tanks and VERY slowly open the valves.

They can run the furnace and stove, but Iโ€™ll try this.

ghmuller
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I'll guess that the new regulator is either defective or inadequate for the additional gen propane requirement. Did Jacoy supply 3 tanks, T etc. or has there been modifications?

Yes the RV came with the three tanks. No mods.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if the two tied tanks have an excess flow prevented?? If so, turn off both tanks and VERY slowly open the valves.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Sounds like you diagnosed the problem 100%.
It also appears that the dealer replaced the old one.
Is there a reason not to call them and tell them, the new regulator they installed doesn't work right, and get it replaced again?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll guess that the new regulator is either defective or inadequate for the additional gen propane requirement. Did Jacoy supply 3 tanks, T etc. or has there been modifications?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob